The Student Room Group

I went to the Calais refugee camp today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fr0sr_
The fact that they've had the chance to live under better economic conditions hundreds/thousands of miles away from the UK, and have merely taken this further FAR longer journey for our hand-outs and benefits renders them as "scum".

In reality we should destroy "The Jungle" and forcibly deport all citizens back to outside the Syrian border, thus to allow them to follow the legal process of registering as a refugee at the first safe country they arrive at.

Now THAT is something I'd be willing to invest my taxpaying income on.
why do you think that migrants in Calais are mainly Syrian ? there are lots of Afghans, Eritreans, Egyptians, Pakistanis etc etc

in any case, what does "taking them to the Syrian border" mean ? I don't think that Turkey would admit them: they have already something like 2.5 million Syrian refugees in camps near the border. Lebanon has more than 1 million, Jordan almost 1.5 million. So, where should they go ?
Original post by iEthan
No, it's not the same to me. With respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It'd do the world some good if you gained some perspective before making such comments.

Arriving without papers, failing to register and crossing multiple borders without claiming asylum makes them ILLEGAL immigrants and therefore guilty of commuting crimes!! = CRIMINALS
Original post by Sammylou40
Arriving without papers, failing to register and crossing multiple borders without claiming asylum makes them ILLEGAL immigrants and therefore guilty of commuting crimes!! = CRIMINALS

OK sure. Yes, commuting crimes = criminal. Cool. :h:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Hahaha :laugh:

Spoiler

Just as the mainstream media have done/are 'encouraging' (brainwashing?) the general public to do, you've conflated all Calais migrants with the sub-group, of the sub-group 'refugees', who are forced to leave their homelands

Heck, at least you're honest about your disingenuous commentary :yy:

Better yet,we can go together and help make a difference to these people's lives :smile:
Original post by iEthan
OK sure. Yes, commuting crimes = criminal. Cool. :h:
spellcheck
Committing
You knew that anyway
Original post by Foo.mp3
Haha, then it really would be over my dead body :lolwut:

No it wouldn't Hun. There are plenty of people who work there and make it out alive :smile:
Original post by iEthan
We'd (as a country) certainly do our bit like the rest of the European Union to resolve this issue.
so : how should the issue be resolved ? should everybody who wishes to migrate to the UK be let in ?

no country in the EU has a complete "open door" policy. Should there be such a policy? how could we possibly deal with the resulting inflow of migrants ?
(edited 8 years ago)
It's interesting how people are unable to differentiate between migrants and refugees.
Original post by Aceadria
It's interesting how people are unable to differentiate between migrants and refugees.

Some of the mainstream media bear some responsibility for the ignorance and emotion. The simplistic narrative (the BBC is particularly bad at dealing with the terrible complexity of all this) is of desperate children getting drowned with their bodies picked up by Turkish border guards and cradled in their arms while the heartless UK refuses to simply open its borders a la Merkel and let them all in to safety, a warm fire and tea and crumpets.

I saw an interesting but depressing article in the Financial Times talking about how some local authorities are refusing to accept further asylum seeker cases because they can't afford it any more.

And that is not to include the additional 20,000 which have been promised. Kent is having to send its own population requiring emergency accommodation out of county because of all the new arrivals.

Will you hear all this on New at Ten? No chance.
While there are British people living rough on the streets of Britain I do not want a single penny of our taxpayers' money going to help illegal foreign migrants.
Original post by Aceadria
you know, it's not really a black or white issue. Much depends from definitions.
Original post by mariachi
you know, it's not really a black or white issue. Much depends from definitions.

I agree but my point is that people on TSR and in the press can't seem to differentiate between the two (not just speaking about this particular influx but in general). Someone fleeing certain death is different to, say, an economic migrant looking for a better lifestyle.
Original post by iEthan
We'd (as a country) certainly do our bit like the rest of the European Union to resolve this issue. You have absolutely no idea what these poor people have had to go through to get there. Yet you criticise them without a care in the world from your warm, war-free home. :facepalm:

Neither do you or anybody else, given that we don't even know who they are..........

You might whine about people generalising these guys as economic migrants and blah blah, yet it's perfectly fine for you to generalise them as all being poor refugees from war-torn countries? Face it, you haven't got a clue any more than the other guy does and you'd be a liar if you claimed you do. Especially when you consider that one of the things we actually do know is that loads of them aren't even Syrian......
(edited 8 years ago)
Ship them back to their muslim crapholes. We have civilization to maintain here!
Hooray! The slum clearance has begun.
Reply 195
Original post by dozyrosie
Hooray! The slum clearance has begun.

They are just moved to other camps; they will be back. The "jungle" can only vanish if it was legal to expel people that claim to be refugees.
Judging by the reaction of the economic migrant scum to the police prescence you'd almost assume that they were being sent to be exterminated! But no, they're being taken to a secure housing facility, from what I understand.
It's a shame that the French deal with them with such a soft touch.
Original post by jedanselemyia
I didn't personally ask them anything since I didn't speak any of their languages so what I have is second hand accounts. But we were personally very interested in their stories. They have a very bad experience with French police and right wing groups (there were people guarding the camp like sentinels because of these groups infiltrating the camp) and I doubt this encouraged them to seek asylum in France :frown:

Wait, so these people don't even speak english? I thought the only reason they were trying to cross and claim asylum here in the UK was because they spoke English and not french? How enlightening, it's obviously because they think they will have it better here than elsewhere in Europe...
Original post by Sammylou40

I'm not sure if this is a joke but if it's not, you are completely ignorant. Maybe they don't have any paper because they travelled through the ocean fleeing from war, let me remind you they're refugees not migrants! Who are they supposed to register with? The European soldiers? Who? They're illegal... Huh... They left a war that if you forget the USA and UK helped fund. The schools their children went to were bombed, their houses were bombed, their children, wives, husbands, family. I feel as though you're commuting more of a crime than they're by having this obsurd ideology. If the UK were in deep ****, golden carpets would be layed on the ground for us, we'd have petals thrown over us and every contenent helping us. I am ashamed to say that I am apart of the U.K. I'm ashamed to say I'm a human because if this is what a human is, then I'd rather die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending