The Student Room Group

4 months revision enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
90% of people are doing A levels under the regular exam boards and i can bet OP is doing the same so bringing up random exam lengths that isnt even related to OP shows whos the kid, smh you seem to constantly focus on "higher" up exams when last time i checked did OP ask for that... NO, it doesnt matter if it "set you up" many people will revise more for med law etc when it comes to that point in A level he isnt doing 5h exams, do you not understand comprehension instead of trying to patronize me by calling me a kid. Read OP post he isnt sitting STEP law or med exams hes asking for A level, last time i checked they werent 5h long

I mentioned many exams in life are 3 hours or longer. You said very few were. I pointed out many that are - but you are too young and inexperienced in life (or just plain thick) to realise this.

You were the one who made a false statement that I corrected. I am well aware of what the OP is doing - you are seemingly not aware of the world in general. More likely due to being just a few months either side of puberty.
Original post by old_maths_guy
I mentioned many exams in life are 3 hours or longer. You said very few were. I pointed out many that are - but you are too young and inexperienced in life (or just plain thick) to realise this.

You were the one who made a false statement that I corrected. I am well aware of what the OP is doing - you are seemingly not aware of the world in general. More likely due to being just a few months either side of puberty.

*sigh how does giving your own example equite to "many" the fact is very few exams are 5h long... If youre aware what OP is doing then clearly youre too thick or moronic to understand he isnt interested in STEP or getting ready for uni exams when he hasnt even started for A levels me being aware or not aware has nothing to do with the question posed. Ffs are you an idiot or are you that stubborn that when someone confronts you about something youre so arrogant you cant see past it. I never said there isnt long exams the point was there was few which is true because majority of exams sat at a level and uni arent 5h.
Original post by Dose of fury
Hello fellow strangers,

I am in a particular predicament. I am extremely behind in all my subjects (maths, economics and chemistry). Some of my units i know virtually nothing. My question is do you think i have enough time to change things around given i have 4 months until my first A2 exam and 3 months until my first AS exam? (retaking 3 as units). I am aiming for 3 A's. Thanks for your inputs! :biggrin:

Going back to your original question!!!! I am in exactly the same predicament. Need to get an A level in Maths (c or above) I work full time (term time only) but am giving it my best shot after work and during the holidays. I think it can be done. Believe in yourself but put the effort in. Use all the online resources that there are.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you should focus on studying rather that contemplating if its enough. Really studying is never enough you just got to do it!
Thinking about it, you can get a A in a A level with around 3 weeks solid work, you have to be very efficient.
Hello fellow strangers,

I am in a particular predicament. I am extremely behind in all my subjects (maths, economics and chemistry). Some of my units i know virtually nothing. My question is do you think i have enough time to change things around given i have 4 months until my first A2 exam and 3 months until my first AS exam? (retaking 3 as units). I am aiming for 3 A's. Thanks for your inputs! :biggrin:

Omg it makes me feel a bit at ease to know that a few other people are in the same boat as me! Lol, sorry. I've started to revise and catch up recently, but it's not going too well. I really need the motivation, any tips? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hayleybobs
Going back to your original question!!!! I am in exactly the same predicament. Need to get an A level in Maths (c or above) I work full time (term time only) but am giving it my best shot after work and during the holidays. I think it can be done. Believe in yourself but put the effort in. Use all the online resources that there are.

That's the spirit! what maths resources are you currently using?
Original post by haadiyav
Omg it makes me feel a bit at ease to know that a few other people are in the same boat as me! Lol, sorry. I've started to revise and catch up recently, but it's not going too well. I really need the motivation, any tips? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the reason i made this thread, we need to share all our tips.The first tip i would recommend is waking up early and getting a large portion of your revision out of the way. Starting in the afternoon/evening really doesn't put you off at a good start.
That's the reason i made this thread, we need to share all our tips.The first tip i would recommend is waking up early and getting a large portion of your revision out of the way. Starting in the afternoon/evening really doesn't put you off at a good start.

Specifically if you can wake up for around 5-6 no later and get revision done till around 8 ish this 2h will be so much better than you revising 4+ h in the afternoon just because this is the optimum at which the brain is working so you remember information better and recall is better try it
Specifically if you can wake up for around 5-6 no later and get revision done till around 8 ish this 2h will be so much better than you revising 4+ h in the afternoon just because this is the optimum at which the brain is working so you remember information better and recall is better try it

You've just gone against what the professionals state. The studies performed in this area state the older you get then the earlier is better - but never to the extreme you mention. And for the typical age on TSR late afternoon/early evening is considered optimal learning time.

Yep, that is true. But, the thing is, I'm doing homeschooling so I literally have no deadlines and no homework assignments, so it's really hard trying to find the motivation within myself to actually get things done. It's frustrating. I try but I'm definitely not trying enough, plus I get distracted quite easily. :confused:
It might sound easy, but when you have no one to push or help you, it really isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kc_chiefs
You've just gone against what the professionals state. The studies performed in this area state the older you get then the earlier is better - but never to the extreme you mention. And for the typical age on TSR late afternoon/early evening is considered optimal learning time.

Nope studies have shown the early times around 6 is when the brain is at its peak and thats when you feel fresh and alert since you just woke up, leaving it till afternoon evening wont be as effective but because by then you will have used you may feel boredom tired etc Im not saying not to revise later on but its been proven in the early morning this is the best time to do most things
That's the spirit! what maths resources are you currently using?

Im using a bit of a concoction! I use exam solutions first, then if I don't get it from that I will then go on to others Mr Hegartys maths or my maths (as my school uses it) I understand most if it but then when I do the exam question it doesn't make sense. This is the last thing that is holding me up. I have done everything else!!

What about you?
Yep, that is true. But, the thing is, I'm doing homeschooling so I literally have no deadlines and no homework assignments, so it's really hard trying to find the motivation within myself to actually get things done. It's frustrating. I try but I'm definitely not trying enough, plus I get distracted quite easily. :confused:
It might sound easy, but when you have no one to push or help you, it really isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly me, teaching myself, the only push is that I have got this far and want it so badly!!
Nope studies have shown the early times around 6 is when the brain is at its peak and thats when you feel fresh and alert since you just woke up, leaving it till afternoon evening wont be as effective but because by then you will have used you may feel boredom tired etc Im not saying not to revise later on but its been proven in the early morning this is the best time to do most things

Im on it, setting my alarm for 6 tomorrow. I will try anything once!
Im using a bit of a concoction! I use exam solutions first, then if I don't get it from that I will then go on to others Mr Hegartys maths or my maths (as my school uses it) I understand most if it but then when I do the exam question it doesn't make sense. This is the last thing that is holding me up. I have done everything else!!

What about you?

basically the same. Hegarty and exams solutions are really good.
That is exactly me, teaching myself, the only push is that I have got this far and want it so badly!!

Really! How are you finding homeschooling and how do you keep yourself motivated? By the way, what subjects are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really! How are you finding homeschooling and how do you keep yourself motivated? By the way, what subjects are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teaching myself at home is ok, Im quite disciplined but Im a mature student (43) just writing my dissertation too. My offer for my PGCE involves getting a Maths A level so that is my main focus at the moment. Im also a mum and work full time, (term time only!)
Teaching myself at home is ok, Im quite disciplined but Im a mature student (43) just writing my dissertation too. My offer for my PGCE involves getting a Maths A level so that is my main focus at the moment. Im also a mum and work full time, (term time only!)

Oh right.. I'm just 19. 😳 I'm currently studying A2 for biology, full A level for english lang. and doing resits for maths and economics AS.
That's amazing though- working, teaching yourself and being a full time mother! Props to you! Good luck with everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by old_maths_guy
When I say 6 hours per day, every day - I mean it.

Not start at 9am do 30 minutes, goof off for 30 minutes, do 40 minutes more then knock off for a three hour lunch/PS4 break - then work another hour in the late afternoon - knock off for tea and then put in a lousy thirty minutes over the evening sandwiched between chatting to your friends or spanking the monkey or whatever. For a grand total of under three hours of interrupted work.

I mean 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm or the equivalent in the evening. Plus put in another 12 - 15 hours spread over the weekend. You do this every single day from now till the exams - and do it on the days between exams for the next set of exams.

Say you do 13 weeks of this. That is some 550 - 600 hours of time. Which is say 200 hours per subject. That is a lot of time if spent in an organised manner. i.e. making good notes - revision from the notes and hundreds of past paper questions.

Do that and as long as you aren't dense you should be minimum A*AA.

But you really have to commit to that level of workload - otherwise you are rolling the dice and/or kidding yourself.

I've listened to your advice-somewhat, i am still suffering from procrastination. How do you deal with doing long periods of revision without getting distracted by the slightest thing?

Quick Reply

Latest