The Student Room Group

Domestic Violence situation - Help!

Okay so here is my story....

I am a victim of domestic abuse, i have a brother who consistently verbally harrasses me, and more than a few occasions has physically hit me, i only called the police on him once but was told to call 101 which i couldnt because i had no credit on my phone.

We both still live at home with our parents, share the shame room ( its horrifying), and our parents did say if he did hit me again he would be kicked out from the house prior to the incident, he hit me, they claimed to have forgot saying it, hence why he is still here.

The first bit i would like to talk about ( anyone who is involved in law would be of great help here) is what are my chances of successfully getting placed a restraining order on him, its his own fault if he has to move out, i have photos of an assault that he has done in the past year or so, and i do have a logbook of all the times he has hit me with dates aswell as verbal abuse he has said to me ( one one social media that i have screen snapped) , and if so, can i just simply walk into a solicitors to get the restrainment order forms?

If there is anything else you need to know then please reply, thank you! :smile:
Call 101? Haven't heard of that before, normally 999 gets the job done.
Speak to your parents again, the least they could do is keep him away from you in the house i.e. sleep separately.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? You sound young which is why I think all this talk of getting the police on him/getting a restraining order is futile so long as your parents don't intervene.

Have you showed them the bruises? The log book?

Is your brother mentally unwell?
Original post by samuel303
Okay so here is my story....

I am a victim of domestic abuse, i have a brother who consistently verbally harrasses me, and more than a few occasions has physically hit me, i only called the police on him once but was told to call 101 which i couldnt because i had no credit on my phone.

We both still live at home with our parents, share the shame room ( its horrifying), and our parents did say if he did hit me again he would be kicked out from the house prior to the incident, he hit me, they claimed to have forgot saying it, hence why he is still here.

The first bit i would like to talk about ( anyone who is involved in law would be of great help here) is what are my chances of successfully getting placed a restraining order on him, its his own fault if he has to move out, i have photos of an assault that he has done in the past year or so, and i do have a logbook of all the times he has hit me with dates aswell as verbal abuse he has said to me ( one one social media that i have screen snapped) , and if so, can i just simply walk into a solicitors to get the restrainment order forms?

If there is anything else you need to know then please reply, thank you! :smile:

The shame room?

Whats that smell?

Oh, sorry, my allergy to trolls is flaring up
Have you tried ChildLine?
Reply 5
Original post by Longshot700

sadly it wasnt important enough for 999, went to the station today, and they advised me to get the restrainment order papers from a solicitor, but is it as simple as walking into a solicitor and asking?

911 lol
Reply 7
Original post by apronedsamurai
The shame room?

Whats that smell?

Oh, sorry, my allergy to trolls is flaring up

1. this isnt a troll, so get your facts right

2. if your not contributing, dont post.
Original post by xobeauty
911 lol

-_-
Reply 9
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Speak to your parents again, the least they could do is keep him away from you in the house i.e. sleep separately.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? You sound young which is why I think all this talk of getting the police on him/getting a restraining order is futile so long as your parents don't intervene.

there isn't a spare room in the household so there is nowhere else.

surprisingly not as young as you probably think, i am 19. they will try and make me cancel the order should it get to a hearing date, but when he finds out, he'll more than likely hit me again.
Reply 10
911 lol

I am from England so 101 is the right number haha.
-_-

Ikr. What are these numbers.
Reply 12
Original post by Danny McCoyne

they dont know about the logbook as of yet, and mentally unwell, no, just a big headed,selfish person who thinks he's better than everybody else.
Ikr. What are these numbers.

- 112, 911 and 999 will all go through to the same emergency services in the UK, unless you use an American phone/sim in which case 911 will go through to the emergency services in the US (who, when you speak to them, will redirect your call to a UK response center, or just ask you to hang up and call 112 or 999).
- 101 is used to get in touch with the police when there isn't an emergency.
- 111 is used to get in touch with the NHS when there isn't an emergency.

If you are under 16, speak to Childline.
If you are over 16, speak to CitizensAdvice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by XMaramena
- 112, 911 and 999 will all go through to the same emergency services in the UK, unless you use an American phone/sim in which case 911 will go through to the emergency services in the US (who, when you speak to them, will redirect your call to a UK response center, or just ask you to hang up and call 112 or 999).
- 101 is used to get in touch with the police when there isn't an emergency.
- 111 is used to get in touch with the NHS when there isn't an emergency.

If you are under 16, speak to Childline.
If you are over 16, speak to CitizensAdvice.

Yeah, could do, if i do go ahead with the order, can i get it from any solicitor office or does it have to be specific??
19 and sharing a room, amusingly if you were in a council house you'd be classed as overcrowded.
Original post by samuel303
Yeah, could do, if i do go ahead with the order, can i get it from any solicitor office or does it have to be specific??

How old are you?

Different solicitors have different specialities, just like doctors.

You wouldn't go to an Ears Nose and Throat doctor if you had a broken toe, for example.
Reply 17
Original post by joey11223
19 and sharing a room, amusingly if you were in a council house you'd be classed as overcrowded.

lol wow i never knew that, luckily its landlord.

Quick Reply

Latest