The Student Room Group

Ladies: Do you know what an investment banker does?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity
Not all but many. It gets worse...I left a job as a sales trader once and had to sign a document where I promised to never say a negative word about the firm....I was severely sexually harassed during my employment there...also, I never recommend them as boyfriends, they have far too many opportunities to get themselves into trouble. I get the impression this thread has something to do with dating IB's???? So there's my advice OP.

That is really sad. I get the impression this happens to a lot of women working in the city, I have read quite a few blogs where women speak out about it anonymously. It's sad.

I can honestly say that no amount of money would ever change my opinion on IB and how partner material they are, from what I've read and watched on documentaries (I've obviously never met one...I'm not clumping them all together, then again like it matters how I feel when they are drowning in the ££££) but from what I've seen they seem as "boyfriend material" as a sofa. :redface:
Original post by acupofgreentea
:hmmm:

Claiming this thread for your own like a typical man and thus reinforcing centuries of subjugation I could dismiss, but this? Consider yourself unforgiven, you savage. :colonhash:

Not only that, but you're making out like green tea isn't normal. Just because it's herbal doesn't mean it doesn't have feelings. #stopgreenteacyberbullying2k16

is it weird i got slightly, just SLIGHTLY turned on by this? :tongue:

You have a way with words :colondollar:
Breaking news OP: some ladies are investment bankers themselves
Original post by ByronicHero
I'm sorry.

Will you forgive me?

don't apologise lad :beer:
Original post by ByronicHero
I take this as you inviting me take you savagely.

I accept.

I follow a similar rule to that of houses and vampires.

"Normal tea" drinkers must be invited to come in. I do not invite you to come in. :hand:

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I found that it came across really sexist and patronising. That isn't me being "sensitive", it honestly came across that way.

No, definitely wouldn't call you sensitive - I can completely understand where you're coming from. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the OP at first, I'd merely come here to post a snarky response to something BH had said.

I think TSR may be desensitizing me. :sigh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anomalouse
Breaking news OP: some ladies are investment bankers themselves

Going to try and marry an IB babe.
Reply 46
Original post by leavingthecity
Not all but many. It gets worse...I left a job as a sales trader once and had to sign a document where I promised to never say a negative word about the firm....I was severely sexually harassed during my employment there...also, I never recommend them as boyfriends, they have far too many opportunities to get themselves into trouble. I get the impression this thread has something to do with dating IB's???? So there's my advice OP.

Not trying to cause any offence, but you seem to be unaware of the fact that most women that are hired into Sales (in an IB) are hired because they're a pretty face.

Not saying it was right for you to be harrassed, but I suspect most of your male colleagues effectively saw you as "a piece of meat used to lure money off clients".
(edited 8 years ago)
That is really sad. I get the impression this happens to a lot of women working in the city, I have read quite a few blogs where women speak out about it anonymously. It's sad.

I can honestly say that no amount of money would ever change my opinion on IB and how partner material they are, from what I've read and watched on documentaries (I've obviously never met one...I'm not clumping them all together, then again like it matters how I feel when they are drowning in the ££££) but from what I've seen they seem as "boyfriend material" as a sofa. :redface:

Yeah it happens wayyyyy too much, and often there nothing that can be done about it. I guess most guys working in investment banks are actually quite normal...it's those working in testosterone fuelled trading environments that are the ones to avoid IMO. And brokers...just no. I love them, they are my friends...but nothing more thanks!
who cares.
fuk biches get munnehs
Original post by Satanas
Not trying to cause any offence, but you seem to be unaware of the fact that most women that are hired into Sales (in an IB) are hired because they're a pretty face.

Not saying it's right for you to be harrassed, but I suspect most of your male colleagues probably just see you as a pretty face.

Haha I am VERY aware nowadays (laughing at myself and why I chose this career), and sadly, being good at your job/ the best/obviously as intelligent as the men doesn't change this. Not every woman's experience but one of the kind that should be shared more often, it's not easy in there...
Original post by corbynite87
is it weird i got slightly, just SLIGHTLY turned on by this? :tongue:

You have a way with words :colondollar:

What canna say, my vocabulary just oozes sex appeal. :u:

I'd be careful, though - I wouldn't want you to be just another letter in my vocabulary's alphabet. You deserve better than that.

I'd be careful, though - I wouldn't want you to be just another letter in my vocabulary's alphabet. You deserve better than that.

Note taken :rofl:
Original post by Satanas
lol you feminists....you never pass up an opportunity to get mad over nothing.

If you bothered to read the OP, it's aimed at women because the reason I am asking has to do with dating, and given I am a heterosexual male, I date women.

The "without googling" part is so I can get an answer based on your actual knowledge, rather than you just googling it and regurgitating the info here.

It is you.

Ffs i just make a thread asking women if they know what investment banking is, and suddenly its like Germaine Greer and Emma Watson declaring war on men everywhere :lol:

It came across patronising I'm afraid, you could have phrased it better. You do realise not all investment bankers are male though? and their job description knowledge aren't just limited to males?

I can understand the curiosity behind your question because a friend told me a story about a guy who was working for Goldman Sachs at the time when he met a girl at a bar, when she asked what he did, he told her and she thought he was working for an insurance company, so he kindly excused himself apparently. *cringe* (I think that is how the story went anyway...)

So I understand if you read about a similar occurrence and was curious. But don't you think its silly to address the question to all women assuming they all don't know? (which is how it came across in your OP, even if that wasn't your intention.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh my gosh, teach me your waysssss :mwuaha:
Reply 55
It came across patronising I'm afraid, you could have phrased it better. You do realise not all investment bankers are male though? and their job description knowledge aren't just limited to males?

I can understand the curiosity behind your question because a friend told me a story about a guy who was working for Goldman Sachs at the time when he met a girl at a bar, when she asked what he did, he told her and she thought he was working for an insurance company, so he kindly excused himself apparently. (I think that is how the story went anyway...)

So I understand if you read about a similar occurrence and was curious. But don't you think its silly to address the question to women assuming they all don't know? (which is how it came across in your OP, even if that wasn't your intention.)

You are clearly incredibly arrogant to assume that how you perceive things is how everyone else does.

Good day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Satanas
You are clearly incredibly arrogant to assume that how you interpret things is how everyone else does.

Good day.

Lol no I'm not "incredibly arrogant", that wouldn't be "arrogant", that would be ignorant but I do understand the importance of perspective. So that wasn't what I was implying anyway!

Calm down, I'm not even attacking you. -_-

Have a beautiful evening! :^_^:
(edited 8 years ago)
OP are you currently in IB?

I'd say knowledge of the industry is probs of the same level across both sexes, for those outside of the industry
Original post by Satanas
You are clearly incredibly arrogant to assume that how you perceive things is how everyone else does.

Good day.

As you mentioned yourself ... sexism is rife in this area, don't be surprised if people react this way to your post. Good to hear that you are just curious tho.
Original post by mango peeler
don't apologise lad :beer:

Stop being a bad influence. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest