The Student Room Group

Any Advices

I'm sitting for the CIE IGCSE Maths Exams in May. (ONLY SUBJECT) I'm am in year 9, so I am asking for advice in getting an A*.
Reply 1
Original post by xEPicNiceX
I'm sitting for the CIE IGCSE Maths Exams in May. (ONLY SUBJECT) I'm am in year 9, so I am asking for advice in getting an A*.

Year nine?
Are you in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
Year nine?
Are you in the UK?

Nope, I live in south-east asia. I am sitting this early so I that I will not panic too much in Year 11:smile:
Reply 3

Are you self-teaching or learning in school?

First make sure you fully understand all of the topics. Don't ignore anything - you should have enough understanding to be confident that you could explain every topic to a fellow student.

When you think you're done, print off the syllabus and check that you have covered every topic.

Then do every CIE past paper you can find, even the older ones. You'll notice the types of questions repeat every year. Look at mark schemes to see where you could lose marks and read examiners reports on the exams (all available on the CIE website).

If you run out of CIE papers, have a go at the Edexcel IGCSE papers (ignore the topics you haven't covered).

By the way, I used to be a CIE IGCSE teacher in SE Asia so PM me if you have any questions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
Are you self-teaching or learning in school?

First make sure you fully understand all of the topics. Don't ignore anything - you should have enough understanding to be confident that you could explain every topic to a fellow student.

When you think you're done, print off the syllabus and check that you have covered every topic.

Then do every CIE past paper you can find, even the older ones. You'll notice the types of questions repeat every year. Look at mark schemes to see where you could lose marks and read examiners reports on the exams (all available on the CIE website).

If you run out of CIE papers, have a go at the Edexcel IGCSE papers (ignore the topics you haven't covered).

By the way, I used to be a CIE IGCSE teacher in SE Asia so PM me if you have any questions :smile:

I self-taught, learn at school and I have a private tutor. Thanks for the advices!:smile:
for maths, you can only revise with one way
PRACTICE
PASTPAPERS
A/A*
Reply 6
Umm... A bit off-topic. How to solve this? I looked at the mark schemes and my teacher was no help either. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Doc1.docx
Reply 7
Umm... A bit off-topic. How to solve this? I looked at the mark schemes and my teacher was no help either. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Doc1.docx

Look a the two right-angled triangles on the right, both are outside the trapezium.

One has hypotenuse BE and the other has hypotenuse BC. These two triangles are similar.

The height of the big triangle is 40 and the height of the small one is h.

Does that help? If not, post all your working / ideas.
Reply 8
Original post by notnek
Look a the two right-angled triangles on the right, both are outside the trapezium.

One has hypotenuse BE and the other has hypotenuse BC. These two triangles are similar.

The height of the big triangle is 40 and the height of the small one is h.

Does that help? If not, post all your working / ideas.

Thank you so much sir! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest