The Student Room Group

Where is my life headed?

Hi everyone,
Honestly I've just about had enough of A levels. For someone like me who is not as intelligent as others I have to work extremely hard to get simply a pass. The amount I have to work to get higher than that is something I cannot sit down for hours and do, I feel like im the type to get up and physically work but im ashamed to drop out of my Alevels because of what my family would say. Also what would I be able to do if I do drop out that would include some type of qualification, and what to they need from me to join also what is it like ( if anyone has had experience in appreticeships etc.)

thank you so so so much
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Don't let your family's opinions have an effect on your career choices; do what will make you happy, not them happy. I don't think you'll need A-levels to do an apprenticeship, but GCSE's are of good help.
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
Don't let your family's opinions have an effect on your career choices; do what will make you happy, not them happy. I don't think you'll need A-levels to do an apprenticeship, but GCSE's are of good help.

thanks so much, my gcses don't look too good either tbh and my a levels are getting so hard erghhhh I hate it
Reply 3
gurl there's literally 3 months left
having qualifications is better than having none
you can't stick it out for just that much longer?
Original post by z33

She might have 15 months left.
Original post by Sumahh
thanks so much, my gcses don't look too good either tbh and my a levels are getting so hard erghhhh I hate it

Surely you must have a good string of passes at GCSE in order to have taken A-levels?
Reply 6
Original post by kc_chiefs
She might have 15 months left.

theres still AS qualifications...
Original post by Mayhem™
Surely you must have a good string of passes at GCSE in order to have taken A-levels?

Since when was that true? A bunch of C's and 6th forms let you in.
Reply 8
I am truly sorry to hear all this.
Original post by z33
theres still AS qualifications...

Which are pretty much worthless. Hell, they are worthless.
Since when was that true? A bunch of C's and 6th forms let you in.

A C grade at GCSE is a pass...
Reply 11
Which are pretty much worthless. Hell, they are worthless.

maybe they allow you to qualify for a higher level of apprenticeship?
or show some kinda skill to an employer?
Original post by z33

What it actually shows much more is that someone couldn't see through A levels to the end. Employers tend to look at these things not so much from a skills perspective but what it says about someones work ethic and willingness to see something through.

And AS is such a low level it isn't like you have really earned much in the way of skills or knowledge.
Reply 13
What it actually shows much more is that someone couldn't see through A levels to the end. Employers tend to look at these things not so much from a skills perspective but what it says about someones work ethic and willingness to see something through.

And AS is such a low level it isn't like you have really earned much in the way of skills or knowledge.

fair nuff i guess

OP take a look at:
http://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/articles/article/64/advanced-apprenticeships

and search for apprenticeships:
https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch
Reply 14
Original post by Sumahh
Hi everyone,
Honestly I've just about had enough of A levels. For someone like me who is not as intelligent as others I have to work extremely hard to get simply a pass. The amount I have to work to get higher than that is something I cannot sit down for hours and do, I feel like im the type to get up and physically work but im ashamed to drop out of my Alevels because of what my family would say. Also what would I be able to do if I do drop out that would include some type of qualification, and what to they need from me to join also what is it like ( if anyone has had experience in appreticeships etc.)

thank you so so so much
xxx

Ahh you shouldn't feel ashamed, everyone is different, that is what keeps things interesting! There are many successful happy people who haven't taken the conventional academic route.

I would suggest sticking it out while you investigate your options.National Apprenticeships Week is happening from 14th - 18th March, there will be lots of info available, in the meantime check this out: http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/how_to_apply
Don't be too hard on yourself. Even the smartest of people still need to exert effort and work hard to achieve whatever it is they have to achieve. Besides it is not always the A-levels that matter, but the learning experience and the discoveries that came along the way. Sometimes, a passing grade is just okay. Grades and academic performance aren't the only bases for one's worth as a person. Have fun and enjoy, too. Lots of luck.
Reply 16
Original post by z33

loool, yeah I know what you mean, Im on my first year though and I know that second year is only gonna get even harderrrr
Reply 17
Original post by ninjapurple
Don't be too hard on yourself. Even the smartest of people still need to exert effort and work hard to achieve whatever it is they have to achieve. Besides it is not always the A-levels that matter, but the learning experience and the discoveries that came along the way. Sometimes, a passing grade is just okay. Grades and academic performance aren't the only bases for one's worth as a person. Have fun and enjoy, too. Lots of luck.

awwww thanks so much! But seriously im not even being hard on myself, if I fail my A levels which I probally will, then what :frown:
Original post by Sumahh
... if I fail my A levels which I probally will, then what :frown:

Get a job. Join the Army/Navy/RAF.
Reply 19
Original post by z33

yeah this is totally a good point I will deffo complete my AS
thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest