The Student Room Group

What is Wales like?

Scroll to see replies

Lived in Cardiff all my life & i love it <3
the weather is pretty ****, most of the time.
Reply 21
Original post by CreamyChocolate
My parents want to retire in Wales and buy a big house there as houses are cheaper.

This got me thinking.

What is Wales like?

My impression of Wales is not great.

I remember shoddy sea side towns

Is it just a poor version of England, like Ireland?

Its lovely up here! Our government values us. Our prescriptions are free, university is subsidised, EMA to support some full time students.

Where I live, I wake up to the sun dancing on the mountains to the birdsong. The crime rates are low, everyone knows everyone pretty much. Im 30 mins from the foot of a range of mountains, 20 mins from 2 different cities (1 in England) and 25 mins from the Beach. What more could you want?
Cardiff is a really nice place to live, definitely a nice place to grow up in (roath park ftw 😂), clean fresh air, polite people, and the city itself has developed a huge amount in the last 10 years in terms of shopping and restaurants :smile:

As for Wales in general, there are some ups and downs, there are some impoverished/very industrialised areas but on the flip side there are some places in Wales that are breathtakingly beautiful.

Price of living in Wales is also a lot cheaper that some of the main cities of England so that's nice too.

I can see why your parents would like to retire here.

EDIT: the weather can be a bit crap sometimes but then we're far enough south that we don't get a massive amount of snow, mainly just rain and wind. Saying that, the rest of the UKs weather isn't exactly the Sahara desert so yeah, take what you want :L
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
There's many places in south wales that are beautiful, mind you. It's just the post-industrial valleys that tend not to be the best.
Where are you from btw?

Porthcawl was definitely beautiful, from what I can remember. One of the most prominent things I can remember is the fact it had a beautiful beach - I'm from Liverpool and the closest beach to us is Crosby and the sea is so dirty it barely qualifies as water.

Now you've mentioned it, though, I don't know why I've never connected my love of South Wales to the fact it houses some of the most impoverished areas areas in the UK - I feel a tad bad I haven't, actually. :redface:

Hope things aren't too bad where you live?
Reply 24
Original post by Hydeman
Alright, but I'm shy. :hide:

Philosophy toga social rn if you wan to join
Reply 25
Original post by The Warsmith
That's mildly insulting, if you ask me.

@Airmed, what do you think :biggrin:?

#@#! How dare they! Ireland is beautiful!
It's nice, but you should visit Llanfairpwllgwyngllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(edited 8 years ago)
Welsh countryside is nicee
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sexaaaaayyy
Reply 29
Wales is nice but then I prefer the quiet..
Whales, whales everywhere.
Reply 31
Original post by CreamyChocolate
My parents want to retire in Wales and buy a big house there as houses are cheaper.

This got me thinking.

What is Wales like?

My impression of Wales is not great.

I remember shoddy sea side towns

Is it just a poor version of England, like Ireland?

Original post by stefano865
Full of incestuous nutters who have sex with sheep. :tongue:

But I do like 'Bara Brith'. :biggrin:

The one good thing to come out of Wales. :ahee:

Seriously rethink your first sentence
Original post by ATLHustler
Seriously rethink your first sentence

ooh

Sounds like someone is about to report me. :tongue:
"Is it just a poor version of England, like Ireland" :lol: wow.

I much prefer it over England tbh
Reply 35
It's dirt poor, awful weather, language is revolting, nationalism is rife, the scenery is the only redeeming factor and it gets boring.
Original post by whorace
It's dirt poor, awful weather, language is revolting, nationalism is rife, the scenery is the only redeeming factor and it gets boring.

The bold is something of a falsehood...
Reply 37
Original post by Hydeman
The bold is something of a falsehood...

I don't agree with you. Nationalism was very bad when I went there, it is not the racist kind but the 'Wales is better than you at everything' and anti-English sentiment did exist.
Original post by whorace
I don't agree with you. Nationalism was very bad when I went there, it is not the racist kind but the 'Wales is better than you at everything' and anti-English sentiment did exist.

Oh, that sort of thing definitely exists, but that's tribalism rather than nationalism, in my view. Plenty of that can be found in the other home nations too.

As for anti-English sentiment: it probably does exist, but it's nowhere near 'rife.' If it was anywhere close to that, it would be more visible than it is, I think. Where exactly in Wales did you visit?
I saw a DOUBLE rainbow! and half of a mountain was brighter than the other...it was beautiful. If you go to the far far top of Wales, there's a small town called Llandudno, it's a wonderland for oldies.

Quick Reply

Latest