The Student Room Group

Anger as boycott of Israeli goods to becomes a criminal offense

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtofProtest
So you supportive of a move towards authoritarianism, totalitarianism and dictatorship?

That was very enlightening.

No I'm supportive of the government deciding foreign policy (as has always been the way) it's you who thinks this is authoritarianism, totalitarianism and dictatorship not I. I consider it quite reasonable.

So I would say I support this reasonable restriction the government has placed on government funded institutions

But hey don't like it we do live in a democracy so feel free to use the process to try and get what you want
(edited 8 years ago)
And
I told

else

position.

Also
is

enfranchisement

ting author?

No I'm supportive of the government deciding foreign policy (as has always been the way) it's you who thinks this is authoritarianism, totalitarianism and dictatorship not I. I consider it quite reasonable.

So I would say I support this reasonable restriction the government has placed on government funded institutions

But hey don't like it we do live in a democracy so feel free to use the process to try and get what you want
The reasons given for the ban on boycotts are extremely weak:

"Senior government sources said they were cracking down on town-hall boycotts because they “undermined good community relations, poisoned and polarised debate and fuelled anti-Semitism"

How can a local boycott of an arms company undermine good community relations? In what manner does it poison or polarise debate if our local representatives decide to boycott a corporation it regards something as unethical?

While I agree the reasoning is quite weak don't pretend the boycott is all about arms manufacturers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even as a friend of Israel I really don't see the point of the legislation. If an institution, public or not, decides for whatever reason they wish not to use certain services or goods, then that is their choice. This will do nothing but foster ill will.
If they really want to boycott Israel, maybe they shouldn't accept public money from a state that is aligned with them :wink:.
Original post by GoldenFang
(1) It is absolutely fair to hold local authorities, universities etc to the law; that is, you can't discriminate based on national origin. It seems that people are quite wiling to countenance discrimination if it's against Jews (I say Jews because, notably, the only state they protest against is the world's only Jewish state)

(2) It is fair for the government to say that it is not for local authorities to make their own foreign policy. Foreign policy is an area reasonably within the purview of the executive, it's ludicrous for jumped up local councillors to make their "nuclear free zones" in Slough or to declare they are sanctioning a country.

Is the BDS movement even legal under the Equality Act 2010?
Original post by Unkempt_One
Is the BDS movement even legal under the Equality Act 2010?

Why would it not be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anarchism101
Why would it not be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because nationality is one of the protected characteristics.
The reasons given for the ban on boycotts are extremely weak:

"Senior government sources said they were cracking down on town-hall boycotts because they “undermined good community relations, poisoned and polarised debate and fuelled anti-Semitism"

How can a local boycott of an arms company undermine good community relations? In what manner does it poison or polarise debate if our local representatives decide to boycott a corporation it regards something as unethical?

Our Councillors are our representatives, not Cameron's appointees who have gone rogue. If we don't like how they operate, then we vote them out.

As you can see today, the papers are full of articles about anti-Semitism dressed up as anti-Zionism. It poisons and polarises the government policy towards Israel and the Palestinians if local councils are running their own foreign policies. It undermines good community relations in the UK if Jewish and pro-Israeli groups perceive local councils to be hostile to them and if anti-Jewish and anti-Israeli groups feel they can get an edge by putting political pressure on local authorities.
Because nationality is one of the protected characteristics.

But it doesn't apply to institutions and products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it doesn't apply to institutions and products.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it does apply to individuals and the BDS movement have explicitly sanctioned boycotting academics.
But it does apply to individuals and the BDS movement have explicitly sanctioned boycotting academics.

On the basis of which institutions they work at associate with, not their nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the basis of which institutions they work at associate with, not their nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The set of institutions being defined on the basis of nationality. The whole flaw with the BDS movement is that targets institutions based on an assumed responsibility for simply existing in a certain geographical area, rather than a direct contribution to human rights violations. Because of this there's no leeway to claim that the institutions are not being targeted on the basis of nationality. It's also, I dare say, possible to target institutions without explicitly forbidding the dealing with individuals in an unofficial as well as official capacity. Since you've implied this is not the case it's obvious the problem you have is with the individuals as much as the institutions. It's a bit like if a bad bank caused a financial crisis and you decided to imprison every single employee of the bank for malpractice.
Original post by viddy9
I wonder how this will be enforced. Can't public bodies simply not buy goods from the illegal settlements or fossil fuel companies without stating their true reasons?

Interesting that the EU is boycotting goods from the illegal Israeli settlements, yet local councils and universities cannot.

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

This policy is going to be announced in Israel, so it's obviously about Israel and suppressing criticism of the world's biggest terrorist state, regardless of what this scheming government claims. Well, I'll continue to watch out for goods from their illegal settlements. I suppose this will simply make individuals more determined to do so.

Interestingly, Leicester council in it's defence to a lawsuit from a Jewish rights group over it's boycott admitted that the boycott itself was effectively unenforceable and couldn't be implemented with however council procurement works. It was essentially solely a symbolic political statement.

A local council and the EU are not in the slightest the same type of organisations and do not have the same remits. You might as well query why HM Prison Service can keep people in custody but when you try and lock someone in your basement for twenty years that's a no no.

You think Israel is the world's biggest terrorist state?
Their belligerent attitude towards Palestinian paramilitary terrorist groups that constantly fire rockets at them and try to build tunnels into their territory constitutes that does it? They share a region with the likes of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey and Iran, but it's Israel that's the world's biggest terrorist state?
Original post by viddy9
Interesting that the EU is boycotting goods from the illegal Israeli settlements

No, it isn't.
Reply 75
Original post by pol pot noodles

Local councils are elected and this constitutes an attack on local democracy.

We can have a debate on Israel-Palestine elsewhere, but I'll not respond to it here.

Original post by admonit
No, it isn't.

I have updated on that issue now, thanks.
Original post by viddy9
Local councils are elected and this constitutes an attack on local democracy.

We can have a debate on Israel-Palestine elsewhere, but I'll not respond to it here.

The fact they are elected doesn't matter. Being elected doesn't give you a broad mandate to do whatever you want. Councils have a specific remit and foreign policy does not fall into that area. The same way a Crime Commissioner can't arbritarily decide to raise a paramilitary army and invade Zimbabwe to topple Mugabe simply because they were elected and have a strong 'moral' stance on the issue.

You raised the matter with your inflammatory statement but hey ho. Answer me just this though, do you honestly seriously consider Israel to be the world's biggest terrorist state, in a world that includes the likes of Syria, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Sudan?
Reply 77
The fact they are elected doesn't matter. Being elected doesn't give you a broad mandate to do whatever you want. Councils have a specific remit and foreign policy does not fall into that area. The same way a Crime Commissioner can't arbritarily decide to raise a paramilitary army and invade Zimbabwe to topple Mugabe simply because they were elected and have a strong 'moral' stance on the issue.

They have a mandate to buy products for their areas. Universities have a mandate to buy whichever products they want for their universities. A crime commissioner does not have a mandate to make decisions outside of his or her area.

You raised the matter with your inflammatory statement but hey ho. Answer me just this though, do you honestly seriously consider Israel to be the world's biggest terrorist state, in a world that includes the likes of Syria, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Sudan?

Not every brutal dictatorship or regime is necessarily a terrorist state on top of being a brutal regime. Israel has been documented deliberately targeting civilian infrastructure and threatening violence against the Palestinians in order to achieve wider political aims, including trying to change the political situation in the Gaza Strip, and so on. Furthermore, by targeting flour mills and other infrastructure integral to Palestinian society, it has sought to ensure that the Gaza Strip in particular is entirely dependent on Israel for its supplies. This is all easily verifiable by independent human rights organisations.

All of the states that you mention do, in a trivial sense, use terror tactics against their own populations, just as ISIS use terror tactics against their own population. In fact, one could argue that all states use violence, or the threat of violence, against their own populations to maintain their political system. But, when we refer to terrorism in the colloquial sense (say, terrorism by ISIS), we generally mean terror tactics used against other populations. I'm also referring to terror tactics used against other populations by the state apparatus, not by groups that they may sponsor. Fair enough, what Saudi Arabia is currently doing in Yemen may constitute state terrorism (again, using information from independent human rights organisations), but Israel's actions have gone on for far longer.

That's the last I'll say on this.
(edited 8 years ago)
political correctness at its very best

the good thing about political correctness is how easy it is to curve because of how 1-2-3 it is

so all it means is that they cannnot 'officially' boycott them, thats fine, they just dont have to 'choose' to go them, no one can 'force' you to buy from anywhere

the appropriate reaction is simply to boycott them but unofficially, just dont buy from them, you dont have to justify why you would rather buy from elsewhere
The set of institutions being defined on the basis of nationality. The whole flaw with the BDS movement is that targets institutions based on an assumed responsibility for simply existing in a certain geographical area, rather than a direct contribution to human rights violations. Because of this there's no leeway to claim that the institutions are not being targeted on the basis of nationality. It's also, I dare say, possible to target institutions without explicitly forbidding the dealing with individuals in an unofficial as well as official capacity. Since you've implied this is not the case it's obvious the problem you have is with the individuals as much as the institutions. It's a bit like if a bad bank caused a financial crisis and you decided to imprison every single employee of the bank for malpractice.

Institutions aren't protected under the equality act. It's nothing like that, boycotting and imprisoning are completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending