The Student Room Group

Sociology Essay Conclusions?

Hey, I was hoping that if anyone has any tips on writing conclusions for sociology they would share them? So far I know for the 21 and 33 mark exams to write a judgement based on whose argument is strongest, predict the future and talk about whether the evidence can be applied to today's society. However, for the Methods In Context question (15 marks) I've got no idea how to conclude!!
Thanks for any help :-)
It's the same as any other conclusion:

Sum up your arguments, why you take a side (and do take a side), complication with drawing that conclusion and perhaps future ways of resolving them.

If you want to send me your conclusion I'll look over it for you (got A* at A-level in sociology)
Original post by ttashaaaxx
Hey, I was hoping that if anyone has any tips on writing conclusions for sociology they would share them? So far I know for the 21 and 33 mark exams to write a judgement based on whose argument is strongest, predict the future and talk about whether the evidence can be applied to today's society. However, for the Methods In Context question (15 marks) I've got no idea how to conclude!!
Thanks for any help :-)

Normally the strongest conclusions offer another different perspective and try to bring in new sociological evidence to conclude rather than summarizing whats been said
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Normally the strongest conclusions offer another different perspective and try to bring in new sociological evidence to conclude rather than summarizing whats been said

I was always taught that a conclusion should never include something new, that should be in the main argument.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I was always taught that a conclusion should never include something new, that should be in the main argument.

No its always very good to introduce new concepts to show off your knowledge if you can conclude on a new point and give an alternative explanation it impresses the examiner rather than the conventional this is was marxist said feminsts would say this but overall etc etc
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
No its always very good to introduce new concepts to show off your knowledge if you can conclude on a new point and give an alternative explanation it impresses the examiner rather than the conventional this is was marxist said feminsts would say this but overall etc etc

I disagree.

I think there's plenty of ways to conclude without stating x said y etc. and new ideas really shouldn't be introduced in the conclusion (I was taught this at undergrad, however)
Original post by Noodlzzz
I disagree.

I think there's plenty of ways to conclude without stating x said y etc. and new ideas really shouldn't be introduced in the conclusion (I was taught this at undergrad, however)

It makes it much more difficult to conclude without repeating yourself bringing in new points just shows the examiner your further understanding and knowledge we were always taught to wherever and where possible try to include something new in the conclusion
bearing in mind that you don't have a lot of time in exams, what's the point of having a conclusion that just repeats all your points since you won't get extra marks for it
Reply 8
I have always been taught not to repeat myself but also not bring in anything new... Thanks for your help :-)

Quick Reply

Latest