The Student Room Group

Should a garage repalce a head gasket if it failed within 1 year from when they did i

If a garage replaced a head gasket and charged for it but then it failed around 9 months later, should the garage have to replace it ?

A few days after I bought my car ( about 9 months ago ) garage diagnosed and charged £955.58 to replace it ( though later found out they lied and replaced only the water pump but did not confront them as had no concrete evidence)

Recently I replaced expansion tank because it had a leak ( replacement tank is a used one as needed it asap and couldn't wait 1 week delivery for new one )

I notice several days after topping up the level dropped ( at first thought it was just disposing of excess water) but then it went near to min level. also notice which is odd, coolant looks slightly higher when cold than it does when water it hot.

I replaced hoses a few months ago when they were leaking, can't see no leaks, car runs fine, (slight power loss but assume that is due to faulty MAF), no smoke whatsoever from exhaust, no contaminated oil e.t.c.

any ideas ?
Reply 1
Original post by I love life
If a garage replaced a head gasket and charged for it but then it failed around 9 months later, should the garage have to replace it ?

A few days after I bought my car ( about 9 months ago ) garage diagnosed and charged £955.58 to replace it ( though later found out they lied and replaced only the water pump but did not confront them as had no concrete evidence)

Recently I replaced expansion tank because it had a leak ( replacement tank is a used one as needed it asap and couldn't wait 1 week delivery for new one )

I notice several days after topping up the level dropped ( at first thought it was just disposing of excess water) but then it went near to min level. also notice which is odd, coolant looks slightly higher when cold than it does when water it hot.

I replaced hoses a few months ago when they were leaking, can't see no leaks, car runs fine, (slight power loss but assume that is due to faulty MAF), no smoke whatsoever from exhaust, no contaminated oil e.t.c.

any ideas ?

The part itself may come with a warranty so you may be able to get a free replacement (if that's what the issue is) but don't expect it to be installed for free.

Sounds like you bought a lemon.
Reply 2
Original post by Howard
The part itself may come with a warranty so you may be able to get a free replacement (if that's what the issue is) but don't expect it to be installed for free.

Sounds like you bought a lemon.

?????????

The garage gave me no receipt even when I asked for one

How did I buy a lemon ? Told you it is very likely that garage lied about HG yet charged anyway

Wait, so you are saying it is unlikely that the work is covered within 1 year ?

Even after we paid a £50 repair on a washing even that came with guarantee
Reply 3
?????????

How did I buy a lemon ? Told you it is very likely that garage lied about HG yet charged anyway

Wait, so you are saying it is unlikely that the work is covered within 1 year ?

Even after we paid a £50 repair on a washing even that came with guarantee

Yup. That's what I'm saying. Call them and find out but don't be surprised if they say they only warranty the work for a 6 months or even 3. If you think they charged for work they didn't do why did you pay them for it? If you found out later, why didn't you challenge them then?

You actually asked for a receipt and they refused to give you one? You suspect that they charged you for work they didn't do? With that sort of track record why would you expect this shoddy outfit to start doing repair works for free. Have they come to Jesus and turned over a new leaf?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
?????????

This sounds very dodgy to me. A reputable garage will give you a receipt. Hell, even most of the disreputable ones will give you a receipt!

To be honest, to prove the HG was not replaced I imagine you would need to physically wave it in their face, which would involve taking the engine apart again. To make it worthwhile you would need to be able to claim back the labour costs involved in that, and without a receipt to prove that you paid for the work in the first place I don't know what you can do.

Did you pay on card or with cash?

I think the best way forward is probably to learn from the experience and ensure you use a reputable garage - not necessarily the cheapest garage! A good garage will show you the old parts that they have replaced afterwards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Talon
This sounds very dodgy to me. A reputable garage will give you a receipt. Hell, even most of the disreputable ones will give you a receipt!

To be honest, to prove the HG was not replaced I imagine you would need to physically wave it in their face, which would involve taking the engine apart again. To make it worthwhile you would need to be able to claim back the labour costs involved in that, and without a receipt to prove that you paid for the work in the first place I don't know what you can do.

Did you pay on card or with cash?

I think the best way forward is probably to learn from the experience and ensure you use a reputable garage - not necessarily the cheapest garage! A good garage will show you the old parts that they have replaced afterwards.

they charged £955.58, They had hold of my car for 2 weeks ( which was very frustrating as I had only just got it and was being restricted from it while they had it ), they had it because we were battling with warrantywise who at first refused to pay out, so I ended up paying for it , in cash, which WarrantyWise later refunded to me.
I have several witnesses who know my car was in that garage for a supposed HG job inc the dealership who sold me the car

I agree it si very dodgy they gave no receipt

As said, I don't know for sure that the HG is the cause, no symptoms whatsoever other than water in expansion bottle seems to be lower when I check which is every day or 2. If it continues dropping I will have to do further tests
Reply 6
Within a couple of weeks? Yes.
Within a year? LOL! absolutely not.
Reply 7
Original post by JC.
Within a couple of weeks? Yes.
Within a year? LOL! absolutely not.

????????????

Why, even my washing machine has 6 months Warranty after I paid only £50 repair on it which Inc parts and labor

As said, doubt head gasket is blown but just a possibility on the list
Reply 8
????????????

Why, even my washing machine has 6 months Warranty after I paid only £50 repair on it which Inc parts and labor

As said, doubt head gasket is blown but just a possibility on the list

How many heat cycles does a cars engine go through in the space of a year?
A gasket is a consumable.
If you burn through a set of tyres in a year you can't take them back either.
Reply 9
Original post by JC.
How many heat cycles does a cars engine go through in the space of a year?
A gasket is a consumable.
If you burn through a set of tyres in a year you can't take them back either.

how many times does a washing machine spin each year ?

yet that still gets warranty inc parts and labor
Reply 10
Well you clearly know best so why bother making yet another thread?
Original post by JC.
Well you clearly know best so why bother making yet another thread?

See ,you can't answer because you know I am right ( and you are wrong) and so you have been defeated by me

MODS, Please delete this thread now, I found help elsewhere now anyway so you may now terminate this thread now if you want

Cheers
Reply 12
I'm not conceeding you're right at all. I'm just not going to argue with an idiot.
Original post by JC.
I'm not conceeding you're right at all. I'm just not going to argue with an idiot.

You sir, is the idiot

I asked how many times a washing machine spins a year and you were unable to answer after asking me how many times a car engine spins a year

MODS DELETE THIS THREAD PELASE ASAP ( Don't like arguments on my threads)
Reply 14
You haven't answered my question yet...

We were discussing your Ford diesel turd not white goods.
Original post by JC.
You haven't answered my question yet...

We were discussing your Ford diesel turd not white goods.

What question , I don't recall you asking any ?

I don't know what a turd is but back to you, your car's are all rust buckets, ugly things to look at. they may be classic car's and some may be worth a bit but nobody wants to see them on the roads these days, it feels like using a time machine and going back to the 70's or 80's and everything feels outdated whenever people see car's like yours. nobody wants to see them anymore, so scrap them or give them to a museum for free if they actually decide they want them and go get with the times and get a real car of today's era.
Reply 16
If nobody wanted classics they wouldn't be worth anything.
They'd be worth... well... what a knackered, bodged together diesel focus is worth. i.e dick all.

Take your own advice and get a new car. You clearly haven't got a clue.
Original post by JC.
If nobody wanted classics they wouldn't be worth anything.
They'd be worth... well... what a knackered, bodged together diesel focus is worth. i.e dick all.

Take your own advice and get a new car. You clearly haven't got a clue.

I will get a new car when I am done with my current car, I do have some sort of clue about cars and I know people i n the trade, many master technicians that will know more than you do about car repairs

My diesel focus is actually not too bad at all thank you, got maf wiring today so that will be repaired by an auto electrician soon, apart from that I don't really have any faults with it at all.
And I recently got several quotes for my car out of curiosity after filling in all the correct information the majority of quotes for the value of my car was between £1,900 to ,£2,300 so that is hardly '' dick all '' ( what a chav thing of you to say) is it ?

Regarding your ''car'', yes there are a minority of people that like classic cars, but they are usually childless people or older people who think they are still in the 1970's who live a very outdated and odd life, known as odd balls, perhaps like yourself.

The majority of cars on the road today are from the year 2000 onwards, maybe the odd few 1998 cars too.

I doubt many modern people actually desire your type of car, even if they ever have seen one on the road. They may look, sure, but that is because how odd they look in modern times and they stand out for all the wrong reasons

I know of several rich people and also see many posh looking people who drive flash modern cars, they could easily afford to buy old rusty 1970's or 1980's shite on wheels ( that you call a car) but they decide that they would rather be dead then to be seen in one.

Goodnight
Reply 18
Master tech's eh?
More like bodge artists...

You're just trying to take a dig at me because you know you've been outed as a numpty.
How many more threads are you going to make about this rolling turd? Just weigh it in! It's knacked!
I will get a new car when I am done with my current car, I do have some sort of clue about cars and I know people i n the trade, many master technicians that will know more than you do about car repairs

That seems kinda unlikely, if you know master technicians why do you keep taking your car to Brian - a guy who, from the work you've described, couldn't pick up a hammer by the right end on the first attempt? Are they all so bored of your tedious questions that you still need to ask them here?

As for JC's cars, they're the kind of cars that are bought because people want to drive them and are interested in them. Lots of Focus (and other hatchback) drivers buy them because they're better than walking, rather than because they have any real interest in cars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending