The Student Room Group

Failed driving test - Do you think I should appeal???

So I had my second driving test today, which I also failed. :frown:

This time I got 1 serious fault, due to 3 minors for the same thing.

The reason apparently was because every time he asked me "to stop on the left in a safe place", I did not stop close enough to curb each time.

Do you think this is fair? Or should I appeal and how? Only reason I'm asking is because the same guy failed me last time as well and I've heard he's a harsh marker and a racist but not sure how true that it!

Many Thanks,

E

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ebaysass
So I had my second driving test today, which I also failed. :frown:

This time I got 1 serious fault, due to 3 minors for the same thing.

The reason apparently was because every time he asked me "to stop on the left in a safe place", I did not stop close enough to curb each time.

Do you think this is fair? Or should I appeal and how? Only reason I'm asking is because the same guy failed me last time as well and I've heard he's a harsh marker and a racist but not sure how true that it!

Many Thanks,

E

Leaving the racism part out since it's hearsay I wouldn't bother appealing, it's more hassle than it would be worth. Just get back on the road, book another test and pass next time, good luck!
There's probably no point, best to just learn from the mistake and redo your test.
I know some examiners can be so harsh. I failed my second test for observations which the examiner couldn't even properly justify where/what I did.
Reply 3
Original post by Kaneki
Leaving the racism part out since it's hearsay I wouldn't bother appealing, it's more hassle than it would be worth. Just get back on the road, book another test and pass next time, good luck!

Thats what I was planning on doing, going to book another one now! (Fingers crossed I don't get him!). and yeh, heres hoping!! Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Thats what I was planning on doing, going to book another one now! (Fingers crossed I don't get him!). and yeh, heres hoping!! Thank you :smile:

It seems really personal I know (Failed my 4th test the other day, cringe worthy I know), but you'll get there, and once passed you don't have to worry about it anymore!
Reply 5
Original post by tcameron
There's probably no point, best to just learn from the mistake and redo your test.
I know some examiners can be so harsh. I failed my second test for observations which the examiner couldn't even properly justify where/what I did.

I guess thats all I can do! Yes they can! Im guessing you passed now?
Was your instructor in the car as well? If so what does he think about your distances? If not there's very little you have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Kaneki
It seems really personal I know (Failed my 4th test the other day, cringe worthy I know), but you'll get there, and once passed you don't have to worry about it anymore!

It does :frown:... tbh I just don't see myself passing ever!! Awwww, you'll get there too!! Have you booked another test and was it just down to nerves?
Completely unfair. As they always are.
Reply 9
Original post by Asklepios
Was your instructor in the car as well? If so what does he think about your distances? If not there's very little you have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well stupidly I decided not to take him because I didn't want the added pressure, he was bit surprised that he failed me on that though. If i get this guy again then I'm going to take my instructor.

Matter or fact my friend has her test the other day and had him, but she took her instructor as well. (They Passed)
Reply 10
It does :frown:... tbh I just don't see myself passing ever!! Awwww, you'll get there too!! Have you booked another test and was it just down to nerves?

Yep, rebooked straight afterwards for March 10th (nearest I could get), so fingers crossed. Yeah, nerves played a big part, and the examiner's rather 'loud' nature let's call it didn't help either. Just think, I'd much rather not pass first time than pass first time and crash the next day, it's all good experience as hard as that is to stomach :-)
Reply 11
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Completely unfair. As they always are.

I think that, then i doubt myself because I think that of course I would say that to make myself feel better! I even had lessons this whole week and they went perfectly. Nerves and examiners just got the best of me I think :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Kaneki
Yep, rebooked straight afterwards for March 10th (nearest I could get), so fingers crossed. Yeah, nerves played a big part, and the examiner's rather 'loud' nature let's call it didn't help either. Just think, I'd much rather not pass first time than pass first time and crash the next day, it's all good experience as hard as that is to stomach :-)

yes and Good Luck!! Im trying to book it for 9th! yeh thats deffo true, I feel like I'm more experienced because i failed first (and now second) time!
I think that, then i doubt myself because I think that of course I would say that to make myself feel better! I even had lessons this whole week and they went perfectly. Nerves and examiners just got the best of me I think :frown:

It's completely subjective, if they have an awful personality, are in a bad mood or have a quota to fill, they can just put any old reason down to fail you. I say appeal the decision.

I swear they actually try to make you as nervous/ irritated as possible, they seem to not want to do anything to ease tension or make the drive go as smoothly as possible. It feels like your driving someone around at gunpoint.
Reply 14
It's completely subjective, if they have an awful personality, are in a bad mood or have a quota to fill, they can just put any old reason down to fail you. I say appeal the decision.

I swear they actually try to make you as nervous/ irritated as possible, they seem to not want to do anything to ease tension or make the drive go as smoothly as possible. It feels like your driving someone around at gunpoint.

See, the quota thing really gets to me! Because firstly I didn't know if its true or not and secondly if it is, then thats just plain annoying because it makes me think the reason he failed me sound like it was just to fill his quota! Tbh how can it even be a serious to not stop close enough to curb! I did everything correctly, signalled checked my mirrors! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
See, the quota thing really gets to me! Because firstly I didn't know if its true or not and secondly if it is, then thats just plain annoying because it makes me think the reason he failed me sound like it was just to fill his quota! Tbh how can it even be a serious to not stop close enough to curb! I did everything correctly, signalled checked my mirrors! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Failing someone on 3 minors such as the ones you got, sounds ridiculous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I think it's very widespread, the examiners are forced to stick to target percentages, or risk loosing their jobs. Failing someone on 3 minors such as the ones you got, sounds ridiculous.

Spoiler

You fail for 3 minors on the same thing, doesn't matter what it is.
Reply 17
I think it's very widespread, the examiners are forced to stick to target percentages, or risk loosing their jobs. Failing someone on 3 minors such as the ones you got, sounds ridiculous.

Spoiler

Oh ok, well thats what i thought. I would understand if I got 3 for speed or something and he failed me, but this is flipping stopping on the side of the road! Last time i got 3 minors for steering and 3 minors for speed and they didn't turn into serious faults yet this did!! This guy is just not constant in terms of how he marks people. AND THEN HE WAS SHOWING OFF TO ME THAT HES GOING ON SO MANY HOLIDAYS . GOOD FOR YOU MATE!! :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18

You could have been blocking the road and obstructing other road users.

Spoiler

The quota thing is a complete myth.

Quick Reply

Latest