The Student Room Group

Do you know anyone who is a nun or have you considered being a nun yourself?

Curious :cookie:
I went to a convent secondary school, so my headteacher was a religious sister. She was nothing like what I would have expected tbh: she was pretty kick-ass, forward thinking and highly educated (she has a PhD but doesn't use her Dr title). Some of my distant relatives are religious sisters as well but I don't really know them that well :nah: I don't know anyone who falls under the strict definition of a nun (as opposed to a religious sister).

I considered becoming a Carmelite nun (a cloistered sister) at a point where I was experiencing a lot of things in my spiritual life and I felt it was a call to the vocation. I talked about it with a few people though who reassured me that these experiences weren't a "sign" that I needed to become a nun. In any case, I would only realistically be able to manage one of the three vows I would be expected to make as a nun :tongue:

All that said, I have picked my order (that of aforementioned headteacher religious sister) just in case! :jebus:
I dated an Irish lass once. We were in a relationship for about 9 months. I was completely in love with her.

She left me to become a Dominican nun.

#catholicdatingproblems
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I went to a convent secondary school, so my headteacher was a religious sister. She was nothing like what I would have expected tbh: she was pretty kick-ass, forward thinking and highly educated (she has a PhD but doesn't use her Dr title). Some of my distant relatives are religious sisters as well but I don't really know them that well :nah: I don't know anyone who falls under the strict definition of a nun (as opposed to a religious sister).

I considered becoming a Carmelite nun (a cloistered sister) at a point where I was experiencing a lot of things in my spiritual life and I felt it was a call to the vocation. I talked about it with a few people though who reassured me that these experiences weren't a "sign" that I needed to become a nun. In any case, I would only realistically be able to manage one of the three vows I would be expected to make as a nun :tongue:

All that said, I have picked my order (that of aforementioned headteacher religious sister) just in case! :jebus:

That's really interesting! Did you like it? :h:

What are the three vows? :2euk48l:
Poverty, Chastity, Obedience.
I went to a Catholic school (only talking 2/3 years ago) and we have 6 nuns within the school. All 6 of them had a PHD in various subjects. When we asked them why did you become a nun there reply was 'God called me'. I think its a feeling that you must get as obviously these young women are highly educated however now they choose poverty over wealth. These nuns were probably the happiest people I have seen on this planet always huge smiles and loved what they did.

The funniest thing I saw was them driving in a very old car that someone had donated to them with signs all over it like 'GOD IS GOOD' etc with the biggest smiles ever!
Original post by Supersaps
I dated an Irish lass once. We were in a relationship for about 9 months. I was completely in love with her.

#catholicdatingproblems

Jaysus. That's not what you want.
Original post by Supersaps

Ouch. :console: I hope you weren't too heartbroken
I considered becoming a nun when I was younger, however admittedly that was just because I liked the idea of just being able to live in peace and quiet, not actually because I was particularly religious
Nope and nope.

I like sex far too much to become a nun! I have a great deal of respect for those who do choose that path, but personally I couldn't give up the prospect of being a mother.
I actually considered to become a nun.
I'm still considering it, as I'm studying in university
Original post by MarleyZ
That's really interesting! Did you like it? :h:

What are the three vows? :2euk48l:

I loved my convent school: it was epic! I think it was epic because of that religious sister headteacher though - I'd imagine the place has a bit of a different feel to it now that there is a new headteacher (who is not a religious sister, actually). The sister order I'd join were I ever ACTUALLY called to be a nun is my former headteacher's one, as it happens, coz she really inspired - well, continues to inspire! - me :h:

Yeah, the three vows (as mentioned above) are poverty, chastity, and obedience. Poverty I can do fine but the other ones not so much :rofl:

:getmecoat:

:ninja:
Reply 12
Orthodox here. Have considered becoming a monk but sadly there are not many Orthodox monasteries in the UK. I would need to be 100% sure I could go through with it too.

Might just go live in the desert at some point like Father Lazarus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm120gFlQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending