The Student Room Group

Further Maths: yes or no?

Hi there

I am passionate about maths. I'm due to take my iGCSE Maths in May and am expected an A*. It is something I am strongly considering as a career path, and currently think it's what I will most likely end up studying.

However, of course, people change their minds, especially at this age and at this moment. I love languages and am also considering a career in linguistics. Physics is also another strong candidate.

At most of the sixth forms i'm applying to (im a foreign student) I will be taking 4 a-levels: chemistry, spanish, physics and maths. However I want to change Chemistry for Further Maths, and that's what I'm struggling on. I'm not scared of the challenge it will impose, more of the limited choices it will present when I get to uni. Who knows, I might not want to do maths, and having taken FM would be very limiting. I don't particularly like Chemistry though, I chose it because I was good at it.

What do you think? Should I take FM? Perhaps something maths related like Economics?

Thanks
Reply 1
Doing further maths instead of chemistry would not limit your choices of career - unless you wanted to do chemistry.
I think it would be a good idea doing further maths. You never know it might make you realise that maths is what you want to do as a career.
Original post by nicholasr
Hi there

I am passionate about maths. I'm due to take my iGCSE Maths in May and am expected an A*. It is something I am strongly considering as a career path, and currently think it's what I will most likely end up studying.

However, of course, people change their minds, especially at this age and at this moment. I love languages and am also considering a career in linguistics. Physics is also another strong candidate.

At most of the sixth forms i'm applying to (im a foreign student) I will be taking 4 a-levels: chemistry, spanish, physics and maths. However I want to change Chemistry for Further Maths, and that's what I'm struggling on. I'm not scared of the challenge it will impose, more of the limited choices it will present when I get to uni. Who knows, I might not want to do maths, and having taken FM would be very limiting. I don't particularly like Chemistry though, I chose it because I was good at it.

What do you think? Should I take FM? Perhaps something maths related like Economics?

Thanks

First of all, choosing A Levels for the sake of keeping your options open is not a particularly preferable option. You're going to have to make a decision between Maths, Physics and Linguistics at some point so simply trying to delay this decision (particularly between Linguistics, and Physics & Maths) isn't what you want to be doing. You say you don't want to drop Chemistry because you don't want to limit your options... but why? There's absolutely no point taking an A Level you don't even particularly like just because you want to keep open degrees that you're not even interested in. You do not need Chemistry for Physics, Maths or Linguistics. So my first recommendation is to do more research into what those degrees actually entail so you can at least try to establish whether you want to go into a STEM direction or into a linguistics direction.

You say that Maths is "what I will most likely end up studying". If that's the case, you should take Further Maths. Same goes for Physics. If you think there's a reasonable chance that you'll end up applying for either Maths or Physics then you should do Further Maths without a doubt. I'm assuming that Spanish isn't negotiable. If that's the case, the best option seems to be doing Spanish, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for your advice guys! I really appreciate it. I think I will end up choosing Further Maths. Better to do what I love (which just so happens to be a demand-high career) than what I've been told to do.
Reply 4
x

What do you plan on doing in the future? career wise :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Ribenas
What do you plan on doing in the future? career wise :-)

I have high hopes.. getting into Mathematics at Oxbridge is my main aspiration. If not Maths then either Physics or linguistics. If I don't get into a Russell I will be extremely disappointed though.. as for a career, I don't exactly know. I hope to find out on the journey there. Thanks for the question :smile:
Reply 6
x

If you plan on having a career in maths or physics then I would select further maths. If chemistry is not required for your course don't take it! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ribenas
If you plan on having a career in maths or physics then I would select further maths. If chemistry is not required for your course don't take it! :smile:

My thoughts exactly.. teachers have been telling me choosing Chemistry would be best to keep my options open. But frankly I don't care about Chemistry nor anything to do with Chemistry (except medicine haha but I doubt I'll go into medicine), so yes, I will take FM. I just needed some external, unbiased opinions. Also, writing it down helps clear my head.
Reply 8
x

I am glad to have been of service :-)
Reply 9
I have high hopes.. getting into Mathematics at Oxbridge is my main aspiration. If not Maths then either Physics or linguistics. If I don't get into a Russell I will be extremely disappointed though.. as for a career, I don't exactly know. I hope to find out on the journey there. Thanks for the question :smile:

Further Maths is the obvious choice. It's really interesting. :innocent:

Also, stop fantasising about the Russell Group; it means almost nothing for undergraduates. There are plenty of top 20 universities that aren't members (St Andrews, Surrey, Bath, etc.). :tongue:
If you're looking to apply to maths and/or physics then you should at least do maths, further maths and physics. I'm not sure what the requirements for linguistics are but you could potentially do some relevant subjects alongside your other ASs and possibly fast-track one at A2.
It would be better to decide as soon as possible though.
Reply 11
Original post by ombtom
Further Maths is the obvious choice. It's really interesting. :innocent:

Also, stop fantasising about the Russell Group; it means almost nothing for undergraduates. There are plenty of top 20 universities that aren't members (St Andrews, Surrey, Bath, etc.). :tongue:

More than getting into a Russell Group I want to get into a what I consider to be a prestigious university. If I don't achieve that I'd be disappointed. Should've rephrased myself.

Original post by morgan8002
If you're looking to apply to maths and/or physics then you should at least do maths, further maths and physics. I'm not sure what the requirements for linguistics are but you could potentially do some relevant subjects alongside your other ASs and possibly fast-track one at A2.
It would be better to decide as soon as possible though.

Linguistics has no requirements, not even at Oxbridge, so I'm pretty much set if I want to study linguistics. I'm hoping the schools I've since emailed will let me take 4 A-Levels and an AS. Since I'm fluent in Spanish already, many schools have told me I don't even have to go to class, and simply take the exam at the end of the year. That way I can study one more A Level :smile:

Linguistics has no requirements, not even at Oxbridge, so I'm pretty much set if I want to study linguistics. I'm hoping the schools I've since emailed will let me take 4 A-Levels and an AS. Since I'm fluent in Spanish already, many schools have told me I don't even have to go to class, and simply take the exam at the end of the year. That way I can study one more A Level :smile:

Be aware that universities won't consider more than 3 A-levels and a lot of them don't consider an A-level in a language you're already fluent in(although I'm not sure of the details).

Just so you know:

There's no advantage in taking more subjects for the sake of having more subjects. It's quality, not quantity that matters when it comes to grades.

Universities will usually not count an A Level in your native language (for obvious reasons), nor would it have any effect on your application for a STEM subject.

Quick Reply

Latest