The Student Room Group

How to avoid lads holiday

So I messed up quite badly.... I booked a trip to Malia with two mates and we've already payed for it. I'm going to uni after the summer and I realise that I'd prefer going on holiday with my gf than my mates. One of them has ensured it, so it's fine, but the other one hasn't... I have ensured it too, so I'd get my money back and all fine, but one of my friends would either have to go on his own or find more people to go which is unlikely. The other one is also on the verge of not going. So what would be a good excuse that would be understandable? Please take into account that we all work in the same place

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think you should use an excuse. If you really don't want to go, you should be honest about it, although personally I think wanting to go with your girlfriend more is a poor reason to let a friend down.
Original post by Anonymous
So I messed up quite badly.... I booked a trip to Malia with two mates and we've already payed for it. I'm going to uni after the summer and I realise that I'd prefer going on holiday with my gf than my mates. One of them has ensured it, so it's fine, but the other one hasn't... I have ensured it too, so I'd get my money back and all fine, but one of my friends would either have to go on his own or find more people to go which is unlikely. The other one is also on the verge of not going. So what would be a good excuse that would be understandable? Please take into account that we all work in the same place

Let the other guy pull out, then let your gf take the third guy's place? Might have to pay some admin fees for a name change.
Well i have to say you sound like a dick, if you are willing to let your so called 'friend' lose hundreds of pounds or have to go on holiday on his own just because you've changed your mind. There is no good excuse (other than y'know, actual reasons likebreaking your leg or something), because it's a dickish thing to do. The only acceptable thing i think is if you were to find another friend willing to go.
Reply 4
Original post by LiquidGold
Well i have to say you sound like a dick, if you are willing to let your so called 'friend' lose hundreds of pounds or have to go on holiday on his own just because you've changed your mind. There is no good excuse (other than y'know, actual reasons likebreaking your leg or something), because it's a dickish thing to do. The only acceptable thing i think is if you were to find another friend willing to go.

I don't appreciate your comment considering you don't know the full details of my situation. If I was a dick, I wouldn't be starting this discussion. I'm actually willing to give all my insurance money to my friend who was stupid enough to not ensure his own trip for an extra £30. But you didn't need to know that... I'm a real dick, aren't I?
I don't appreciate your comment considering you don't know the full details of my situation. If I was a dick, I wouldn't be starting this discussion. I'm actually willing to give all my insurance money to my friend who was stupid enough to not ensure his own trip for an extra £30. But you didn't need to know that... I'm a real dick, aren't I?

Yes

None of you should have booked a holiday in the first place
go with your mates, have a good laugh... then come back to your g/f and take her on a special trip just you and her.

Well if you're gonna tell someone he "doesn't know the full details of your situation", you might want to explain them in the OP. The important parts like that, at least
Reply 8
I agree that you should allow the friend who did ensure to pull out and have your gf pay the guy who didn't ensure the money to go in his place. That or just go on holiday with your mates and do something else with your gf later. Can't your gf book the same holiday with you guys so it becomes a foursome even? I wouldn't just cancel cause that's pretty lame letting your friends down like that.

do what bear said and go on 2 holidays, one with your mates and one with your gf
Original post by DylanJ42
do what bear said and go on 2 holidays, one with your mates and one with your gf

I would do so without a doubt but we're talking big money, right before going to university that is too.
I would do so without a doubt but we're talking big money, right before going to university that is too.

It seems like what you want is for someone to say 'it's ok to let your friend down and go on holiday with your girlfriend instead'. I don't think many people will say that to be honest.

If you don't want to go, be honest and tell your friend.

yea i guess you're right, its a really tricky situation I wont lie

Well you could go on the holiday with your mates and then go somewhere in your country with your gf, something on the less expensive side but still something she would enjoy :dontknow:
Just go on 2 holidays.
Original post by the bear
x.

how many rep until +12?
Just enjoy the trip with your friends. You can **** gf when you get home anyway.
#brosb4hoes
how many rep until +12?

hey rep is just a number. a high rep count does make you more employable and attracts the ladies but apart from that it does not change anything :ahee:.

you are always looking over your shoulder to see who is trying to snatch your crown away .... curse those Plantagenets :mob:

Spoiler

hey rep is just a number. a high rep count does make you more employable and attracts the ladies but apart from that it does not change anything :ahee:.

you are always looking over your shoulder to see who is trying to snatch your crown away .... curse those Plantagenets :mob:

Spoiler

"hi i am known as the bear, i have no relevant work experience but what i do have is 12 gems" = insta employed :awesome:

do you know of any 12 gemers?

:bricks: maybe that can be your 2016 goal :laugh:
"hi i am known as the bear, i have no relevant work experience but what i do have is 12 gems" = insta employed :awesome:

do you know of any 12 gemers?

:bricks: maybe that can be your 2016 goal :laugh:

also if you apply to a Russell Group yoony there is a special box on the form where you can put your gem number.

unofficially each gem up to 9 counts as 20 points & thereafter 50.
also if you apply to a Russell Group yoony there is a special box on the form where you can put your gem number.

unofficially each gem up to 9 counts as 20 points & thereafter 50.

:argh: i knew i had missed something on the application form :banghead:

I bet the unis compare me to those blasted reddit users smh, they must be laughing at me now :cry:

Quick Reply