The Student Room Group

Brutally Honest: The A-Grade Procrastinator.

Scroll to see replies

I hope you do well, good luck and good work! :yy:
Reply 21
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
I hope you do well, good luck and good work! :yy:

Thanks!
Reply 22
Well a few hours ago I felt really good and really motivated. Strange how things can suddenly flip upside down within a couple of hours.

Despite getting a B overall last year for English, I actually got an A in the exam, something that my family were aware of. My recent D grade in the English mock has not gone down very well at all. I've just had a lovely lecture from my Godfather. I know I probably could have done a lot better and I feel disappointed and all over the place at the same time. I have a feeling that resitting my English mock is going to be compulsory...

Also Uni of Birmingham has just rejected me. Birmingham and Loughborough were the 2 unis I actually wanted to go to, I dont care for Liverpool, (that was literally my mum's choice), ARU was always the backup of the backup plan (i already have enough Ucas points to get in!) and why go to Aston, when Uni of Brum is where I want to be, it wouldnt be so bad if I chose Aston over UoB, but I havent. It's like getting Kre-o (fake lego) for Xmas, when you actually wanted genuine real Lego. Although it looks similar, Kreo feels cheaper, the colours arent as bright and nobody knows the brand at all.

I'm now just feeling hella unmotivated, I literally have nothing to work for. The job i want simply wants a 2:2 in anything and I can get the job via a 2yr apprenticeship. I'm not sure what to do or where my head space is at. I always thought I was academic and clever, but all the good institutions seem to disagree with that. :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by donte
Well a few hours ago I felt really good and really motivated. Strange how things can suddenly flip upside down within a couple of hours.

Despite getting a B overall last year for English, I actually got an A in the exam, something that my family were aware of. My recent D grade in the English mock has not gone down very well at all. I've just had a lovely lecture from my Godfather. I know I probably could have done a lot better and I feel disappointed and all over the place at the same time. I have a feeling that resitting my English mock is going to be compulsory...

Also Uni of Birmingham has just rejected me. Birmingham and Loughborough were the 2 unis I actually wanted to go to, I dont care for Liverpool, (that was literally my mum's choice), ARU was always the backup of the backup plan (i already have enough Ucas points to get in!) and why go to Aston, when Uni of Brum is where I want to be, it wouldnt be so bad if I chose Aston over UoB, but I havent. It's like getting Kre-o (fake lego) for Xmas, when you actually wanted genuine real Lego. Although it looks similar, Kreo feels cheaper, the colours arent as bright and nobody knows the brand at all.

I'm now just feeling hella unmotivated, I literally have nothing to work for. The job i want simply wants a 2:2 in anything and I can get the job via a 2yr apprenticeship. I'm not sure what to do or where my head space is at. I always thought I was academic and clever, but all the good institutions seem to disagree with that. :frown:

I was quite tired and evidently very bitter yesterday. I'm feeling a lot better now. I decided to look at the universities again and realised I should have had more faith in myself. Clearly Past-me had his head screwed on and knew what he was doing when he applied for those courses, my heart isnt so broken now. And all my choices dont look so bad. Plus theres always Clearing & Adjustment so if I get some amazing grades I still could get into UoB :smile:
Reply 24
I went over SHM (Physics) and did a couple of exam questions. I got 71%, though one question isn't covered on the syllabus any more so my mark is a little higher than that. :smile:

I've started my English coursework draft (due 1:00 pm Monday), so that's a slight improvement on my time management, I usually start it a few hours before its due :s-smilie:. I'm not sure how much I'll get finished today because I'm awfully tired.

I've started my room displays/ wall mind maps, I probably wont finish them until around Weds/Thurs, hopefully I'll be able to post pics this time! :biggrin:

Donte
Reply 25
So today I spoke to my English teacher and he was glad I've decided to resit the mock, he felt I'd really underperformed despite me meeting my prediction.

I also handed in my first draft of my English Coursework (Language Investigation), it was a bit last minute, I spent most of Sunday night and Monday morning finishing it off. I think its pretty good but I am annoyed that my bad time management made me do it so late, but at least I'd annotated it before hand so it didn't take as long and I started it early on Sunday and not 5pm like I normally would do.

I rushed my business homework, because I forgot to do it, but I plan to do it better tonight because luckily she forgot to ask for it! I also have Physics homework to do tonight, due for tomorrow.

I also plan to do my AS English coursework starting this week, as I am resitting the 'C' I got last year, hoping to change that to an A!
Reply 26
So this is a little late. In my folder I've been doing a monthly review of my grades, its homeworks/mocks/classwork combined. So January is as follows:

Physics - C
Business - A
English - B/C
Reply 27
So here's another update.
My revision is completely off point, Ive been mega distracted by things of little importance. But I got a beautiful slap of reality earlier, its less than 100 days til my first exam and I am by no means doing well in physics. I understood the class work but the exam question seem insanely hard in comparison.

This half term I have a:
Business Project to complete,
a PH6 Data Task to complete,
revision for a test (and a mock) on Language Change.
(hopefully) complete Revision of PH4 and at least half of PH2 and some BUS1 Revision
A story and Commentary to compile. (1st Draft)
A transcript and Commentary to compile. (1st Draft)

I also need to finish my wall! Looks like im in for a busy half term!
Reply 28
I havent shared anything on here so this is my Physics Revision Sheet. It allows me to gauge where I am for certain topics.

Draft - E
Basic - D
OK - C
Good - B
Very Good - A
Excellent - A*

I created it a few days ago and as a default I have placed myself on Draft/E for every topic. I doubt many of you are doing WJEC Physics, but the general concept may be helpful to you. Enjoy :P
Reply 29
Just done half a past paper for Physics 4. Failed spectacularly. Nearly 31%. I really need to sort this out, I feel like im going backwards.
Reply 30
Just a quick update.

Spent most of today very distracted and couldnt work. But then at about 6:00pm something clicked and i was able to focus! I did a solid 2hrs+ of Physics on just momentum and photon momentum and ive now got quite a good grasp, i just need to keep doing past papers and consistently hit 80%+ now.
I also did 15minutes of business, doesnt sound like a lot but it was more than enough (random questions on random topics).
And 15 mins on Driving Theory Stuff.

I'm feeling pretty good :biggrin:
Original post by donte
Donatello.

absolute cuute name
Reply 32
Original post by chickenfoot
absolute cuute name

Original post by donte
Thanks! I have looked for a tutor but theyre pretty expensive like £35p/h! Ive tried Youtube with Dr Physics A, but he often sends me to sleep :s-smilie:

I'm only in year 11, but examsolutions is really good and goes through all the maths topics really thoroughly :smile:
(and does it for most/all A level exam boards?)

http://www.examsolutions.net/
Reply 34
Original post by surina16
I'm only in year 11, but examsolutions is really good and goes through all the maths topics really thoroughly :smile:
(and does it for most/all A level exam boards?)

http://www.examsolutions.net/

Thanks, it looks really good! :biggrin:
Reply 35
So I joined one of Anon's Revision Sessions on Friday. I got a reasonable amount of work done before I was dragged to a spontaneous holiday of sorts. So I haven't managed to do an awful lot the last few days due to the "holiday", hopefully tonight I can complete a little more and finish up my wall posters!
Reply 36
I got my English Coursework back, I didn't plan my time well enough and did most of it the night before. I got a High D/ Low C grade. :/

My teacher went over it with me and now I'm moreso on track. I plan on doing 2hrs on it tonight and starting my English Story as well.

I'm also on the hunt for a Physics tutor, I need one and there's no way around it without possibly harming my grades.
Reply 37
Hey so I have done a bit of work. Just bits and pieces. I seem to be doing a lot better in class, every class including Physics (so far, fingers crossed it stays this way.) I seem to be a bit more confident in class, I can answer most questions asked and seem to understand the concepts a bit better. I know I'm still a far cry away from the grades I want (and need!) but I feel like its getting a bit better (for the time being anyway.) :biggrin:

I'm off for a few days, but my new timetable is after college (around 5ish):

1hr - Physics
0.5hr - 1hr - Business
0.5hr- 1hr - English
Shoot 50 arrows & Training/Strength exercises - Archery

I'm hoping my archery will break up the workload and give me some fun, plus if I can do 2-3hrs of work per night I will get my grades.

Donte :P
Reply 38
So its been a while since I last updated. I was on a business trip/competition (which i won :biggrin: )

Anyhow my revision has gone. I havent been doing very well at all. I'm struggling to find a revision space where i cant be distracted. I also got feedback on my mock results today and that was a kick in the teeth. My business teacher was singing my praises but my English teacher and Physics teacher are both now predicting me a C grade maximum.

My english teacher now fully believes im incompetent and thicker than 2 bricks, unbeknownst to him that my work is constantly taken by the people surrounding me, they copy everything I've done and take credit for it. It was really getting under my skin but I know that every time he congratulates them, he's really congratulating me. I've just got to prove through the exams that I'm not stupid.

As for Physics, he doesnt know what to do with me. He reckons that I've only ever given him C/D grade stuff, which isnt true. I know I need to work heck of a lot harder but I'm not very good at this revision thing. Old habits die hard I suppose, and it takes me a while to go over topics that i know im not very good at (probably a fear of failure) but I am going to pull through.

If I want to get into a Russell Group/1% BS, I need to get all A grades this year. I'm going to get my head screwed on and start hitting the books hard. Immediately. Literally once I've gotten home. (and Ive done quite a bit today!)

PS. My physics marks have gone up. And in my practical I have been averaging a high B/low A!!! :biggrin:
Reply 39
I created a nice new revision space. Its in a corner of the kitchen so im near food and aren't as distracted by my family! Its temporary at the moment but ill see how it works for next few days. Fingers crossed this is the one!

I did half a PH6 paper (my exam is this friday :s-smilie:) - i did the beginning fine, but i cocked up the graph and i couldnt check it because there wasnt one in the markscheme! Anyway I plan on going to a Physics Tutorial tomorrow so ill get that ironed out.

I'm also getting a study buddy. Hopefully we'll revise Thursday & Friday morning just before the exam and then we'll continue revising up until the summer exams.

I also did some English coursework. I managed to do a fair bit of feature spotting, so ive just got to type it up tomorrow morning and get another draft in by the end of the week.

I also finished my AS coursework draft (story), i tried to cram essentially the plot for a novel in 1000 words. it didnt go down well, but my teacher did like the story concept and has told me to focus on the main theme which is immigration/migration. So that's not doing too badly.

As I said before I still have a whole heap of issues and im behind on work. My teachers dont think i'll make it, this morning i agreed with them, but the progress I've made in just one evening has convinced me otherwise, i just need to keep the pace up and essentially destroy my entire social life for the next 16 weeks!

Yours
and overwhelmed, slightly exhausted Donte.

Quick Reply

Latest