The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a job? Kind of vague.
Depends on your income and your priorities. But once you're independent I reccommend you have at least 6 months worth of expenses (rent, bills, food etc) saved in case of loss of income or an unexpected large cost.
I don't mean specifically me, I mean people in general of that age :smile:
Reply 5
You should have savings (to cover infrequent or unexpected spending) AND a pension.

Off the top of my head I'd say a monthly pension contribution of 10% income is a good idea.

But @Reue will have a better idea.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Off the top of my head I'd say a monthly pension contribution of 10% income is a good idea.

But @Reue will have a better idea.

The standard advice is to contribute half your starting age as a %. So if you start when you're 22 then contribute at least 11%. This includes employer contributions.
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
The standard advice is to contribute half your starting age as a %. So if you start when you're 22 then contribute at least 11%. This includes employer contributions.

Really? Wow that's quite high... but doable with employer-matched contributions I guess.

Do you have a link for that guidance?
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Really? Wow that's quite high... but doable with employer-matched contributions I guess.

Do you have a link for that guidance?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/discount-pensions#howmuchshould

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/howmoneyworks/article-3177112/How-money-need-save-pension.html
Reply 9
Original post by Marshmallow9999
averages and estimates?

18: £0
25: £10,000
35: £100,000
£67431158865321368899999.09
Good luck!
Reply 11
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
I bet 95%+ of people don't save anything like as much as that... :frown:

Also, put it in an Investment ISA or a pension?

I expect most dont.

And both.
18- won't be much maybe lower five figures if you committed but more likely to be a few grand or less
25-about £50,000 would be avarage in my field if you still have a smallish car and are planning to get on the
35- if it under a million pounds just get out
Reply 14
averages and estimates?

Based on average UK salary of c.27k, would say good amounts would be:

18: 0 (not expected to have anything by then)
25: 10k
35: c.40k

Note, the average age in the UK is 40 years, and the average wealth excluding home equity is 43k
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesthehustler
18- won't be much maybe lower five figures if you committed but more likely to be a few grand or less
25-about £50,000 would be avarage in my field if you still have a smallish car and are planning to get on the
35- if it under a million pounds just get out

How can you have a million by 35?
Finish Uni at 21, then get a grad job, like 25-30k, yeah there'd be promotions but it'd be like 500k max by 35
How can you have a million by 35?
Finish Uni at 21, then get a grad job, like 25-30k, yeah there'd be promotions but it'd be like 500k max by 35

oh you mean a job in the world of diamonds a single deal can be a new ferrari sort of figure in profit on top of the everyday £2-3000 turnover
like say the piece i am eyeing up itr a 31ct stone and is worth a quarter million bucks and is only selling for $60k
(edited 8 years ago)
how did you get 60k? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
18: £0
25: £10,000
35: £100,000

do you mean like that much in the bank? or that much including what you've paid off on your mortgage and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
do you mean like that much in the bank? or that much including what you've paid off on your mortgage and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd include house equity and pension with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending