The Student Room Group

Non-Muslim wearing a hijab

Hi guys,
I'm an atheist but a group of Muslim girls have set up the hijabi challenge at my university, which involves non Muslims wearing a hijabi and writing down how they feel while wearing it. I did it and I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

So my question is: would it be offensive if I wore one occasionally, as I'm not a Muslim? Or would it be seen as solidarity and acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by georgiaswift
Hi guys,
I'm an atheist but a group of Muslim girls have set up the hijabi challenge at my university, which involves non Muslims wearing a hijabi and writing down how they feel while wearing it. I did it and I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

So my question is: would it be offensive if I wore one occasionally, as I'm not a Muslim? Or would it be seen as solidarity and acceptable?

It's an item of clothing, do what you want with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Why not? Hijabi's are so sexy yum
Hi guys,

No it wouldn't be offensive at all.
Definitely not offensive

inb4 the kiddies whinging about muslim culture taking over Britain join us :giggle:
I wonder what would happen if someone set up a 'dress like a Christian' challenge and invited Muslims to have their photo taken wearing a cross/leggings/western clothing...
Original post by Duncan2012
I wonder what would happen if someone set up a 'dress like a Christian' challenge and invited Muslims to have their photo taken wearing a cross/leggings/western clothing...

western clothing is the norm. hijabis are rare delicacies. it makes sense that people want to try it out.
You can wear what you want girl...

If you're ok with people assuming you're muslim when they see you then go for it :h:
Wear what you want really
there will probably always be one person calling you out for 'cultural appropriation' or some bs but just go for it
(idk though since i'm not muslim)
Not offensive at all, people might ask if you're Muslim but that's about it lol
Reply 11
no i'm muslim and i think it's pretty cool actually :3
it's a piece of clothing
you do you gurl :wink:
Reply 12
It's not offensive, it is hardcore attention seeking however.

'I once wore Hijab, I noe exactly how it feelz 2 b persecuted, gib me #1 prize in the opreshun Olympics :cry2:' ~ every Tumblrina ever
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

Surely thats the complete opposite effect they're aiming for?
Wear what you want, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware that people will assume you're a Muslim, if that's not an issue then go for it.
Reply 15
Original post by Reue

Exactly.

I don't care if people wear the Hijab or not provided it was their choice (no interferance from daddy, big bro or the Haram police), but a bunch of White girls who have no connection to Islam parading around in ethnocultural or religious clothing, to look pretty/get attention under the guise of walking in the shoes of an oppressed minority is beyond pathetic.
Original post by Reue

Hijab is to make you appear and act more modest,doesn't mean it makes you look uglier. I guess if it makes you prettier as in more attractive then idk lol, perhaps it depends how you wear it or how pretty ur face is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lehoe
It's not offensive, it is hardcore attention seeking however.

'I once wore Hijab, I noe exactly how it feelz 2 b persecuted, gib me #1 prize in the opreshun Olympics :cry2:' ~ every Tumblrina ever

I don't want to wear it for attention seeking purposes - I essentially want to wear a headscarf but don't want people to think I'm appropriating things. I never said I'm wearing it to know what it feels like to be persecuted and I think it's interesting that you believe anyone who wears a headscarf wants to pretend to be oppressed.

Original post by Reue

they wear the hijab as a sign of modesty, and so only show their hair to their partners. But there's nothing wrong with them wanting to look pretty - otherwise they wouldn't ever wear makeup, but many do.

Original post by Lehoe
Exactly.

I don't care if people wear the Hijab or not provided it was their choice (no interferance from daddy, big bro or the Haram police), but a bunch of White girls who have no connection to Islam parading around in ethnocultural or religious clothing, to look pretty/get attention under the guise of walking in the shoes of an oppressed minority is beyond pathetic.

I never said I'm doing it under a guise of being oppressed. I was talking to the girls about it and they said it's not religious appropriation as they were being worn long before Islam was around. Just wondered about other people's opinions on it, but there's no need to be rude about it.
Reply 18
they wear the hijab as a sign of modesty, and so only show their hair to their partners. But there's nothing wrong with them wanting to look pretty - otherwise they wouldn't ever wear makeup, but many do.

But you've been getting attention specifically because of the hijab, hardly a promotion of modesty.
Original post by Andy98
It's an item of clothing, do what you want with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lord Samosa
Wear what you want, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware that people will assume you're a Muslim, if that's not an issue then go for it.

Original post by z33
no i'm muslim and i think it's pretty cool actually :3
it's a piece of clothing
you do you gurl :wink:

Original post by Al-farhan
No it wouldn't be offensive at all.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought too :smile: at the end of the day it's a piece of clothing and so (in my opinion) there's nothing wrong with wearing one. Just wondered what other people thought. Thanks for being nice about it!

Original post by z33
no i'm muslim and i think it's pretty cool actually :3it's a piece of clothingyou do you gurl

Really appreciate your response, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending