The Student Room Group

An Inspector calls help

:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Think about Eric as a bit of a misfit. He is "not quite at ease, half shy, half assertive." He is weak-willed and looks for an easy way out of his troubles . He sees his father as "not the kind of father a chap would go to when he's in trouble." Notice how he doesn't share his father's "hard-headed" attitude to business and to his employer. Notice also how the unpleasant side of his character is brought out when he drinks. He insists on going home with the girl, but cannot remember what had happened that first time. He makes the girl pregnant and steals money from his fathers firm. When the girl suspects he has stolen the money she refuses to take any more, and also refuses to marry him. Like Sheila, Eric believes that their experiences at the hands of the Inspector should make the improve their behaviour.
Original post by mariam687
Think about Eric as a bit of a misfit. He is "not quite at ease, half shy, half assertive." He is weak-willed and looks for an easy way out of his troubles . He sees his father as "not the kind of father a chap would go to when he's in trouble." Notice how he doesn't share his father's "hard-headed" attitude to business and to his employer. Notice also how the unpleasant side of his character is brought out when he drinks. He insists on going home with the girl, but cannot remember what had happened that first time. He makes the girl pregnant and steals money from his fathers firm. When the girl suspects he has stolen the money she refuses to take any more, and also refuses to marry him. Like Sheila, Eric believes that their experiences at the hands of the Inspector should make the improve their behaviour.

Thank you! :smile:. What grade would you say my analysis was?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Your analysis is of a high grade as you have used embedded quotes to describe the character of Eric which gains you extra marks :smile:
Original post by cezzzy1975
Your analysis is of a high grade as you have used embedded quotes to describe the character of Eric which gains you extra marks :smile:

Thank you, I'd really like an A in Literature but Eric is such an annoying character to analyse( like Gerald)
Thank you, I'd really like an A in Literature but Eric is such an annoying character to analyse( like Gerald)

If its any help. What you've got to remember is J.B Preistly is trying to give hope to the younger generation to change. He intentionally makes Mr Birling look stupid by saying that the Titanic will never sink and there will never be a war instantly making the reader/audience think of him as a 'stupid old man' and they slowly begin to hate him and Mrs Birling because of how they act.
Where as Eric and Sheila both know they've done wrong and will admit it. Eric goes to the extreme of stealing around £50 from his fathers company in order to help this girl. He regrets what he's done and admits he was that drunk that he didn't know what he was doing. He ultimately forced her. But doesn't seperate the class system of that era. He did have some feelings for her. When it really hits him that her and his child are both dead he and Sheila try to make the others understand that they've all played a part in her death.
Do you also need help on Gerald as I understand him. I'm struggling with Mr Birling do you have any ideas?
If its any help. What you've got to remember is J.B Preistly is trying to give hope to the younger generation to change. He intentionally makes Mr Birling look stupid by saying that the Titanic will never sink and there will never be a war instantly making the reader/audience think of him as a 'stupid old man' and they slowly begin to hate him and Mrs Birling because of how they act.
Where as Eric and Sheila both know they've done wrong and will admit it. Eric goes to the extreme of stealing around £50 from his fathers company in order to help this girl. He regrets what he's done and admits he was that drunk that he didn't know what he was doing. He ultimately forced her. But doesn't seperate the class system of that era. He did have some feelings for her. When it really hits him that her and his child are both dead he and Sheila try to make the others understand that they've all played a part in her death.
Do you also need help on Gerald as I understand him. I'm struggling with Mr Birling do you have any ideas?

Pm me I have bucket loads on Mr birling and I would like help on Gerald please :smile: he's worse than Eric! I need to read the play I think, haven't read it since year 10 so maybe that's why I'm struggling so much
Pm me I have bucket loads on Mr birling and I would like help on Gerald please :smile: he's worse than Eric! I need to read the play I think, haven't read it since year 10 so maybe that's why I'm struggling so much

It wont let me pm you as it says you've exceeded your limit :smile:
Have you tried sites like Cliff Notes and Sparknotes - I mentioned them on my blog http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
It wont let me pm you as it says you've exceeded your limit :smile:

Try now

Yours is not that bad, it is a pretty hight grade, but you could use more quotes to back up your judgments :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest