The Student Room Group

Detaching myself from my parent?

How do I detach myself from my parent emotionally, and possibly even physically, taking into account the fact that I am currently 16?
Is there a reason, I suppose is the first question to ask?
Reply 2
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
How do I detach myself from my parent emotionally, and possibly even physically, taking into account the fact that I am currently 16?

Believe me, you don't want to purposefully detach yourself from your parents. Worst mistake I made.
Reply 3
what seems to be the problem ? ...
Reply 4
ive emotionally detached myself from my mum about 2 years ago, now i just feel resentment and anger towards her. it wasn't done purposely but if you want to physically detach yourselves from them don't stay with them it does the trick.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by acupofgreentea
Is there a reason, I suppose is the first question to ask?

Original post by TeeEm
what seems to be the problem ? ...

For reasons I cant specify in detail. But all I know is that it is hurting me emotionally and mentally to be around them. Its affecting my education, social life and the way I act in general.

Its making me want to hurt myself and I know wouldn't want to do that.

Severing your umbilical cord would be a good start I think
Reply 7
For reasons I cant specify in detail. But all I know is that it is hurting me emotionally and mentally to be around them. Its affecting my education, social life and the way I act in general.

Its making me want to hurt myself and I know wouldn't want to do that.

I do not think anyone here could give sensible advice ...
Discuss the matter with someone you can confide away from TSR first.
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Believe me, you don't want to purposefully detach yourself from your parents. Worst mistake I made.

I guess, for me, its just one specific parent. But if I choose to detach myself from them, my other parent will never talk to me for certain.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Severing your umbilical cord would be a good start I think

:awesome:
Original post by mkap
ive emotionally detached myself from my mum about 2 years ago, now i just feel resentment and anger towards her. it wasn't done purposely but if you want to physically detach yourselves from them don't stay with them it does the trick.

How?
You may want to consider getting a professional opinion on the matter - talk to a therapist if needed.
Reply 12
How?

it just happened. my mums very cold, not loving at all and doesnt treat her children well
You only know you love her when you let her go...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by homeland.lsw
You only know you love her when you let her go...

Spoiler

Been listening to that on repeat :flower2:

Spoiler

Been listening to that on repeat :flower2:

Spoiler

I don't really know a proper answer...maybe if you just talk to her as a matter of a formality and show no emotion towards her...
*him.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending