The Student Room Group

Should we give money to beggars?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I swear there are also more beggars in Manchester city centre than there were 5 years ago.

Almost certainly, unfortunately it's not just London. There's been a 50% increase nationwide.
Not if you want to get rid of them lol.
i do if they give something back like the ones who play music then yes or will read your fortune then i will drop a a couple of quid or fiver into their bowl/hat but those who just sit expecting get nothing as say learning an instrument take years to do well so i like to pay them as the music is a service
Original post by Ribenas
NO, I don't think we should give beggars money because they could spend the money on anything i.e drugs. However, I don't believe we should give them nothing as that shows no compassion so I suggest giving them food as a replacement to money!

I agree.
Better to give them something to eat or a drink than the money. Money is good and all that, but you are never sure what they might spend it on.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Better to give them something to eat or a drink than the money. Money is good and all that, but you are never sure what they might spend it on.

Agreed. :smile:
I'd rather give them food or donate to a soup kitchen or something. But of course I do neither of these things...
Buy them food and water, but fuel cigarette/drug/alcohol dependencies with cash? erm nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by hogree
If it's been done already, shut me down.

Just got me thinking today, about five beggars just sitting around in Vauxhall Station. I think morally giving to the poor is absolutely critical, but I'm just not sure - the argument goes that giving money to beggars either convinces them to remain in their same position of laziness or feed their unhelpful habits. I'm all for people supporting food banks etc, but individually giving money out to beggars?

Opinions?

Morally giving to the poor is critical?
You mean enable junkies?

Someone who has no moral spine gives money to beggars as it's easy to pretend they are in need then to walk past them and accept the reality that any money will go on smack.
Reply 28
Original post by APkr
Morally giving to the poor is critical?
You mean enable junkies?

Someone who has no moral spine gives money to beggars as it's easy to pretend they are in need then to walk past them and accept the reality that any money will go on smack.

By giving to the poor, I meant that it's critical as a society to all take a responsibility to provide for those who are in need. I'm on your side with just dropping coins into a coffee cup - it doesn't do any good at all.
Honestly, the people refusing to give money - are you on some sort of power trip? Do you think someone's drug habit will go away because you gave them a sandwich instead of a fiver?

Or do you think maybe they might just resort to other methods such as crime or prostitution to feed their habits?
Give them food not money
Original post by Captain Haddock
Occasionally. I'd be broke if I did it every time. Since Cameron became PM rough sleeping has gone up 80% here in London, and it's very noticeable.

I'm sure if you give a quid a couple of times a week you won't be broke...

I give whenever I have change on me tbh, it makes no difference to my overall wealth. A couple of quid to me means no coffee, a couple of quid to them can go towards a hostel for the night.

I'm curious to see all these "charity supporters" so against giving change to the homeless...what about the Big Issue? Do those people not support buying the Big Issue either because then you're giving the vendor change?
My mum once helped a beggar a few weeks ago and agreed to buy her some food within a certain amount because she didn't want her to spend it on drugs. She told her to follow her into a supermarket to take some food items within the amount she wanted, the woman ended up asking for more than my mum agreed to pay for her and used slanderous words to cuss my mum out. Goodness gracious me, haven't seen an ungrateful person in my life like her before!

OP, I have given beggars money before, but I would not advise this in the future, it is better to offer them food instead, that way you know where the money is going. The example above shouldn't deter people from buying them food though. I would advise anyone that wants to buy them food, to observe them first and buy them the food first before offering it to them. Rather than taking them into the supermarket for them to choose what they want to eat.
Original post by Reue
Which they again use to generate a compounded return.

So do you frequently give to charity then?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Honestly, the people refusing to give money - are you on some sort of power trip? Do you think someone's drug habit will go away because you gave them a sandwich instead of a fiver?

Or do you think maybe they might just resort to other methods such as crime or prostitution to feed their habits?

I know, they treat them as animals. It's so naive to think that by giving them food they are offering such a big service and at the same time preventing their drug habit. Like you say, if they're going to use, they're going to use. And I wonder what percentage of people on here would turn to using after spending a couple of years on the street.... People shouldn't judge.

It's a bit of a God complex going on.
Reply 35
Original post by Twinpeaks
So do you frequently give to charity then?

Not frequently.
Reply 36
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Honestly, the people refusing to give money - are you on some sort of power trip?

Unbelievable.
Original post by Reue
Unbelievable.

You might have to be a bit more specific.
In my own opinion, one or two times is enough. But if we continue on supporting them, we are just teaching them to gain hope for other people. We should be wise enough and help them in a right way.
Reply 39
Yah sure they might use it for alchohol and stuff. But really once you give it to them its their money, so they use it for what they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending