The Student Room Group

Games workshop mega thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paulwyn
love that

Can't go wrong with a Warlord Titan.

Guess who the person in my avatar is!
Our first event:

Post your favourite single miniature that you've painted (or that someone has done the job for you)!

Coming up is good old Corpus-Captain Zachariah Kersh of the 5th Company and later Chapter Master of the Excoriators chapter, by yours truly.

Spoiler

Original post by The Warsmith
Our first event:

Post your favourite single miniature that you've painted (or that someone has done the job for you)!

Coming up is good old Corpus-Captain Zachariah Kersh of the 5th Company and later Chapter Master of the Excoriators chapter, by yours truly.

Spoiler

Fair play that's a pretty sweet paint job! Most of my old models are painted to the bare minimum so I won't post yet but i am starting to put some more effort in- just got used to the new paints as I've been awY from the hobby for the last six years. When I do get my painting act together I'll be attempting to do this justice :

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Harbinger-Of-Decay

Spoiler

Did you paint that one?!
Original post by Captain Jack
Did you paint that one?!

Yes. I gave it to a friend of mine on another forum for his birthday. I really like the lore that went behind that character.
Original post by Davij038
Fair play that's a pretty sweet paint job! Most of my old models are painted to the bare minimum so I won't post yet but i am starting to put some more effort in- just got used to the new paints as I've been awY from the hobby for the last six years. When I do get my painting act together I'll be attempting to do this justice :

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Harbinger-Of-Decay

Good luck! You'll definitely need it to compete with that!
This is a blast from the past :ahee: I haven't played in about seven years, but it's something my best friend and I first bonded over so plenty of fond memories! I played loads of LOTR (I've probably still got a few hundred quid's worth of models in the loft somewhere) but after a few years of that I was never really able to make the move over to 40K or Fantasy, life was taking over and my money could never stretch beyond a set of two every couple of months and I could never stick to one army long enough to build a playable force. I did have a 6 month campaign of Mordheim going with a few mates (which I pretty much dominated after a few early wins :colone:) which was probably the most fun I had with any of the tabletop games they made- I loved the smaller scale and the extended campaigns, every decision felt a bit more significant.

I've also heard that people have been kicking up a fuss about recent changes to Fantasy, and looking on GW's website the move to round bases certainly makes it look like the game has changed a bit. Can someone fill me in?

This is awesome :teeth: I was always useless at painting, I was a dab hand at conversions though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
This is such a great thread to find at 2am, I'm so happy it exists.

Unfortunately I don't live as close to a 40k community now that I am at uni, and so haven't been able to keep up as much as I'd like.

I am still playing the computer games and immersing myself in the fluff though. It is great to find a community again (I left the forums after a player started harrassing me to the point where he found me irl and started trying to photograph me through my window getting changed to post online), I have missed this. :h:
Yes. I gave it to a friend of mine on another forum for his birthday. I really like the lore that went behind that character.

That is really incredible.

I used to play Warhammer 40,000 religiously as a teenager. Having painted loads of them, I can really appreciate what you've done there!
Ok Warhammer Fantasy is actually a dead system GW no longer supports it.
also Age of Sigmar which is 40K but fantasy is litterally 40K but with fantasy models also you can use as many models as you own in a game
Well I still have around 1000pts of Blood angels using 4th edition rules..... with around 2500 Imperial Guard (I refuse to acknowledge Astra Militarum as a thing).

Age of sigma killed Warhammer Fantasy for many people. They also killed of many races and names for trademarking purposes..... just look at the new stupid names! Prices are going up with GW loosing money year on year.... despite the fact they still tell stockholders it's going up year on year. Prices are still above infaltion.... codex's at £35???? Sorry but even with inflation they should be £22-23.

All and all though, I reasonably enjoy 7ths rule set... albeit vehicle CC has yet to be addressed (The old famous Warboss, on bike, with powerclaw, charging the front of a LR hitting rear armour example) and D weapons are having a horrific effect on the game!
Original post by DanB1991
Well I still have around 1000pts of Blood angels using 4th edition rules..... with around 2500 Imperial Guard (I refuse to acknowledge Astra Militarum as a thing).

Age of sigma killed Warhammer Fantasy for many people. They also killed of many races and names for trademarking purposes..... just look at the new stupid names! Prices are going up with GW loosing money year on year.... despite the fact they still tell stockholders it's going up year on year. Prices are still above infaltion.... codex's at £35???? Sorry but even with inflation they should be £22-23.

All and all though, I reasonably enjoy 7ths rule set... albeit vehicle CC has yet to be addressed (The old famous Warboss, on bike, with powerclaw, charging the front of a LR hitting rear armour example) and D weapons are having a horrific effect on the game!

Two words, imperial knights
Aye, I would say I actually enjoy the building aspect moreso than the painting to be honest.

As for what happened with WFB, Nagash and Chaos happened - everyone nearly died - Sigmar (the god) has come back to forge an alliance with the other gods to destroy chaos once and for all.

Original post by Nerwen
This is such a great thread to find at 2am, I'm so happy it exists.

Unfortunately I don't live as close to a 40k community now that I am at uni, and so haven't been able to keep up as much as I'd like.

I am still playing the computer games and immersing myself in the fluff though. It is great to find a community again (I left the forums after a player started harrassing me to the point where he found me irl and started trying to photograph me through my window getting changed to post online), I have missed this. :h:

We should play End Times: Verminitide this summer, sometime. You can be the elf :tongue:

Original post by Captain Jack
That is really incredible.

I used to play Warhammer 40,000 religiously as a teenager. Having painted loads of them, I can really appreciate what you've done there!

Thanks Jack. Really appreciate it.
You should really read the book - The Legion of the Damned by Rob Sanders. The story is purely fantastic if you ask me!
Original post by DeathGuardElite
Ok Warhammer Fantasy is actually a dead system GW no longer supports it.
also Age of Sigmar which is 40K but fantasy is litterally 40K but with fantasy models also you can use as many models as you own in a game

GW can't stop you playing games with your friend at the club though...

Original post by DanB1991

It's GW. What else is there to be expected? I only have faith in Forgeworld these days.

Two words, imperial knights

The current ones look horrid, IMO.

But the Cerastus-pattern knight though....such a beaut

The Knight Lancer from Forgeworld.
I think the knight looks much better with the longer legs and narrower pauldrons.
GW can't stop you playing games with your friend at the club though...

It's GW. What else is there to be expected? I only have faith in Forgeworld these days.

The current ones look horrid, IMO.

But the Cerastus-pattern knight though....such a beaut

The Knight Lancer from Forgeworld.
I think the knight looks much better with the longer legs and narrower pauldrons.

forge world is owned by GW XD
basically i know a lot of people who want to see GW crash just so proper fans can buy the IP
forge world is owned by GW XD
basically i know a lot of people who want to see GW crash just so proper fans can buy the IP

True, true. So what's your favourite model?
True, true. So what's your favourite model?

none of them all over priced pieces of plastic XD
i like the game more then i do the models bizzarely and i enjoy the lore more then the models too, which explains why i prefer the RPGs
none of them all over priced pieces of plastic XD
i like the game more then i do the models bizzarely and i enjoy the lore more then the models too, which explains why i prefer the RPGs

Ah, yes, I see. But even lore-wise, who do you like from both 40k and WFB?
Ah, yes, I see. But even lore-wise, who do you like from both 40k and WFB?

WFB is dead so its not even able to be counted XD
from 40K Ahriman
WFB is dead so its not even able to be counted XD
from 40K Ahriman

OMG YES!!!! I'm a huge Thousand Sons fan, and I've read the whole Ahriman series (except for Exodus). Then there's the Crimson King by Graham McNeill coming soon too!

I also can't wait to see how FW will do Ahriman.

Quick Reply

Latest