The Student Room Group

Feminisnts suddenly decide to boycott Starbucks for "sexism"

In Saudi Arabia, women are executed regularly for being a victim of rape, apostasy, blasphemy, sex outside of marriage, false prophecy and all sorts of non-crimes.

They have stones thrown at them until they die.

As soon as a coffee shop bans women, feminists go mental. (It's not even Starbucks making this rule, it's the Saudi authorities).

Priorities.

I hope they are aware that their online rants about Starbucks aren't going to make the Saudi government change. This isn't a Starbucks rule.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/feminist-activists-are-boycotting-starbucks-over-this-sign-at-a-coffee-shop-in-saudi-arabia--byxPnnpMGAl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AlwaysWatching
X

We have our feminists too. :pierre:
Original post by Josb
We have our feminists too. :pierre:

Hooray!
Welcome to the world of third-wave feminism - screw equality, let's cherry-pick the things that annoy first-world white girls and turn them into a Twitter fight until their self-serving ("empowering") needs are fulfilled.

But in all seriousness, this is pathetic. It's quite obvious who's at fault here, and it's not Starbucks for ****'s sake. It's the government that imposed the law in the first place. Anyone who proudly labels themselves a "feminist" should be competent enough to be against the source of the sexism, not the victim of it (a chain such as Starbucks).

Then again, the feminist movement is clearly growing out-of-date these days. I'll be happy when it dies out - it's sad how today's feminists care more about 'rape culture' and empowering vagina bags more than situations in countries such as Saudi Arabia and ACTUAL ignorance of sexual assault in several regions of Brazil and Africa. As a female myself, I can easily tell you that feminism is simply completely out of touch with what equality really means. Egalitarianism - or equalism, in other words - is the only movement out there that cares about every genders' problems without centralising it around one gender (feminism bases men's rights on women's problems, for example).
Reply 4
Original post by kamitersen

Then again, the feminist movement is clearly growing out-of-date these days. I'll be happy when it dies out - it's sad how today's feminists care more about 'rape culture' and empowering vagina bags more than situations in countries such as Saudi Arabia and ACTUAL ignorance of sexual assault in several regions of Brazil and Africa. As a female myself, I can easily tell you that feminism is simply completely out of touch with what equality really means. Egalitarianism - or equalism, in other words - is the only movement out there that cares about every genders' problems without centralising it around one gender (feminism bases men's rights on women's problems, for example).

Well 1st world feminists use a lot of what is happening in 3rd world countries as an excuse to b*tch about their problems but we all know feminism in developed countries is not needed at all. The movement is only needed in societies where women are still oppressed, not in societies where women have the same opportunities as men...lmao
Reply 5
Original post by kamitersen

Then again, the feminist movement is clearly growing out-of-date these days. I'll be happy when it dies out - it's sad how today's feminists care more about 'rape culture' and empowering vagina bags more than situations in countries such as Saudi Arabia and ACTUAL ignorance of sexual assault in several regions of Brazil and Africa.

"I don’t own any designer purses, but if I did, I’d get this one. I like the idea of shoving a vagina, in all its feminist glory, in the face of the public without it actually being my own personal vagina. I'm itching to experience the feeling of carrying around the pussy pouch. I count this as fair warning if I lose all sense of financial reason and a $350 charge shows up on the credit card statement. Of course, I'd be excitedly Instagramming my new purchase from the safety of my bedroom, as it would take me the week-long equivalent of my 10-minute Google pause to leave the house."

OMG :lol:
If I wanted to write a feminist troll post, I wouldn't be able to make a better one.
Original post by GUMI
Well 1st world feminists use a lot of what is happening in 3rd world countries as an excuse to b*tch about their problems but we all know feminism in developed countries is not needed at all. The movement is only needed in societies where women are still oppressed, not in societies where women have the same opportunities as men...lmao

You couldn't have put what I was trying to convey any better, sir/madam.
Original post by Josb
"I don’t own any designer purses, but if I did, I’d get this one. I like the idea of shoving a vagina, in all its feminist glory, in the face of the public without it actually being my own personal vagina. I'm itching to experience the feeling of carrying around the pussy pouch. I count this as fair warning if I lose all sense of financial reason and a $350 charge shows up on the credit card statement. Of course, I'd be excitedly Instagramming my new purchase from the safety of my bedroom, as it would take me the week-long equivalent of my 10-minute Google pause to leave the house."

OMG :lol:
If I wanted to write a feminist troll post, I wouldn't be able to make a better one.

:top2:
Reply 8
how come I hadn't heard this thoughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

non reprisennttaatiiivveeee

tthiiiss iisss eexxhhaauusstttiiinnggggg
It just shows you how self serving and selfish western radical feminism is. They only look to advocate for frivolous things such as 'free the nipple' and 'slut walks' meanwhile their fellow female counterparts in other countries are being sold into sex slavery. Some of them couldn't give a **** and they call right wingers racist :rolleyes:

What ever happened to the genuine crusaders for women's rights like Malala?
I bet they're not angry with the Saudi "government" because that would be "racist" or "culturally insensitive", so they're aiming it at the corporation who makes coffee too expensive for them :wink:
I boycott Starbucks out of support for independent retailers and because of their tax avoidance.
Feminism is needed.

Feminist just want equality for all- whats wrong with that miscoboy?
I boycott Starbucks because their products are not fit for human consumption.

As for this boycott, as misplaced as it is, it seems to have brought more attention to the state of Saudi Arabian society than our spineless Conservative government (not that Labour were any better). Who has no qualms with the mistreatment of women or human rights abuses as long as the arms contracts keep coming and we can call them allies.
Hahahahahahahahaha.

And they wonder why people don't take them seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greatguy177
Feminism is needed.

Feminist just want equality for all- whats wrong with that miscoboy?

What's wrong?

Feminism is hardly doing any good for men.

Thanks to sleepysnooze, I shall remind you of some issues which might be more important than bikini models, air conditioning and barbie dolls.

women have a lower retirement age,
women get more parental leave time,
women get higher medical and mental care spent on them,
women get more domestic violence resources even though statistics show that domestic violence isn't a gendered issue, 53% if the victims, are men.
Women go to jail 5% of the time that men do for the same crimes,
women usually always get custody of children regardless of the circumstances,
women can rape a man without the law recognising it,
women can be on gender quotas but men can't be,
women can legally force a man into child support payments regardless of a withdrawal of consent but men can't towards women,
women can beat a man up but a man can barely even get the allowance of self-defence against a woman,
women (girls) have the right to full genital integrity but boys don't,
men outnumber women regarding suicides by a substantial degree and men are injured/die on the job to the same or an even worse extent.

dont talk rubbish.
what rights do women not have in comparison? they don't have the right to show their boobs in public? oh how oppressed you women are compared to men. Women don't have the right to go into a trench and shoot terrorists/enemy soldiers? oh christ, what a patriarchy!
Other than these two, which are insignificant, NAME ONE right that women don't have compared to men. ONE.
you feminists really have no clue, do you? you don't even know what you want. if you want equality, then you'll get less rights (because you have more than men at the moment!)

And on the pay gap, it's a pay gap. Not a wage gap.It'segal to solve it, I'm afraid. This is because women are paid equal to or more than men for the same job.

So why then, do they get paid less?
.They work 37.5 hours compared to 42 for men. (almost 11% less work)
.They take more holiday than men, reducing experience. (Not including maternity leave)
.They do not take risks like men, women are as successful as men in getting promoted, if they ask, but they aren't.

So is the pay gap a problem? No, it's just that women don't have the time to work as hard as men do.

Will feminism solve this? No.
Original post by balanced
X

Hello! Just wondering where you got the domestic abuse statistic from? Interested to look into this more.

Thanks!
Original post by Tank Girl
Hello! Just wondering where you got the domestic abuse statistic from? Interested to look into this more.

Thanks!

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_executive_summary-a.pdf

Found it from here, http://www.batteredmen.com/NISVS.htm
Reply 18
Original post by balanced

women get more domestic violence resources even though statistics show that domestic violence isn't a gendered issue, 53% if the victims, are men.

Check the source, they've completely misrepresented that statistic as fas as I can tell:

Original post by StrawbAri
What ever happened to the genuine crusaders for women's rights like Malala?

Malala is still around - she was campaigning for education for Syrians, last I heard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending