The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NOP97
What score did you get?

22 so not great
Original post by chloetraynor
That's amazing, congratulations! You must've had a really strong application in other areas? Do you mind me asking what you got at AS?
I'm so worried about KCL, I applied in October with poor LNAT (24) and AS results, but you've given me back a tiny bit of hope aha, congrats again!

Thanks! I didn't think my application was too strong, UCL was definitely a long-shot. My AS were AAAAB and I'm predicted A*A*A. My GCSE's were 11A*'s. You should have hope, 24 is still above average! Good luck. :smile:
Original post by shiyi
I'll copy what they said in their rejection email haha.
It's about my PS but they never said specifically which part went wrong.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as consequence of your personal statement. As competition for places at LSE is intense, the Personal Statement is considered carefully when deciding whether to make an offer. Your personal statement, when compared to those of similar applicants, was not sufficiently convincing to be offered a place.

Another odd thing is that one of the mature girls' college in Cambridge (not the one I applied to ) wrote me an email encouraging me to re-apply to their college next year cuz they couldn't offer me a place this year( probably cuz I'm not 21 yet).

can we please have an honest discussion about this? i honestly don't blame LSE for rejecting you and those like you. I mean you're fresh out of school, you've never had a proper day's job, you don't read legal material, you've never gone to your local courts, you've never done barrister shadowing, you don't know how to draft legal documents and your only source of passion for law is the tv show Suits? how fantastic can your UCAS statement be? needless to say, the outcome is obvious?

as for cambridge it has nothing to do with your age. most Oxbridge students apply 1 year/a window cycle before they actually start uni proper. as a result of this sly manoeuvre, outstanding students like you who apply in the year that you want to start uni will often have to face extremely stiff competition from other equally spectacular students.

you're still young so if you need to take a gap year then do it. if it means you get into a better uni according to your beliefs, then do it. but don't get into the sick vicious cycle of applying more than 3 times in 3 consecutive years just so you can get into a better uni. i know many people who have done that. in some cases, it payed off. in other cases, some of those friends of mine simply did not have the desire to purse law anymore and simply did another course altogether.

if you think that the top unis are very good in terms of teaching quality then you're gravely mistaken. i did a post on this so click on my profile to view my previous posts and you will discover a wealth of information.

and this really bears repeating. i really don't see any significant difference between your remaining 3 choices. I'll go for QMUL if i were you. Only cos QMUL sounds nice than say Bristol or Durham :tongue:

do update us here on how things pan out for you.

Original post by michaelzz
GCSEs: 2 A*, 5 A, 2 B and 1 CAS: ABCD (I also already have A Level Polish at grade B)They are taking so long, but it's reassuring to see that a lot of people are still waiting.

nottingham has always been very slow.

Original post by yvchan
I'm Singaporean too and I know quite a number of people (singaporean, specifically) who went to Bristol, and their friend circle literally comprises of Singaporeans only. Which if you're interested in, go ahead, but ultimately it's your decision really. I'd say go for Durham or QM! :smile:

which unis did you apply to and have you gotten any offers? did you do A levels or the IB? what were your grades and what was your LNAT score?
Original post by Audrey18

which unis did you apply to and have you gotten any offers? did you do A levels or the IB? what were your grades and what was your LNAT score?

Um, I applied to Bristol/UCL/KCL/LSE/Durham. So far I've only got an offer from Bristol and rejections from both UCL and KCL (on the basis of my LNAT - I got 23.) I'm currently doing my a levels in uk but my predicted grades are A*A*A (+A* in EPQ if that counts)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yvchan
Um, I applied to Bristol/UCL/KCL/LSE/Durham. So far I've only got an offer from Bristol and rejections from both UCL and KCL (on the basis of my LNAT - I got 23.) I'm currently doing my a levels in uk but my predicted grades are A*A*A (+A* in EPQ if that counts)

Cheers I got rejected by UCL and KCL too... and I'm still waiting for Durham haha
Original post by anitatoz
Cheers I got rejected by UCL and KCL too... and I'm still waiting for Durham haha

Commiserations (if they were your first choice). Well at least I'm not in the waiting game alone! :tongue: Hopefully an offer comes soon!
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Can a university go into adjustment without going through clearing? Also do you know if Nottingham have gone into clearing in the last couple of years as I can't seem to find anything on it online

Nottingham haven't been in clearing for law in years. Last year I do remember seeing Warwick, Manchester and a few others in clearing.
Does anybody know whether the law lecturers are better at Leicester or Surrey? Trying to decide between the two. I prefer the 'feel' of Leicester, but I've heard that Leicester aren't good at giving feedback - I don't know whether that applies to the law department or the lecturers at Leicester in general, though.

I'm also stuck between the two because of Surrey's placement year. I know that Leicester offers study abroad options, but I'm not sure if they offer work placements and, if they do, if they are as good as Surrey's? Surrey seems to be really involved in what the student is doing and making sure that they are progressing effectively.

I prefer the modules at Leicester, though, and I am leaning towards Leicester more as a place and university in general, but I'm just wondering whether I will get more out of a law degree at Surrey (in terms of employability)
Reply 2668
Original post by Audrey18
can we please have an honest discussion about this? i honestly don't blame LSE for rejecting you and those like you. I mean you're fresh out of school, you've never had a proper day's job, you don't read legal material, you've never gone to your local courts, you've never done barrister shadowing, you don't know how to draft legal documents and your only source of passion for law is the tv show Suits? how fantastic can your UCAS statement be? needless to say, the outcome is obvious?

as for cambridge it has nothing to do with your age. most Oxbridge students apply 1 year/a window cycle before they actually start uni proper. as a result of this sly manoeuvre, outstanding students like you who apply in the year that you want to start uni will often have to face extremely stiff competition from other equally spectacular students.

you're still young so if you need to take a gap year then do it. if it means you get into a better uni according to your beliefs, then do it. but don't get into the sick vicious cycle of applying more than 3 times in 3 consecutive years just so you can get into a better uni. i know many people who have done that. in some cases, it payed off. in other cases, some of those friends of mine simply did not have the desire to purse law anymore and simply did another course altogether.

if you think that the top unis are very good in terms of teaching quality then you're gravely mistaken. i did a post on this so click on my profile to view my previous posts and you will discover a wealth of information.

and this really bears repeating. i really don't see any significant difference between your remaining 3 choices. I'll go for QMUL if i were you. Only cos QMUL sounds nice than say Bristol or Durham :tongue:

do update us here on how things pan out for you.

nottingham has always been very slow.

If you want an honest discussion, maybes you shouldn't have so many assumptions. Well, I completed my 4-year high school education in Singapore. I have actually been to the local courts and did a job-shadowing in a local top law firm. I read a few relevant books which I borrowed from a local uni's law library. I believe I have honestly stated my reasons and tried to show my passion for law. I am serious about taking the course. But I guess I was just not good enough. English is my second language and I am still not confident in my expression.

I am not blaming anyone but honestly feel a bit clueless about why my PS was not good. My teacher thought my PS was quite clear in showing who I am, so I think maybe there are just too many other competitive applicants who are obviously better than me.
Does anyone know whether Bristol have allocated the bulk of their offers yet? It certainly seems as though a lot of people are receiving offers. :redface:
Original post by baconwoo
Got a ucl offer today 😁

same! ahh
(edited 8 years ago)
has anyone who has applied for English Law (LLB) and French Law (Master) at KCL received an offer yet? A whole lot of offers/rejections seem to be going out for straight Law (LLB) but I have yet to meet one person applying for this particular course!
Reply 2672
Original post by anitatoz

wow, me too! have you got offers from your other two choices? :smile:
Reply 2673
Original post by aayushk
Hey, has anyone applied to Leeds for law? I haven't come across anyone who has applied to Leeds let alone receive an offer. Is it good for law?

I've applied to Leeds and received an offer! It's a good uni and its overall ranking is higher than other unis like KCL and QMUL...I'm considering it, especially since I'm still waiting for my other 4 choices and I'm kinda losing hope!
Reply 2674
Original post by IDKY
and your LNAT was?

Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Aaaah! I was predicted AAA and got an offer of A*AA from Notts:angry: really wish they offered me my predictions.. I hope they will accept A*AB in the end because u think I may end up getting that

Maybe they got our offers mixed up haha :h: I'm sure you'll get in!
Original post by baldyy

What grades do you have please? Still waiting on kings with the same LNAT score as you :smile:
Leeds or Birmingham for law?

Preferred the feel to Leeds and the way the undergraduates spoke about it on the open day but then Birminghams history with the character of the uni seems to be more.
Which do you think employers would look at more keenly?
Really interesting study done by Chamber student and The Times into what universities Law Firms appear to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and noted down what universities each came from. Might be useful those struggling to decide what university to firm and what university is more respected by Magic circle firms.

results from the Chamber Student and The Times are listed in the thread linked below

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899945
Original post by dodo15
Leeds or Birmingham for law?

Preferred the feel to Leeds and the way the undergraduates spoke about it on the open day but then Birminghams history with the character of the uni seems to be more.
Which do you think employers would look at more keenly?

Really interesting study done by Chamber student and The Times into what universities Law Firms appear to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and noted down what universities each came from. Might be useful those struggling to decide what university to firm and what university is more respected by Magic circle firms. results from the Chamber Student and The Times are listed in the thread linked below http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899945

Latest

Trending

Trending