The Student Room Group

"Apparently" Nottingham is a poor university.

My Dad is gonna drive me insane..Ive got 4 offers so far for Chemical engineering and planning on firming Nottingham. However he believes Nottingham is one of the worst universities???? lol what? He has no clue what hes talking about and refuses to listen when I try explain to him.

And its not just Nottingham he believes is poor, he also thinks the other universities I have applied too are also rubbish which includes Edinburgh and Manchester and said he wont allow me to go to any of these universities ....he is middle eastern so obviously he wont listen, its in his blood.
Anyone in a similar position? No idea what to do now

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel9998
My Dad is gonna drive me insane..Ive got 4 offers so far for Chemical engineering and planning on firming Nottingham. However he believes Nottingham is one of the worst universities???? lol what? He has no clue what hes talking about and refuses to listen when I try explain to him.

And its not just Nottingham he believes is poor, he also thinks the other universities I have applied too are also rubbish which includes Edinburgh and Manchester and said he wont allow me to go to any of these universities ....he is middle eastern so obviously he wont listen, its in his blood.

My mum was the same when I was applying. I got offers from Nottingham, Bristol and Manchester and when I told her about my nottingham offer she was like 'is that even any good?' lol like okay mother

And when I got rejected from Oxford she tried to comfort me by saying 'don't worry, only rich people get into Oxford anyway?'

Parents can be so ignorant sometimes :facepalm:
Reply 2
Original post by InadequateJusticex
My mum was the same when I was applying. I got offers from Nottingham, Bristol and Manchester and when I told her about my nottingham offer she was like 'is that even any good?' lol like okay mother

And when I got rejected from Oxford she tried to comfort me by saying 'don't worry, only rich people get into Oxford anyway?'

Parents can be so ignorant sometimes :facepalm:

haha yup thats parents for you
Reply 3
Original post by JohnGreek
Lol, my parents thought that Manchester was better for Law than Bristol or Glasgow, simply because they'd never heard of the latter, and had heard of Manchester United... Don't listen to them, it's likely that they've either not gone through the UK university system (like mine) or are simply out of sync with uni rankings by about 20 years :biggrin:

Yeh I think thats the case, my parents have never gone through the uni application process before so the only universities they think are good are Oxford and Cambridge. Really gets on my tits
Reply 4
Well, it is in Nottingham
but….. Sir Martyn Poliakoff is a professor at Nottingham and he is the coolest most sciency looking guy on the planet :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by loya61
Well, it is in Nottingham

whats wrong with Nottingham?
Reply 7
Just curious - what made you choose Nottingham over Manchester?
Reply 8
Original post by ReeceM1
Just curious - what made you choose Nottingham over Manchester?

Yeh Nottingham isn't as strong as Manchester for Chem Eng but when I visited Manchester for the interview/open day I didn't like the university at all for some reason, just couldn't see myself there I guess.
I hate parents like that, they spout views that may have been relevant 30 years ago and act like nothing changed

All the Uni's you've applied to are great :yy:
Reply 10
whats wrong with Nottingham?

Nottingham is only bad if you live in the bad area and expect the city to be like London, Manchester :tongue: Besides, most students there will only stay within the campus and the city centre region (apart from home students). The only bad thing about the uni is that there's so many damn hills (I carry a massive backpack when going to the library, and I'm already exhausted by the time I get there). :tongue:

Anyway, this is the reason why I didn't tell my parents or friends where I am applying.
I'm not sure what is worse, when parents act like this or my parents when they say they don't care where I go as long as I move out and don't ask for any money.

I think my parents are trying to get rid of me lol.

LOOOOL, your dad needs a wake up call.

Just tell him to stop being an idiot and look at the statistics on UniStats. He won't act dumb when he sees an avg. achieved starting salary of £31k for MEng Chem Eng at Notts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
Nottingham is only bad if you live in the bad area and expect the city to be like London, Manchester :tongue: Besides, most students there will only stay within the campus and the city centre region (apart from home students). The only bad thing about the uni is that there's so many damn hills (I carry a massive backpack when going to the library, and I'm already exhausted by the time I get there). :tongue:

Anyway, this is the reason why I didn't tell my parents or friends where I am applying.

Well I live in Croydon in London so im pretty sure Nottingham is gonna be a very safe place to live compared to where im from. But the hills might put me off now haha
My parent's don't have any concept of what unis are good or bad; I doubt they could differentiate from Anglia Ruskin or Cambridge. They just say University in X. So they confuse the unis in the same city.
Original post by Dannyboy2015
I'm not sure what is worse, when parents act like this or my parents when they say they don't care where I go as long as I move out and don't ask for any money.

I think my parents are trying to get rid of me lol.

Both are as bad as each other tbh
Original post by JohnGreek
Lol, my parents thought that Manchester was better for Law than Bristol or Glasgow, simply because they'd never heard of the latter, and had heard of Manchester United... Don't listen to them, it's likely that they've either not gone through the UK university system (like mine) or are simply out of sync with uni rankings by about 20 years :biggrin:

Well more Manchester grads do end up going to Magic Circle and large London firms than both Bristol and Glasgow so maybe your parents have a point. Chamber Student and The Times recently did a study interviewing thousands of trainee solicitors and asked them what universities they attended and published their results today. Nottingham and Manchester do very well in many categories. Check out the results in the thread below

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899945
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Many people still believe the 'shottingham' crap from a decade ago. I went to Notts: it's a great uni and the city has a great social life.
I'm jealous; my parents literally couldn't care less where I applied. They took no interest whatsoever and barely raised an eyebrow when I told then I got into UCL/Edinburgh.
Nottingham is fine. It has it's grim areas like any city but you will only be going in the student areas or town centre really and they are fine. Nothing to worry about - I love it here and have lived here 3 and a half years now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending