The Student Room Group

Can't get above 60% in Edexcel AS Level Chemistry

Whatever paper I do - unit 1,2 or 3 I always am in the 60s and never go above. In unit one and two I make a lot of mistakes in the MCQ section even after being confident with my answers.. I am doing past papers and trying my best to correct my mistakes. Please give me some advice on how I can improve as I want to get an A for my AS exam this june :'(
You're clearly not learning from your mistakes then, are you?

Do a paper. Accept the mistakes. Look at where you lost the marks. Add the points that you missed out in your answers. Then do the paper again the next day to make sure you remember everything and to make sure you don't repeat your mistakes.

Duh.
Reply 2
Original post by wenogk
Whatever paper I do - unit 1,2 or 3 I always am in the 60s and never go above. In unit one and two I make a lot of mistakes in the MCQ section even after being confident with my answers.. I am doing past papers and trying my best to correct my mistakes. Please give me some advice on how I can improve as I want to get an A for my AS exam this june :'(

Have a rigid approach to revision

Revise
Past papers
Mark
Correct
Revise failures
Re-do questions
Past papers
(the cycle goes on)
I find them quite hard but manage to usually get about 90% (ignoring questions on born-haber and inorg properties of groups 1,2, and 7 which we haven't done).

You know we're on a new spec right?
Reply 4
Original post by richpanda
I find them quite hard but manage to usually get about 90% (ignoring questions on born-haber and inorg properties of groups 1,2, and 7 which we haven't done).

You know we're on a new spec right?

Does this mean that Edexcel chemistry exams on june will have the paper on the new spec?

A bit confused, teachers tell me that it'll be old spec.
Original post by azefayuu
Does this mean that Edexcel chemistry exams on june will have the paper on the new spec?

A bit confused, teachers tell me that it'll be old spec.

Are you in the UK? The thing is, I don't think that with the A level reforms, you actually have to do any exams this summer. However my school wants to do it for good practice, and top unis would prefer if you did them.
Reply 6
Original post by richpanda
Are you in the UK? The thing is, I don't think that with the A level reforms, you actually have to do any exams this summer. However my school wants to do it for good practice, and top unis would prefer if you did them.

Not from the UK.

Sorry, what do you mean by reforms?
Original post by azefayuu
Not from the UK.

Sorry, what do you mean by reforms?

Don't worry then, it's different outside the UK
Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get better in time, noone goes from 0 to 100 straight away. You just gotta keep pushing yourself
Reply 9
Original post by Shiv is Light
Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get better in time, noone goes from 0 to 100 straight away. You just gotta keep pushing yourself

Thanks for the motivation! I will never stop pushing myself
Reply 10
Original post by High Stakes
You're clearly not learning from your mistakes then, are you?

Do a paper. Accept the mistakes. Look at where you lost the marks. Add the points that you missed out in your answers. Then do the paper again the next day to make sure you remember everything and to make sure you don't repeat your mistakes.

Duh.

Ok thanks I will follow this method..
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
Have a rigid approach to revision

Revise
Past papers
Mark
Correct
Revise failures
Re-do questions
Past papers
(the cycle goes on)

I guess what I lack is a rigid approach - will try to incorporate it to my work. Thanks
Original post by wenogk

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest