The Student Room Group

What is Wales like?

My parents want to retire in Wales and buy a big house there as houses are cheaper.

This got me thinking.

What is Wales like?

My impression of Wales is not great.

I remember shoddy sea side towns

Is it just a poor version of England, like Ireland?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CreamyChocolate

:angry::angry::angry:
We have lovely Welsh-cakes.
Original post by CreamyChocolate
My parents want to retire in Wales and buy a big house there as houses are cheaper.

This got me thinking.

What is Wales like?

My impression of Wales is not great.

I remember shoddy sea side towns

That's mildly insulting, if you ask me.

@Airmed, what do you think :biggrin:?
It's much prettier than England
"Is it just a poor version of England, like Ireland?"

Ireland is actually very beautiful fyi, couldn't you ask a question without offending another country?
Reply 5
As an Englishman, I can happily say northern Wales is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever visit in your life. A drive through the mountains is just mind blowing
Reply 6

Oh.

I used to travel a lot up to South Wales when I was younger (mostly in the Porthcawl area) and I have really positive memories of it - I remember wanting to move up there.

This article has definitely given me something to think about.
Reply 8
Full of incestuous nutters who have sex with sheep. :tongue:

But I do like 'Bara Brith'. :biggrin:

The one good thing to come out of Wales. :ahee:
Reply 9
Original post by acupofgreentea
Oh.

I used to travel a lot up to South Wales when I was younger (mostly in the Porthcawl area) and I have really positive memories of it - I remember wanting to move up there.

This article has definitely given me something to think about.

There's many places in south wales that are beautiful, mind you. It's just the post-industrial valleys that tend not to be the best.
Where are you from btw?
Speaking only for Cardiff, I'd say it's pretty good. All the conveniences of a capital city yet none of the hectic nonsense and traffic of London. :tongue:

Although it rains a lot over here, even more so than England. :ninja:
Reply 11
Terrible. Next question.
Reply 12
Much better than England except job prospects
Reply 13
Original post by Hydeman
Speaking only for Cardiff, I'd say it's pretty good. All the conveniences of a capital city yet none of the hectic nonsense and traffic of London. :tongue:

Although it rains a lot over here, even more so than England. :ninja:

We should be friends.
Original post by Ekno
As an Englishman, I can happily say northern Wales is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever visit in your life. A drive through the mountains is just mind blowing

I grew up with those mountains being my view from my bedroom, I do miss them sometimes.
Well it's not Scotland...

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
I grew up with those mountains being my view from my bedroom, I do miss them sometimes.

I went to Bangor last year to do ziplining. Detour through Snowdonia was well worth it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
We should be friends.

Alright, but I'm shy. :hide:
Original post by claireestelle

Where do you live now? :beard:
Original post by Ekno
I went to Bangor last year to do ziplining. Detour through Snowdon was well worth it

Snowdon has quite the views from the summit, can't say I was a big fan of Bangor but then I moved away to get more shops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending