The Student Room Group

Private Loans for Student Finance

hi,

Hoping someone can help me...

There is a strong possibility that I won't be legible for SFE, as I haven't been resident in the UK/EEU for 3 years. I'm a mature student, and am dependent on my mother - who has been in the UK/EEU for 11 years.

Thus, I need to apply for finance through a private loans company - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ClaireFad
any suggestions?

Wait until you've been in the UK for three years and then go to uni.

At that point you'll be eligible for both Student Finance and the much (much) lower Home/UK tuition fees.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Wait until you've been in the UK for three years and then go to uni.

At that point you'll be eligible for both Student Finance and the much (much) lower Home/UK tuition fees.

Thank Klix88, I'm an EU Citizen, and eligible for Home/UK Tuition fees already... And being a bit old (haha - 28) I don't really want to wait three years longer.. :'(
Reply 3
Thank Klix88, I'm an EU Citizen, and eligible for Home/UK Tuition fees already... And being a bit old (haha - 28) I don't really want to wait three years longer.. :'(

I went to uni aged 44, so being 28 is nothing!

Waiting is a far better option than getting locked into a lengthy commercial+ loan.
Reply 4

Original post by Klix88
I went to uni aged 44, so being 28 is nothing!

Waiting is a far better option than getting locked into a lengthy commercial+ loan.

^this

And 3 years of earning a wage will reduce your need for the maintenance loan.
I agree with both the oldies above (and I'm older than both of them.) Avoid having a millstone of private debt around your neck. Work and wait.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I agree with both the oldies above (and I'm older than both of them.) Avoid having a millstone of private debt around your neck. Work and wait.

PRSOM
:shakecane::scrooge::shakecane:
hi,

Hoping someone can help me...

There is a strong possibility that I won't be legible for SFE, as I haven't been resident in the UK/EEU for 3 years. I'm a mature student, and am dependent on my mother - who has been in the UK/EEU for 11 years.

Thus, I need to apply for finance through a private loans company - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Has your Mum been working in the UK for the last 3 years? If so then you can claim a maintenance loan as the child of a migrant worker. Otherwise the private loan companies here have extortionate rates and you would have to make repayments before you've finished studying.
Original post by jneill
PRSOM
:shakecane::scrooge::shakecane:

I don't think we see enough cane shaking around these parts.
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
Has your Mum been working in the UK for the last 3 years? If so then you can claim a maintenance loan as the child of a migrant worker. Otherwise the private loan companies here have extortionate rates and you would have to make repayments before you've finished studying.

hi, Jelly1000,

my mum has been in the UK for 6 years, and was in Ireland before that :smile:

I'm desperate to study, and have an unconditional offer from my dream university...

I'm considering taking out a private loan to cover the first year, and then trying for finance again next year...?
Reply 10

Even if over 18?
Reply 11
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I don't think we see enough cane shaking around these parts.

hahaha! :h:
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
^this

And 3 years of earning a wage will reduce your need for the maintenance loan.

I know, but I am so excited about going NOW - oh dear :'(

Would applying for one year of funding, and then trying SFE again next year be a bad idea?
Original post by jneill
Even if over 18?

Of course, student finance is only there for Higher education students, the vast majority of whom are at least 18
I know, but I am so excited about going NOW - oh dear :'(

Would applying for one year of funding, and then trying SFE again next year be a bad idea?

If your Mum has been working and can provide evidence of having worked in the UK for the last 3 years e.g. with payslips, as I said you can claim as the child of a migrant worker.
Reply 15
Of course, student finance is only there for Higher education students, the vast majority of whom are at least 18

Doh! (Just your use of the "child" word confused my small brain for a minute...)

:smile:
Original post by jneill
Doh! (Just your use of the "child" word confused my small brain for a minute...)

:smile:

Sorry my bad
Reply 17
Ok, so to clarify all of your answers:

I can apply for tuition finance as the child of a migrant worker, /or

I work for 3 years and can apply for tuition and maintenance loan?
Ok, so to clarify all of your answers:

I can apply for tuition finance as the child of a migrant worker, /or

I work for 3 years and can apply for tuition and maintenance loan?

If student finance confirm that you do class as the child of a migrant worker, then you can claim tuition fees and a maintenance loan I believe. However you need to double check this with student finance.
Reply 19
If student finance confirm that you do class as the child of a migrant worker, then you can claim tuition fees and a maintenance loan I believe. However you need to double check this with student finance.

Thanks Jelly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending