The Student Room Group

AMA - Vegan, bisexual, feminist, 16 y/o girl

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
do you prefer men or women also do you want to meet a guy or woman to settle down with when you are older?

Honestly, when I look at my future I see myself settling down with a man. I don't know whether that's just what I've been 'taught' to envisage, or if that's what I truly want. I think it would be more convenient to settle down with a man, from the having children point of view. But if I found a woman I truly loved I'd settle down with her just as happily. I wouldn't say I preferred one sex to the other, I like qualities of each of them and I think it all just depends on who I meet.
Original post by thermometer
Damn it OP, I really want to know who you are because this thread caught my eye for the sole reason that I am exactly all those things too and it's quite rare for me too meet another one. I was surprised when I read the title :biggrin: I'm also a little annoyed at the number of people here who are so strongly against veganism and feminism, but I suppose that's what you get for making a thread like this!

As everybody keeps saying, go to tumblr!! There's many of us out there.:h:
But yeah, I sort of expected a bit of backlash, but let's be honest that was the reason I made this thread! It's quite amusing to see people getting all frustrated and defensive of their life choices.
OP, wanna bang?:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) fair enough then
2) that's *kinda* short, hmm
3) so that's a "yes" in terms of me asking (basically) "do you have pubes"
4) wheeeeeyyyyyyyy

bonus question: why don't feminists talk about the refugee rape crisis and forget about the non-existent western "rape culture"? if you guys aren't going to talk about it, you have no right to talk about non-refugee rapes. these are real rapes, not those western "oh my god he touched me without my consent" cases.

That isn't necessarily a yes. When I get them waxed, I don't have pubes. I'm just not a fan of shaving because I like to keep my skin non-irritated.
And whey, yes, a product of milk, something else I can't eat!:h:

All rape is rape, it exists everywhere, including in the Western world. Intimate touching without consent is sexual harassment. Rape is intercourse without consent. There is a difference, and people are aware of it. I don't know where you're looking, but we do discuss the refugee rape crisis, as well as all other kinds of rape. Rape is shitty and it's a thing we want to stop, wherever it's happening.
Original post by Andy98
OP, wanna bang?:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. A Green Party member who lives near me. Quite the catch. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Wow. A Green Party member who lives near me. Quite the catch. :smile:

Member? I'm the Leader:wink:

And you live near me? How near??:eek:

Sorry you're literally the first person I've found who's local:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nadile
Consent? Do you have any idea why vegans don't eat eggs and don't drink milk? It's to do with the conditions the animals are kept in, and the amount of male animals that are killed as soon as they are born because they are male and hence can't produce eggs or milk.

Also what I was curious about when asking about the bossy thing, was whether you would let your own insecurities get in the way of your career eg. Not wanting to be called bossy and hence not going towards a managerial position, not doing science because some girls said it's a subject for boys, etc.
And since you mentioned it, what do you think would prevent someone of your gender from progressing into the career you want? What career is it that you're interested in anyway?

Yes, consent was just a kind of summary. The animals don't consent to being put in terrible conditions and have their produce taken away from them. But, as a human who can speak and have rights, the produce would be from a consenting source.

I do have some insecurities about being bossy but I don't know whether that's because of my gender or because of my shyness. I wouldn't shy away from aiming higher though, and if I were interested in science, I would be actively pursuing it.

I'm interested in a career in the film industry, which is very male-dominated. I'd be interested in being a screenwriter and/or director.
Original post by mackemforever
In ten years time 26 year old you will think back to 16 year old you with one thought in mind, "christ I was an annoying little ****".

Hopefully in 10 years time I'll be able to look around at a more vegan and feminist world, and be proud of my 16 year old self, no matter how annoying I may be, for sticking by what I believe in and sharing the cause.
Original post by ReeceM1
I have a question-
What do you think of me? Someone who is NOT a feminist and also someone who is NOT a vegetarian. Am I inferior to you? Would you say I am immoral and that I am a not a decent person?

I don't agree with you not being a feminist really, because I think everyone should identify as one until the day the rights of women are equal to those of men! And I don't really mind you not being a vegetarian or vegan, it's your diet, it's your choice. Obviously in an ideal world I'd want everyone to be vegan, but I'm not going to dictate to someone what they should and shouldn't eat because that's not my concern.
Original post by Andy98
Member? I'm the Leader:wink:

And you live near me? How near??:eek:

Sorry you're literally the first person I've found who's local:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I didn't know Natalie Bennett was on TSR!!!

Let's just say, I watch Look North too. :u:
Wow, I didn't know Natalie Bennett was on TSR!!!

Let's just say, I watch Look North too. :u:

TSR's Leader! Not old enough (knowledgeable) to be part of the RL party.

Oooh, wanna watch Deadpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
TSR's Leader! Not old enough (knowledgeable) to be part of the RL party.

Oooh, wanna watch Deadpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but still, pretty impressive.

As it happens, I am pretty desperate to go and see Deadpool. None of my friends are interested in it. Have you seen it yet?
I don't know, I'm pretty attracted to them both! I like them psychically but I also adore their personalities (or what I have seen of their personalities!).

You like them psychically? Spooky 👻
I know, but still, pretty impressive.

As it happens, I am pretty desperate to go and see Deadpool. None of my friends are interested in it. Have you seen it yet?

No, I want to but no one wants to go with me:frown:

Kill two birds with one stone?:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't agree with you not being a feminist really, because I think everyone should identify as one until the day the rights of women are equal to those of men! And I don't really mind you not being a vegetarian or vegan, it's your diet, it's your choice. Obviously in an ideal world I'd want everyone to be vegan, but I'm not going to dictate to someone what they should and shouldn't eat because that's not my concern.

If I told you I identified as an egalitarian and not a feminist would that be satisfactory?
Original post by Justmoll28
see where im going with this? this whole thread is pointless, actually most AMA threads are.

Why read them then & try and cause arguments?
I love reading these, so ask away!

Do you find that because you're only 16 & a vegan that people try and belittle your life choices e.g the but meat is good for you crap? I find that I hear less from vegans being "BE VEGAN MEAT IS WRONG" and more from "MEAT IS GOOD FOR YOU EAT MEAT" kind of people. Btw OP you seem very down to earth :smile:
Original post by ReeceM1
If I told you I identified as an egalitarian and not a feminist would that be satisfactory?

Egalitarians treat everyone the same, which is fine, when everyone is facing the same problems. This isn't the case with females and other disadvantaged groups.

Feminists realise that women are prejudiced against, and take actions to fix these issues, realising that women actually need to be treated differently to males to help fix this equality gap.

Egalitarianism is an attempt to treat everyone fairly, regardless of the social factors involved, whereas feminism actually tries to bridge the gap and fix the underlining issues.
Original post by _Bright Eyes
Egalitarians treat everyone the same, which is fine, when everyone is facing the same problems. This isn't the case with females and other disadvantaged groups.

Feminists realise that women are prejudiced against, and take actions to fix these issues, realising that women actually need to be treated differently to males to help fix this equality gap.

Egalitarianism is an attempt to treat everyone fairly, regardless of the social factors involved, whereas feminism actually tries to bridge the gap and fix the underlining issues.

Feminists seem to say that men should be feminists too because 'feminism is for everyone and not just for women. It aims to make everyone equal'

Yet what you've just said to me is utter nonsense. Feminists say their aim is to treat everyone equally and fairly regardless of their sex but now you're saying that feminists realise that women need to be treated differently to males to help fix the gap...

So you're saying that effectively to solve the problems men and women need to be treated differently? Isn't that where the 'issues' stemmed from in the first place- being treated differently?
Original post by ReeceM1
Feminists seem to say that men should be feminists too because 'feminism is for everyone and not just for women. It aims to make everyone equal'

Yet what you've just said to me is utter nonsense. Feminists say their aim is to treat everyone equally and fairly regardless of their sex but now you're saying that feminists realise that women need to be treated differently to males to help fix the gap...

So you're saying that effectively to solve the problems men and women need to be treated differently? Isn't that where the 'issues' stemmed from in the first place- being treated differently?

Specific problems need specific solutions. Saying "I'm an egalitarian and all people should be treated equally" is fine and great, but means nothing without identifying which groups are currently not being treated equally to the others and bringing them up to the same level as everybody else. Feminism is an attempt to fix the gap where males are treated better than females, by bringing females up to the same level as males, in the aspects where they are behind.

You can say you're an egalitarian, which in my mind automatically also makes you a feminist, I just don't see why you don't call yourself a feminist if you want equality.. It's similar to saying you're for black-rights, or pro-homosexual rights - championing the cause of the underprivileged gets more directly to the issues we need to solve, while claiming to be an egalitarian is bit broad and disconnected from the actual issues we need to address. It's all a little bit semantic, though.

Everyone should be given the same opportunities and not discriminated against, yes, this would be an ideal world. But to get to this world, we currently need to focus our attention on helping those that are being discriminated against the most. And groups in this situation need extra help to get over the hurdles society has placed on them. That's where movements like feminism are helpful. An analogy would be slavery of black people - an egalitarian view here might try to treat the black slaves as good as their masters are being treated, give them good food, warm beds, and so on, which is all very good, but it takes a shift in perspective to realise that they should not be slaves in the first place, and pro-black rights movements helped with this.

Quick Reply

Latest