The Student Room Group

EU students maintenance loan

Are EU student eligible to claim for a maintenance loan or any extra money apart from the student finance payed for tuition?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fran90
Are EU student eligible to claim for a maintenance loan or any extra money apart from the student finance payed for tuition?

unless you apply as a migrant worker or child of a migrant worker, no.
Reply 2
Am I a migrant worker if am from Spain and working in the UK at the moment?

Thank you
Original post by Fran90
Am I a migrant worker if am from Spain and working in the UK at the moment?

Thank you

Yes, providing you continue to work whilst studying- I believe there are a certain amount of hours you need to work to qualify too, although I can't find that figure right now. You would need to provide payslips as evidence of your job.
Original post by jelly1000
Yes, providing you continue to work whilst studying- I believe there are a certain amount of hours you need to work to qualify too, although I can't find that figure right now. You would need to provide payslips as evidence of your job.

Hi Jelly,

Any ideas as to where we can get more information on the migrant workers support grant?
Reply 5
Somebody told me that the laws are changing this year and they are cutting that maintenance loan for EU student.
Is that true?
Reply 6
Original post by Fran90
Somebody told me that the laws are changing this year and they are cutting that maintenance loan for EU student.
Is that true?

EU students have never been entitled to a Maintenance Loan, unless they have been resident in the UK for three full years before their course starts. If that is the case, then they will still be entitled to the Maintenance Loan. That has not changed.

However, migrant worker rules changed last year. From last September, students claiming a Maintenance Loan under the migrant worker rules have to provide proof of their eligibility for migrant worker status every term, not just once a year:
http://www.slc.co.uk/stakeholders-partners/updates/student-loans-company-service-updates/migrant-worker-process-change-for-201516.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
EU students have never been entitled to a Maintenance Loan, unless they have been resident in the UK for three full years before their course starts. If that is the case, then they will still be entitled to the Maintenance Loan. That has not changed.

However, migrant worker rules changed last year. From last September, students claiming a Maintenance Loan under the migrant worker rules have to provide proof of their eligibility for migrant worker status every term, not just once a year:
http://www.slc.co.uk/stakeholders-partners/updates/student-loans-company-service-updates/migrant-worker-process-change-for-201516.aspx

Good news then!
Where can I get further information about the wage, payments, hours I should work(because you cant work as a full time and study aswell)?
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88

This is excellent news. I sent them an email, but in automated letter it said that they take up to 20 working days to reply.

Just in case you're familiar with these things, do you know what exactly a migrant worker is? I plan on working in the UK for 2 months before uni full-time and then part-time during uni. Am I eligible for the maintenance loan?
Reply 9
Dear thread starter, isn't there a slim chance that I know you? I didn't even look at your name when I posted stuff, Neo.
So, if you have been resident for three years you're entitled to a maintenance loan?? I can't find this anywhere online, on the government website it only says that eu students aren't entitled to one :/ Does this change regarding Scottish universities?
Thank you for your help!
Reply 11
Original post by anomalouse
So, if you have been resident for three years you're entitled to a maintenance loan?? I can't find this anywhere online, on the government website it only says that eu students aren't entitled to one :/ Does this change regarding Scottish universities?
Thank you for your help!

That for certain. After living there for 3 years you can apply as a UK student where as us non-UK residents have to apply as EU students. Should be the same for Scottish unis, it's the same application process anyway.
Original post by pecora
That for certain. After living there for 3 years you can apply as a UK student where as us non-UK residents have to apply as EU students. Should be the same for Scottish unis, it's the same application process anyway.

Ok thank you so much!! Yeah did think that I would qualify as a Uk student seeing as I was born here as well, but Edinbrugh put my fee status as EU (because of my passport) which is frustrating. Do you know if the fact that I've been a resident for over 3 years will change how many loans I get for Scottish universities? Sorry for all the questions😁
Reply 13
Original post by anomalouse
Ok thank you so much!! Yeah did think that I would qualify as a Uk student seeing as I was born here as well, but Edinbrugh put my fee status as EU (because of my passport) which is frustrating. Do you know if the fact that I've been a resident for over 3 years will change how many loans I get for Scottish universities? Sorry for all the questions😁

- If you are not a UK citizen but have lived in the UK for 3 years, you'll get all the loans you need.
- If you are a citizen, you'll also get the loans you need, regardless of whether you spent the last 3 years in the UK or EU.
- If you are not a citizen (even if you were born there) and have not lived there for 3 years, you can get the tuition loan but not the maintenance loan.

I think you should phone the uni and/or the student finance services to get further information :smile: I don't know why they put your fee status as EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by pecora
- If you are not a UK citizen but have lived in the UK for 3 years, you'll get all the loans you need.
- If you are a citizen, you'll also get the loans you need, regardless of whether you spent the last 3 years in the UK or EU.
- If you are not a citizen (even if you were born there) and have not lived there for 3 years, you can get the tuition loan but not the maintenance loan.

I think you should phone the uni and/or the student finance services to get further information :smile: I don't know why they put your fee status as EU.

But if you are not citizen, you have not lived in the UK for 3 years but you are migrant worker, you can get both of them right?
Is the thing I m worries about, this answer was replies in this thread but I need to be sure about it.
Reply 15
Original post by Fran90
But if you are not citizen, you have not lived in the UK for 3 years but you are migrant worker, you can get both of them right?
Is the thing I m worries about, this answer was replies in this thread but I need to be sure about it.

I'm trying to research this as well, I'm still waiting for their answer. From what I've read on the internet and also this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3125199 yes, you can get both if you work the whole time as you are studying, i. e. you can support yourself with your income (I reckon 15-20 hours a week should be more than enough).
Reply 16
Original post by pecora
I'm trying to research this as well, I'm still waiting for their answer. From what I've read on the internet and also this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3125199 yes, you can get both if you work the whole time as you are studying, i. e. you can support yourself with your income (I reckon 15-20 hours a week should be more than enough).

Brilliant, just let us know if you get any news :smile:
Would be nice if we can have the information about the amount of that.
Reply 17
Original post by Fran90
Brilliant, just let us know if you get any news :smile:
Would be nice if we can have the information about the amount of that.

Sure, no problem. Where have you applied? Do you reckon you'll have time to work?
Reply 18
Original post by pecora

You would be eligible for both the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. However, the Maintenance Loan is not guaranteed to cover all of your living costs.

No. Even UK citizens must have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for three years before their course starts, in order to get the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Residence is key. Citizenship and nationality are irrelevant.

Anyone of any nationality who has lived in the EU, but outside the UK, for three full years before their courses starts, can get the Tuition Fee Loan (but not the Maintenance Loan).

Migrant Workers are a separate category of applicant to those above.

Certain categories of people may not be eligible for Student Finance, even if they meet residency requirements. These include some categories of refugee and those who only came to the UK or EU for education. These rules can vary between the countries within the UK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
You would be eligible for both the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. However, the Maintenance Loan is not guaranteed to cover all of your living costs.

No. Even UK citizens must have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for three years before their course starts, in order to get the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Residence is key. Citizenship and nationality are irrelevant.

Anyone of any nationality who has lived in the EU, but outside the UK, for three full years before their courses starts, can get the Tuition Fee Loan (but not the Maintenance Loan).

Migrant Workers are a separate category of applicant to those above.

Certain categories of people may not be eligible for Student Finance, even if they meet residency requirements. These include some categories of refugee and those who only came to the UK or EU for education. These rules can vary between the countries within the UK.

hi Klix88,

You seem really clued up on these matters. Do you by any chance know what classifies a migrant worker, and the child of one? I'm not successful in my searches thus far, and would really appreciate any help!

Quick Reply

Latest