The Student Room Group

How can I achieve an A or A* in Religious Studies?

Hey, so this is by far my weekest subject. I'm doing the edexcel course and the 2 exams I'm sitting will be in Unit 3 and Unit 16 (Mark's Gospel). I got a C in my mock, which i was really disappointed about. Somehow, my teacher has still predicted me an A, which I would love to get, but the way things are going now, that will never happen. I'm really good at memorising the key words, but that is about it. I never seem to have enough points to back up my argument, and I never remember scripture passages. It would be much appreciated if someone could give me some revision tips on how best to succeed in R.E and also, their method for remembering evrrything required to get an A/A*.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
Hey, so this is by far my weekest subject. I'm doing the edexcel course and the 2 exams I'm sitting will be in Unit 3 and Unit 16 (Mark's Gospel). I got a C in my mock, which i was really disappointed about. Somehow, my teacher has still predicted me an A, which I would love to get, but the way things are going now, that will never happen. I'm really good at memorising the key words, but that is about it. I never seem to have enough points to back up my argument, and I never remember scripture passages. It would be much appreciated if someone could give me some revision tips on how best to succeed in R.E and also, their method for remembering evrrything required to get an A/A*.

I'm having the same problem! I am also predicted an A despite the low grades I attain (in my mock examination I got a B, very luckily though).
For RS, the only thing you can really do to ensure you get a good grade is to have enough points. If you have enough points for the question, you can easily get a good mark. Doing past papers could really help as you'll see what is expected. I sat my GCSE papers in 2011/2012 and my revision method was simply using my class notes and a revision guide. I memorised them by writing them out over and over until I remembered them!

If you're succinct and provide enough points you can't really go wrong :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Join a cult :colone:

What is the structure of the exam paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For RE, I think it's all about knowing how to structure your answers. Knowing the structure from back to front with some good points should get you the A*.
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
For RE, I think it's all about knowing how to structure your answers. Knowing the structure from back to front with some good points should get you the A*.

I second this. Once I knew how to structure my answers, it's been so much easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure about your exam board, but I can tell you about WJEC. First thing, quotes! They love quotes! It's not vital, but a quote here and there impresses the examiner.
Another tip - when you have a long opinion essay, make sure you give both sides of the argument.
e.g. -quote- "Do you agree?"
First paragraph: Some.... Second: Others.. Third: I personally believe...

Thirdly, learn all your topics - know what certain denominations think of the topics too. Oh ! and make sure your English and grammar is as good as it can get :P !
Reply 8
Our teacher said it's about the structure and the best way to revise was using past papers and mark scheme. We were given 6 years of past papers and told the same questions are used over and over again. I've started to use them and have to admit my class tests are really improving we are sitting our second mocks (my school does two sets of mocks) next week so I'll let you know how I do.
Reply 9
Original post by Changing Skies
For RS, the only thing you can really do to ensure you get a good grade is to have enough points. If you have enough points for the question, you can easily get a good mark. Doing past papers could really help as you'll see what is expected. I sat my GCSE papers in 2011/2012 and my revision method was simply using my class notes and a revision guide. I memorised them by writing them out over and over until I remembered them!

If you're succinct and provide enough points you can't really go wrong :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, your advice is brilliant!
Original post by Matrix123
What is the structure of the exam paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get 4 questions per paper. In each paper, you get a) b) c) d). a) you have to define a key word, b) you have to give 2 reasons why you agree or disagree with a point and explain, c) you have to explain a belief or point with four reasons and d) you get a statement and you give 3 reasons and an explanation of why you agree/disagree with the statement then 3 reasons and an explanation of why someone would disagree with you.
Original post by M0nkey Thunder

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by croftie4
Our teacher said it's about the structure and the best way to revise was using past papers and mark scheme. We were given 6 years of past papers and told the same questions are used over and over again. I've started to use them and have to admit my class tests are really improving we are sitting our second mocks (my school does two sets of mocks) next week so I'll let you know how I do.

I'll certainly take that on board! Thanks and good luck :smile:

You get 4 questions per paper. In each paper, you get a) b) c) d). a) you have to define a key word, b) you have to give 2 reasons why you agree or disagree with a point and explain, c) you have to explain a belief or point with four reasons and d) you get a statement and you give 3 reasons and an explanation of why you agree/disagree with the statement then 3 reasons and an explanation of why someone would disagree with you.

Cool, and how many marks per question? 1, 2, 6, 12? And do you need quotes for c and d?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Cool, and how many marks per question? 1, 2, 6, 12? And do you need quotes for c and d?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a is 2 bis 4 c is 8 and d is 6. Quotes are not 100% required but are advised by the exam board as they show you have more knowledge. :smile:
a is 2 bis 4 c is 8 and d is 6. Quotes are not 100% required but are advised by the exam board as they show you have more knowledge. :smile:

Oh OK my exam board is different. I do OCR. I normally do a mindmap or notes page with plenty of colours. I generally do key words and there definitions in one colour (part a) and bullet point various events or ideas in another (part b). Then I use a different colour for quotes to support each topic. I've found that if you do this for each topic, it's easier to remember all possible bits of information for each possible question. Past papers might help you. Tbf different revision techniques work best for different people. It might be an idea to try others (for example you could search for videos about each topic).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A* in my RS studies at GCSE and I totally agree with the above comments- make sure you have enough points that you can develop further in paragraphs and back it up with evidence (quotes and examples) use PEEL (point/evidence/explain/link) but try not to make it obvious. Also try to go over all the questions and try to make plans on them. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by haj101
I got an A* in my RS studies at GCSE and I totally agree with the above comments- make sure you have enough points that you can develop further in paragraphs and back it up with evidence (quotes and examples) use PEEL (point/evidence/explain/link) but try not to make it obvious. Also try to go over all the questions and try to make plans on them. Good luck! :smile:

Oh OK my exam board is different. I do OCR. I normally do a mindmap or notes page with plenty of colours. I generally do key words and there definitions in one colour (part a) and bullet point various events or ideas in another (part b). Then I use a different colour for quotes to support each topic. I've found that if you do this for each topic, it's easier to remember all possible bits of information for each possible question. Past papers might help you. Tbf different revision techniques work best for different people. It might be an idea to try others (for example you could search for videos about each topic).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help! :smile::biggrin:
Make sure you're including the pros and cons of a topic. I can't stress this enough, I didn't know this beforehand and I was getting B's in my mocks and now I'm getting A*s because I now know HOW to answer the questions (I feel this is a common theme through schools they are unsure on how to structure an answer to an RS question because this isn't taught)

Make sure you include ethics and pros and cons for BOTH religions (if you do two, or two of the religions you do)

Make sure to give the effect of a quote (state the religious quote, say what it means/implies, and say how it influences religious believers to react)

Make sure you know definitions by making flash cards and testing yourself on them, this could be a question or you may have to include a definition in a question and could gain you marks.

Make sure you have enough quotations for different topics as you don't want to be repetitive of quotations that aren't for that topic.

Good luck :smile:

Welcome :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:
Hi guys ! I did it last year and managed to get an a* which was very unexpected as I normally got C grades. I did Edexcel Units 1 and 8 I think and I wrote notes which I learnt and they managed to help! I though I'd attach them here in case they ever help anyone. Use and you wish or they may be unhelpful to you but I know they worked for me.

Hope it helps xx

I've also done notes for all my gcses so if you find this helpful message me if you want any others xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending