The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School at Cambridge: Q&A 17/02/2016-19/02/2016

Hi everyone, my name is Mark Walmsley and I'm responsible for running the Sutton Trust Summer Schools here at Cambridge. I currently work for the Cambridge Admissions Office, but was also a student here studying History at Clare College.

I've set up this thread to answer any questions you may have about the Summer Schools - from how to apply to what kinds of things you'll be doing if your application is successful.

I'll be responding to comments during the day from 9:00am tomorrow (17 February) until 5pm on Friday (19 February). In the meantime, please check out our website- www.cam.ac.uk/stss - and feel free to post any questions below.

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, the thread is now open and I'll be answering questions all day until 5pm. Feel free to reply below if you want to know anything about the scheme.

Mark
Reply 2
Original post by University of Cambridge
Hi everyone, the thread is now open and I'll be answering questions all day until 5pm. Feel free to reply below if you want to know anything about the scheme.

Mark

Could you explain, in detail, what is involved in applying?
I've been getting different explanations from different people and I'm not sure if there's a small personal statement involved or something. If you could tell me what I will need to do to apply that'd be great!
Thank you.
Original post by Sketch26
Could you explain, in detail, what is involved in applying?

Of course :smile: The application process is really simple. There isn't a personal statement and the whole process only takes about fifteen minutes. The Sutton Trust have outlined the details that you'll need to have to hand when you apply. These are mostly details about your GCSE grades, what you're taking at A Level (or equivalent), as well as some personal information about you. The only thing that you might not already have is the details (name and email) of a teacher who can support your application. Once you're ready, just go to the online application form and fill it in. Best of luck!

Mark
Reply 4
This is mainly directed towards the summer schools in general, but why do you not ask for AS predicted grades or mock grades?

You could be getting people who got 9A*s at GCSE and are on track to get BBCC, yet declining someone who got 6As and are on track to get AAAB. How is that fair?

I got 1A* and 5As at GCSE (top 10% in my year), with the rest being B grades. However I'm on track currently to get around AAAB/AABB. What would my chances be?
Original post by jamestg
This is mainly directed towards the summer schools in general, but why do you not ask for AS predicted grades or mock grades?

Thanks for your question Jamestg. The reason we don't ask for predicted grades is because the selection process for the Summer Schools is not based primarily on academic ability. Instead, we aim to use the Summer Schools to promote higher education to students who may not have had the same levels of support at home or at school as others. This is why we put more emphasis on personal details about you and your educational background. Full details about our selection criteria are laid out on our website here and if you match any of the criteria listed then I'd strongly encourage you to apply :smile:

I'd also add that our selection process is very different to that used by Admissions Tutors and there is no connection between whether or not you get a place on our scheme and whether you'd be successful in applying to the University in October.

Mark
Reply 6
Hi everyone, my name is Mark Walmsley and I'm responsible for running the Sutton Trust Summer Schools here at Cambridge. I currently work for the Cambridge Admissions Office, but was also a student here studying History at Clare College.

I've set up this thread to answer any questions you may have about the Summer Schools - from how to apply to what kinds of things you'll be doing if your application is successful.

I'll be responding to comments during the day from 9:00am tomorrow (17 February) until 5pm on Friday (19 February). In the meantime, please check out our website- www.cam.ac.uk/stss - and feel free to post any questions below.

Im currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Technology and Design at AS and will be dropping T&D after AS to pick up Further Maths AS and A2 in one year. Do I put Further Maths down as AS/A-level or list in the 'other qualifications' section?

Hi Mark,

Do you know which colleges the courses will be at? Or do we get to choose if we're successful?

Also when are application outcomes decided? I'm so impatient :redface:
Original post by ozmo19
Im currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Technology and Design at AS and will be dropping T&D after AS to pick up Further Maths AS and A2 in one year. Do I put Further Maths down as AS/A-level or list in the 'other qualifications' section?

Hi ozmo19. For our selection purposes we are primarily interested in what you will have already studied (so we know that you can handle the academic content of the course, which is quite high for a Summer School). It might be of interest to know your plans for year 13, so I'd advise you to put Further Maths down as an other qualification, but only put down AS Levels that you are currently taking.

Mark
Original post by Steliata
Do you know which colleges the courses will be at? Or do we get to choose if we're successful?

Hi Steliata. It depends what course you are on, but it will be either Christ's, Queens', Selwyn, St Catherine's, or St John's. These will be assigned to you based on your week and course, but there will be a chance during the week to tour around some of the other Colleges.

Also when are application outcomes decided? I'm so impatient :redface:

We have a large number of applications to process after the 11 March deadline, so I'm afraid it will take us a little while to get a decision back to you. You'll definitely hear from us by 6 May, so please make sure that the email you use on your application is one that you check regularly.

Mark
Hi Steliata. It depends what course you are on, but it will be either Christ's, Queens', Selwyn, St Catherine's, or St John's. These will be assigned to you based on your week and course, but there will be a chance during the week to tour around some of the other Colleges.

We have a large number of applications to process after the 11 March deadline, so I'm afraid it will take us a little while to get a decision back to you. You'll definitely hear from us by 6 May, so please make sure that the email you use on your application is one that you check regularly.

Mark

Ah, that's interesting. Do you know which college is assigned to Asian and Middle Eastern Studies? I think it's in late August.

Hi Mark,
I'd just like to ask, has it been decided which college the economics course will be held at? :smile:
Original post by Steliata
Ah, that's interesting. Do you know which college is assigned to Asian and Middle Eastern Studies? I think it's in late August.

Hi Steliata, that'll be Selwyn or Queens' depending on the final numbers for each subject that week :smile:

Mark
Original post by aish98xo
Hi Mark,
I'd just like to ask, has it been decided which college the economics course will be held at? :smile:

Hi aish98xo, that'll be St John's or Christ's - again, it'll depend on the final numbers once the application deadline has passed.

Mark
Hi Mark, do you know how many of the eligibility criteria successful applicants generally have? Also, does a strong academic profile help in being successful, or do you just need to get the grades required?
Original post by carly1999
Hi Mark, do you know how many of the eligibility criteria successful applicants generally have? Also, does a strong academic profile help in being successful, or do you just need to get the grades required?

Hi Carly1999, the average participant on the Summer School met more than two of the selection criteria. This is just an average and it does vary by subject. For instance, the average number of criteria met by students in heavily oversubscribed subjects (such as medicine, engineering, and law) will normally be higher than that for smaller subjects (Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic, Education, and Archaeology).

A strong academic profile is much less important for our Summer Schools (although this is taken into account for some of the more oversubscribed subjects), but may play a bigger role in the decisions of other Sutton Trust partner Universities. The Sutton Trust now has a handy chart where you can see which Universities offer a Summer School in your subject. I'd advise anyone thinking about applying for the Summer Schools (you can only apply for one) to check out what is being offered across all the partner Universities and decide which you think is the best option for you.

The application process is really quick, so there is absolutely nothing to lose by filling it in. Even if you aren't able to get on the Summer School, it may be that there are other opportunities, such as Experience Cambridge that we can offer to you if you apply.

Mark
Hi Carly1999, the average participant on the Summer School met more than two of the selection criteria. This is just an average and it does vary by subject. For instance, the average number of criteria met by students in heavily oversubscribed subjects (such as medicine, engineering, and law) will normally be higher than that for smaller subjects (Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic, Education, and Archaeology).

A strong academic profile is much less important for our Summer Schools (although this is taken into account for some of the more oversubscribed subjects), but may play a bigger role in the decisions of other Sutton Trust partner Universities. The Sutton Trust now has a handy chart where you can see which Universities offer a Summer School in your subject. I'd advise anyone thinking about applying for the Summer Schools (you can only apply for one) to check out what is being offered across all the partner Universities and decide which you think is the best option for you.

The application process is really quick, so there is absolutely nothing to lose by filling it in. Even if you aren't able to get on the Summer School, it may be that there are other opportunities, such as Experience Cambridge that we can offer to you if you apply.

Mark

Thank you for the quick reply! Are any of the selection criteria taken into account more than others, and how popular is the maths course generally?
Thank you for the quick reply! Are any of the selection criteria taken into account more than others, and how popular is the maths course generally?

You're very welcome :smile: We rank the selection criteria in order of importance on our website. I've copied the relevant passage below:

Cambridge Website
As part of our continuing commitment to widening participation in higher education, first priority will be given to students who are (or have been) looked after, accommodated, or in care. We then select students according to the following criteria (in order of importance):

Whether they come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education (according to POLAR3)

Whether they have been eligible for free school meals and/or Pupil Premium and/or EMA/16-19 bursary during secondary school

Whether they attend schools or colleges with a low overall A-Level, Higher/Advanced Higher (or equivalent) point score

Whether they will be the first generation in their family to attend university

In 2015, the majority of our 565 summer school participants met two or more of these criteria.

Maths is a competitive strand, but this year we have almost doubled the number of available places, so it is well worth applying if you meet one or more of these criteria.

Mark
You're very welcome :smile: We rank the selection criteria in order of importance on our website. I've copied the relevant passage below:

Maths is a competitive strand, but this year we have almost doubled the number of available places, so it is well worth applying if you meet one or more of these criteria.

Mark

Okay thanks for all the information, I think I'll definitely apply then! :smile:
thanks for all the information, I think I'll definitely apply then! :smile:

You're welcome, and that's great :smile:

Mark

Latest

Trending

Trending