The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrojanH
Woah, that's really high for a fresh grad! What sort of work experience did you have to have beforehand to get you the entry role into the consultant job?

He didn't go to uni
Original post by TrojanH
Woah, that's really high for a fresh grad! What sort of work experience did you have to have beforehand to get you the entry role into the consultant job?

I wasn't a fresh grad. I didn't go to uni at all. I got the job when I was 17, it was a trainee role and I just so happened to know someone who worked there which helped. The more money you make them the more money they give you, it's quite a lucrative business.
Reply 102
Original post by ineedtorevise127
So just because some people are living to 80 plus does not mean you will... It is so common nowadays to get illnesses such as cancer, heart attacks, stroke not to mention other death related e.g. Accidents which keep going up every year

But it does mean that there is a high chance you will live to 80+ so should make provisions to support yourself to that age.
Reply 103
So just because some people are living to 80 plus does not mean you will... It is so common nowadays to get illnesses such as cancer, heart attacks, stroke not to mention other death related e.g. Accidents which keep going up every year

What utter tosh. It's less common than ever to die from cancer, heart attack or stroke. And which accidents keep going up every year?
Original post by estel
What utter tosh. It's less common than ever to die from cancer, heart attack or stroke. And which accidents keep going up every year?

less common? Are you sure you are aware that soon 1 in every 2 people you know will probably get cancer in their life. That has shot up over the last 50 years.
less common? Are you sure you are aware that soon 1 in every 2 people you know will probably get cancer in their life. That has shot up over the last 50 years.

Cancer rates have gone up mostly because life expectancy has gone up. Most of the other illness rates going up are also either because of people living into old age or because of obesity which is also very prevalent.

The number of people having it has increased however the number of people dying from it has decreased. You can reasonably expect to live to 90 yourself.
Original post by Rakas21
The number of people having it has increased however the number of people dying from it has decreased. You can reasonably expect to live to 90 yourself.

pfft, get out of here with your logic.
Original post by Reue
I'm an IT Consultant and run a couple of online businesses.

Why do you think you won't be able to use your money at age 55+? Your average life expectancy is 81.. thats 26 years to use it!

What kinda online businesses, and how did you get started?
Kudos man- sounds like you've done really well :-)
Original post by Diabolus
24. Just hit £100k.

My tip = realise that material possession are meaningless and not a true source of happiness.

Did you go to uni? or how did you achieve this?
Reply 110
Original post by Marshmallow9999
What kinda online businesses, and how did you get started?
Kudos man- sounds like you've done really well :-)

Matched betting, kindle publishing and coaching.
I need some motivation to save money. Please state your age as well and provide any tips on how to save a lot of money.

Thanks

21, roughly £230,000

Lots of good schemes out there like Help To Buy for young people to get on the property ladder. Look into ISAs as well.

I've been working for 5 years though and had a lot of good connections from my childhood to help me find well paid opportunities, I'm luckier than most.
I had quite a lot but I've been fecking around and now I'm down to a few grand. Luckily my bank are more than happy to lend me 20k so I can move to Panama :h:
Original post by XMaramena
21, roughly £230,000

Lots of good schemes out there like Help To Buy for young people to get on the property ladder. Look into ISAs as well.

I've been working for 5 years though and had a lot of good connections from my childhood to help me find well paid opportunities, I'm luckier than most.

Woah. What do you do at 21 to net you crazy figures like that?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Whilst, god willing, I will still be able to do things I like to do now at that age (my parents can after all, there is no reasons why you have to get old, fat and incredibly unfit). A lot of my hobbies are physically intense. I want to do things now. Also in that 26 years you are going to age more noticeably.

I never knew you were Muslim.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
I never knew you were Muslim.

Why Muslim?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Woah. What do you do at 21 to net you crazy figures like that?

First 3 years in Dubai, I started by teaching piano a few hours a day at roughly £40/hr. At the same time, I was composing for media, and later started producing when the film work was slow.

When I came back to the UK, I put that money into a project property, the film work picked up and I got a boost after one of my production projects got on the news. Renovated the house, made a tidy profit from selling it.

Now I'm bringing out a book which should feed into my passive income, hopefully I can sign a deal with some institutions to kickstart it.

Making money is easy, once you have money! :P

Had I started in the UK, I certainly wouldn't have been able to rock up after school and instantly get a full teaching schedule at £40 an hour! Here, I'd have been lucky to get £25, and more than a few hours a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
around £20k on my isa account.
Original post by XMaramena
First 3 years in Dubai, I started by teaching piano a few hours a day at roughly £40/hr. At the same time, I was composing for media, and later started producing when the film work was slow.

When I came back to the UK, I put that money into a project property, the film work picked up and I got a boost after one of my production projects got on the news. Renovated the house, made a tidy profit from selling it.

Now I'm bringing out a book which should feed into my passive income, hopefully I can sign a deal with some institutions to kickstart it.

Making money is easy, once you have money! :P

Had I started in the UK, I certainly wouldn't have been able to rock up after school and instantly get a full teaching schedule at £40 an hour! Here, I'd have been lucky to get £25, and more than a few hours a week.

Funny you say that, I had been considering a career in the UAE for a long time now. How are living costs like there? Is housing expensive in the financial districts?
Original post by TrojanH
Funny you say that, I had been considering a career in the UAE for a long time now. How are living costs like there? Is housing expensive in the financial districts?

(Pretty long reply)

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending