The Student Room Group

There are too many people on benefits

We need to cut spending. This is the only way for our economy to grow and finally compete with countries like America and China.

Scroll to see replies

More money is lost through tax evasion than spent on benefits.
Reply 2
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
More money is lost through tax evasion than spent on benefits.

that money isn't 'lost'

it goes to jobs, wages, capital investment. we should be lowering taxes and allowing private enterprise to be even more successful. this is the only way to create wealth and will boost the standard of living across the entire country
Original post by Bourdain
that money isn't 'lost'

it goes to jobs, wages, capital investment. we should be lowering taxes and allowing private enterprise to be even more successful. this is the only way to create wealth and will boost the standard of living across the entire country

Or caymen island

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
i agree, it should be harder for people to get it or they should be encouraged more to find a job. fair enough some people really need benefits but people like my parents work hard and pay tax for people who spend the money on fags and beer.
that money isn't 'lost'

And benefit money goes back into the economy via revenue for various businesses.
We need to cut spending. This is the only way for our economy to grow and finally compete with countries like America and China.

I would say the primary focus of a Government is to look after it's people, not impress the rulers of others.

I agree that there are too many people on benefits, but the answer is not to cut.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology
And benefit money goes back into the economy via revenue for various businesses.

Not really, most of it just goes into the pension pots of already rich private landlords.

Nah, I am very happy to have so many "friends with benefits...."

:colone:

Have you got an statistics or figures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

America has a workforce of 360million, China 1.4billion. UK 60million. So yeah in what way should we be competing with these 2 countries and why do you think shaving a small percentage off of our already relatively small (when compared to neighbouring countries) welfare budget would make any tangible difference to your goal? Also we already pretty much match and exceed both of these countries in gross income per capita which would be my metric of choice when comparing such different nations.

Just because you read a tory infographic doesnt mean you have the slightest grasp of macroeconomics.
Reply 10
Estimated cost of benefit fraud: £1.2 billion
Estimated cost of tax evasion: £20 billion, at least

http://www.cas.org.uk/features/myth-busting-real-figures-benefit-fraud

I know which one if the problem and we need to worry about: the rich, not the poor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mkap
i agree, it should be harder for people to get it or they should be encouraged more to find a job. fair enough some people really need benefits but people like my parents work hard and pay tax for people who spend the money on fags and beer.

We don't have enough jobs in the economy to accommodate everyone in need of a job, especially after the recession. Believe me, people are encouraged to find jobs. They are encouraged by having sanctions placed on their benefits after not meeting the most specific of criteria. We pay more for MPs to have a second home than we pay to a person on benefits. My mum was driven to tears multiple times when she was signing on for Jobseekers Allowance at the Job Centre. I'm now on benefits while I recover from an illness that has taken almost all of my life away from me. Neither my mum or I smoke or drink. The most out there thing I spend my benefit money on is books in order to keep up with my academic abilities while I'm unable to work or attend university.

Most people on benefits who do smoke or drink have been driven to abusing substances because of the state of their lives. We need to do more to make sure work is available for people in this country - bring manufacturing back, so people with all skill sets have an opportunity to work (my mum was a very good sewing machinist when she was younger, working in factories to make sure people had clothes to stand up in - it was an important industry that gave her a sense of purpose and it has been taken away from this country now, because it's cheaper to do elsewhere). When businesses and governments and society start to value trades again instead of always valuing what is cheapest then I think the jobs available here will rise and as a result people's mental and physical health will be better.
Original post by aear
estimated cost of benefit fraud: £1.2 billion
estimated cost of tax evasion: £20 billion, at least

http://www.cas.org.uk/features/myth-busting-real-figures-benefit-fraud

i know which one if the problem and we need to worry about: The rich, not the poor.

Thank you.
that money isn't 'lost'

It is lost because rich people don't pay the tax they should so that they don't have to give it back to their country. They'd rather get offshore accounts so they don't have to pay tax.
Original post by bethwalker85
It is lost because rich people don't pay the tax they should so that they don't have to give it back to their country. They'd rather get offshore accounts so they don't have to pay tax.

Good, when I have the chance I'll be doing the same.

If I'm rich enough to want to open an off-shore account, I'm not particularly interested in funding schools or NHS when my children will get private education and private healthcare.

I'd prefer a "pay as you go " approach to calling police, fire brigade etc - what's the harm in paying for what you use?

I find tax like everyone going to a restaurant with friends, and everyone ordering significantly different priced meals, and then at the end "splitting the bill equally" ... and you end up paying for your friend's 5 glasses of wine. It's BS.
Original post by stargirl63
Good, when I have the chance I'll be doing the same.

If I'm rich enough to want to open an off-shore account, I'm not particularly interested in funding schools or NHS when my children will get private education and private healthcare.

I'd prefer a "pay as you go " approach to calling police, fire brigade etc - what's the harm in paying for what you use?

I find tax like everyone going to a restaurant with friends, and everyone ordering significantly different priced meals, and then at the end "splitting the bill equally" ... and you end up paying for your friend's 5 glasses of wine. It's BS.

The harm is that the way society and the economy is set up as far as the forseeable future is concerned there will always be inequality. People cannot afford to pay for what they use, through no fault of their own. There are all kinds of reasons why people are poor, or poorer than average, from illness to redundancy to incredibly unfortunate life circumstances. I hope you never find yourself in a position where you are reliant on others. No one chooses to struggle, we would all love to have well paid jobs and access to everything we need. When the fortunate don't see their own fortune as being down to luck (mostly - some people work extremely hard and get bad luck and lose everything) it really pisses me off. If we are lucky enough to have excess money why shouldn't we help to redistribute wealth through taxes?
Reply 16
Like America? Most powerful country still gets beat in HDI ranking, high levels of inequality and a political climate laughed at all over Europe for electing worlds dumbest leaders? Or China which abuses its citizens rights, has high levels of corruption, inequality and environment damage, not quite as dumb as Americans but just as intolerant if not more so.

No thank you
x

*There are to many people on benefits who don't need benefits! :smile:
Original post by JohnGreek
Love reading about a cheeky bit of trickle-down economics in the morning :unimpressed:

Who was it that first espoused trickle down theory?
Original post by caravaggio2
Who was it that first espoused trickle down theory?

It supposedly comes from Milton Friedman who is the wet dream of the current crop of world leaders. But they ignore a lot of what he said. The guy supported a negative income tax (you give money to people who do not earn enough to pay tax).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending