The Student Room Group

✮ Treat Yourself... To Good Grades ✮

Hello TSR!
I'm Kirsty and I'm currently wading my way through A2 year :bl:
Haha, the TSR emojis are quite fun. FOR EXAMPLE, the absinthe one :absinth:
I'm sure we can all relate...

Anyway, down to business.

Spoiler

As you can see, I have some reasonably high aspirations. Watch this thread if you want to keep up with my year, and let me know in the replies what your goals are this year!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just now answered a forum regarding GCSE maths and how to get an A*. This was my response:

None of my teachers ever believed I could get an A* in maths, but I did! The best thing for me was to create 'perfect solutions' for every topic and sticking them all in a folder with colourful pens and stickers. I literally took it all around school with me every day (maybe possibly to show off how organised I was...) and it definitely paid off!

That and watching YouTube Videos of real teachers talking through exam papers. You can attempt the answer while you pause the video, and then press play. For a subject like maths it can be extremely helpful.

These techniques have also been useful in A2 maths this year. Por ejemplo:
Mohammed Ladak:
[video="youtube;4Vs3sqKTb_k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vs3sqKTb_k&list=PL0sgfvQGLNJsvJKsTz3lLplDXn VTL6C5H [/video]

Thanks for reading!
Reply 2
Original post by kit2016
x

Any chance you can upload any of your C1/C2 posters? I defo need to do something like that
Reply 3
Original post by Coerce
Any chance you can upload any of your C1/C2 posters? I defo need to do something like that

Of course! Unfortunately I am not doing C1 this year, but I'm resitting C2 so I still have the resources for that :smile:

Do you mind that it is handwritten? I do actually have an electronic copy that I found online, which I used to design my own notes. Would you like me to attach that?
Reply 4
Original post by kit2016
Of course! Unfortunately I am not doing C1 this year, but I'm resitting C2 so I still have the resources for that :smile:

Do you mind that it is handwritten? I do actually have an electronic copy that I found online, which I used to design my own notes. Would you like me to attach that?

I don't mind, any help is good help haha

I'm doing EDEXCEL tho, is there many differences, can't iamgine so
Reply 5
Original post by Coerce
I don't mind, any help is good help haha

I'm doing EDEXCEL tho, is there many differences, can't iamgine so

Which unit are you struggling the most with? And any particular topics? I'd love to help :smile: They teach the same content if I remember correctly, but take different approaches in how they ask the questions... Which is irritating
Reply 6
Original post by kit2016
Which unit are you struggling the most with? And any particular topics? I'd love to help :smile: They teach the same content if I remember correctly, but take different approaches in how they ask the questions... Which is irritating

I'm not even going to deny I don't feel competent with anyone of it; been putting it to the side and instead doing chemistry; oh dear
Reply 7
Original post by Coerce
I'm not even going to deny I don't feel competent with anyone of it; been putting it to the side and instead doing chemistry; oh dear

Based on what people have told me about chemistry I certainly don't blame you... It's meant to be difficult! I've found this Edexcel revision guide for C1/C2. How about creating your own flashcards/posters using the information on these?
I'd love to see what you come up with :smile:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/Edexcel%20-%20Core%201%20and%202%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by kit2016
Based on what people have told me about chemistry I certainly don't blame you... It's meant to be difficult! I've found this Edexcel revision guide for C1/C2. How about creating your own flashcards/posters using the information on these?
I'd love to see what you come up with :smile:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/Edexcel%20-%20Core%201%20and%202%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf

Might do that but I'm not creative, I'm a typical male :frown:
Lmfao.. I'll let you know what I come up with // or I just print some off the internet :colondollar:
Reply 9
A Levels arguably impact the rest of our lives.
I'm sure that idea is pressing against everyone's brain cells enough already, and that was the case for myself last year.
This year is different.
The way I see it, if you do not treat yourself throughout the year then how can the final result ever truly be positive? Mental illness is receiving a lot of attention today, particularly on TSR, and stress can only make this worse for students.

And that is why I am watching Gossip Girl. Sounds productive, I know. Having watched the series at least 4 times over, I have found that I can watch it without it requiring my full attention. Therefore I can still enjoy myself, but it allows me to cut out other external distractions and continue with my work at the same time. Meanwhile many of my friends are crying about their stress and their lack of free-time. That is why my motto for this year ties nicely into a little hashtag...

#treatyoself

Tonight's flashcards (and one of my favourite scenes from the series):
GG.jpg

If any of you think you have the self-discipline to do this (and that means NO WATCHING NEW SHOWS... I made that mistake once.. And I've just finished watching that mistake today) then have a go, and tell me whether it's a technique that works for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kit2016
A Levels arguably impact the rest of our lives.
I'm sure that idea is pressing against everyone's brain cells enough already, and that was the case for myself last year.
This year is different.
The way I see it, if you do not treat yourself throughout the year then how can the final result ever truly be positive? Mental illness is receiving a lot of attention today, particularly on TSR, and stress can only make this worse for students.

And that is why I am watching Gossip Girl. Sounds productive, I know. Having watched the series at least 4 times over, I have found that I can watch it without it requiring my full attention. Therefore I can still enjoy myself, but it allows me to cut out other external distractions and continue with my work at the same time. Meanwhile many of my friends are crying about their stress and their lack of free-time. That is why my motto for this year ties nicely into a little hashtag...

#treatyoself

Tonight's flashcards (and one of my favourite scenes from the series):
GG.jpg

If any of you think you have the self-discipline to do this (and that means NO WATCHING NEW SHOWS... I made that mistake once.. And I've just finished watching that mistake today) then have a go, and tell me whether it's a technique that works for you!

Hi

Your flashcards seems so neat, organised and useful for AS maths and physics!

I know this may be a bit of a favour to ask, but is there any way you could take pictures of them and upload the pics to a shared dropbox folder so people could download the pictures and use them to revise? Sorry if its a bit too much to ask for!
Reply 11
Original post by AmarRPM
Hi

Your flashcards seems so neat, organised and useful for AS maths and physics!

I know this may be a bit of a favour to ask, but is there any way you could take pictures of them and upload the pics to a shared dropbox folder so people could download the pictures and use them to revise? Sorry if its a bit too much to ask for!

Of course! I'll try and arrange it tomorrow and then I'll DM you the Dropbox link :smile:
Original post by kit2016
Of course! I'll try and arrange it tomorrow and then I'll DM you the Dropbox link :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: You have literally helped me out so much, my notes are kind of disorganised right now so it would be really useful for me to rewrite mine based on yours
Do you have any pictures or tips on how I could sort out my maths things... Etc.
Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by RickmanAlways
Do you have any pictures or tips on how I could sort out my maths things... Etc.
Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Original post by AmarRPM
Thank you so much :smile: You have literally helped me out so much, my notes are kind of disorganised right now so it would be really useful for me to rewrite mine based on yours

I created a Dropbox link with my revision cards for C2/C3. Bear in mind that I've only made notes on the things that I struggle with. Plus, binomial expansion I tend to just use Pascal's triangle for C2, as I wasn't taught any different until this year.
that https://www.dropbox.com/s/600fd3zpht3ncmk/Maths%20Guide%202016.docx?dl=0
:smile:
Rep me if you find this useful at all!
Reply 16

Haha that is brilliant! How have I never seen that before :lol: What show is that?
Reply 17
TODAY'S GOAL:I woke up super late today which is a shame, as today was my last half term day that I'm generally free all day.Tomorrow I have work, and then it's the weekend (I can never stay motivated at the weekend. Any advice?)I've got a dentist appointment in a couple of hours but I need to make sure I make a plan for my history coursework and write the first 1000 words. Anybody who's completing the AQA Historical Enquiry will understand my pain.:bawling:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kit2016
I created a Dropbox link with my revision cards for C2/C3. Bear in mind that I've only made notes on the things that I struggle with. Plus, binomial expansion I tend to just use Pascal's triangle for C2, as I wasn't taught any different until this year.
that https://www.dropbox.com/s/600fd3zpht3ncmk/Maths%20Guide%202016.docx?dl=0
:smile:
Rep me if you find this useful at all!

Helped a lot, thank you :smile: + repped
Reply 19
Sucks to be me right now! Spent today in bed feeling ill and very sorry for myself. No schedule can control sickness, sadly! I still need to finish my 1000 words and a history essay before Wednesday though. If anyone has a kind of helpful way to plan and structure a 3000 word coursework then let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending