The Student Room Group

A Female's road to Bath University's Computer Science Degree (Hopefully)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CSLady
My chemistry class is more fair physics there is 8 guys and me and the further maths there are two other boys. My maths is two girls to about 6-7 boys.
Thinking about it that figure is probably optimistic. I think that was a percentage one of the universities stated but I looked at so many I can't remember which one 😂
Good to see its some use I made a sheet like that last year for AS and found it really useful for making sure I didn't do he same exam paper over and over again and not do the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever done the international papers (Maths) apparently they are really good if you run out and they follow virtually the same specs. I've added them to my list (for maths and chemistry as I also do Edexcel for that). Just a suggestion in case you run out!

I've also been looking at the Solomon and bronze-gold papers for maths (I think I saw some of them on your sheets) but again just sharing some tips (:
Reply 21
Finished the 6 past exam questions and wrote my cover sheet with notes on what to remember when doing the questions. I find the best thing to do is write automatic response answers, common pitfalls and areas that I need to remember
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818153.063881.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by BryonyG98
Have you ever done the international papers (Maths) apparently they are really good if you run out and they follow virtually the same specs. I've added them to my list (for maths and chemistry as I also do Edexcel for that). Just a suggestion in case you run out!

I've also been looking at the Solomon and bronze-gold papers for maths (I think I saw some of them on your sheets) but again just sharing some tips (:

I have not seen those. Will have to take a look. I only do edexcel maths (OCR for physics and Chemistry)
The bronze-gold papers are off Physics and Maths Tutor they are edexcel papers so are past edexcel questions ordered by difficulty the website also has some of the Solomon papers so shall have to have a look at those 🤓(cannot recommend the website enough wish I'd found it for AS!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Something I have found very helpful when having finished a past paper is creating a cover sheet for that paper.
On the cover sheet I have written out the questions that I didn't get the marks for and the made a model answer. Helps so see quickly what I haven't understood without needing to spend ages looking through all the past papers. I shall include some pictures below to show how I do them. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818720.461491.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818745.794522.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818767.652424.jpg
I highlight the question or topic to make it easier find.
This also means if the same topics pop up on multiple cover sheets then I know I need to do some work on that particular topic. Quite time consuming but helps me make sure I don't make the same mistakes twice.😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CSLady
I have not seen those. Will have to take a look. I only do edexcel maths (OCR for physics and Chemistry)
The bronze-gold papers are off Physics and Maths Tutor they are edexcel papers so are past edexcel questions ordered by difficulty the website also has some of the Solomon papers so shall have to have a look at those 🤓(cannot recommend the website enough wish I'd found it for AS!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by CSLady
Something I have found very helpful when having finished a past paper is creating a cover sheet for that paper.
On the cover sheet I have written out the questions that I didn't get the marks for and the made a model answer. Helps so see quickly what I haven't understood without needing to spend ages looking through all the past papers. I shall include some pictures below to show how I do them. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818720.461491.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818745.794522.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455818767.652424.jpg
I highlight the question or topic to make it easier find.
This also means if the same topics pop up on multiple cover sheets then I know I need to do some work on that particular topic. Quite time consuming but helps me make sure I don't make the same mistakes twice.😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah those International papers are useful! As are the Solomon papers (especially due to the added difficulty). The bronze-gold papers can be fairly useful as it orders them; however I end up recognising some of the question which is kind of irritating. I will probably do them after the international ones.

I think those cover sheets are really useful; I may need to "borrow" that idea as well!

I also posted my version of your past paper sheet on my blog if you want to take a look (:
Reply 25
So summary for today:
I did 5 hours of work on chapter 3 of FP1
Completing the entire chapter (examples and selected questions)
Completed all past exam questions from Jan 2009 till June 2013 on the chapter and did a cover sheet to point out common mistakes and automatic response questions
Tomorrows goals:
Begin chapter 4 of FP1 (last chapter I need for the mock as its only mock on chapter 1-4)
Start writing up detailed plan of my physics experiments for my A2 coursework
1 chemistry paper hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
So the next hour I am going to do the June 2011 Chemistry paper (OCR A Ring polymers and analysis) before I started I spent a few minutes reading through my cover sheets from previous past papers to try and refresh my memory on areas that I seem to keep forgetting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I've finished my past paper and now making some more red berry tea. Also watched a YouTube vlog by Jamie Ped (go take a look!). They are quite old blogs but he went to Bath University and did computer science and it's a daily vlog from his AS results (2011 I think) till now! I find them very motivating and each one is only seven minutes or so so a nice little break in between revision sessions.

Next hour I hope to mark the chemistry paper and create a cover sheet with the errors or mistakes I have made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I have marked the past paper and got 46/60 which is an A (woo). I made a cover sheet pictured below and managed to condense the errors to one side of A4.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883417.099685.jpg
I have also made this questions into revision cards like my other cover sheets (forgot to mention I did that before).
I have coloured (each colour is a different subject) unlined revision cards about half A5 size. (I couldn't find any the appropriate size so you don't write too much on each side so I brought a pack of coloured card in staples and then paid for hem to cut them to the right size saved me a lot of time cutting them on my guillotine) I write the question on one side and he answer on the other. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883524.160959.jpg these two are from last year and are written from the mark sheme. For maths I make these too but put on key formula. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883611.185685.jpg I normally place these in my maths book so I always have them to hand. This means I see hem regularly and begin to remember them slowly over the year.

I found last year I kept making revision card and kept losing them or they became ripped or damadge so this year I invested in a note box that came with dividers ( an address box works well too or you can get books that have note cards ring binded together for cheaper my friend swears by them) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883877.082330.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883887.592441.jpg the box keeps my cards together and stops them clogging up my desk. I believe this one was £8 from paperchase which wasn't bad. Having a set now for my revision cards really helps me keep them organised and means I can quickly flick through the things I keep getting wrong before doing a past paper or mock (or the real thing eeee).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
No work done in the last 2 and a half hours went to have lunch with my parents. I plan to continue FP1 4.1 and hopefully get onto FP1 4.2 (all coordinate systems)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Finished 4.1 parabolas and gone through the examples in 4.2 rectangular hyperbolas. Going to try and finish 4.2 and start 4.3 Cartesian and parametric equations ( 4.3 shouldn't be to bad as we have just covered it in c4 so hopefully will go really quickly). 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by CSLady
Finished 4.1 parabolas and gone through the examples in 4.2 rectangular hyperbolas. Going to try and finish 4.2 and start 4.3 Cartesian and parametric equations ( 4.3 shouldn't be to bad as we have just covered it in c4 so hopefully will go really quickly). 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got 30 minutes into the hour and I am exhausted (lack at motivation after doing so much FP1 in the last week ?). Got through the questions in 4.2 and went through the examples in 4.3.
I am going to call it a day as tomorrow I have a friend coming over to do maths revision and might be going to another friend to do chemistry in the evening.

Today I have done:
3 1/2 hours of work
1 past paper on OCR chemistry A
Got an A made revision cards and cover sheet on errors
Completed 4.1 and 4.2 on FP1
And went through the examples of 4.3

I have not done the write up for my planned coursework for physics but that is not due till Monday so I can still do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck on your goals! I'm also a prospective computer science student, and I'm currently in year 12 and got ACD in my January mocks in computing, maths and physics respectively. Do you personally think I could pull this up to AAA by the end of the year (with over 90% in C1 + C2)? As I've been doing lots of past papers and my grades are slowly increasing, but being only 3 months away from my finals I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull up my grades in time
Reply 33
go girl
Reply 34
Original post by AmarRPM
Good luck on your goals! I'm also a prospective computer science student, and I'm currently in year 12 and got ACD in my January mocks in computing, maths and physics respectively. Do you personally think I could pull this up to AAA by the end of the year (with over 90% in C1 + C2)? As I've been doing lots of past papers and my grades are slowly increasing, but being only 3 months away from my finals I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull up my grades in time

I am sure it's possible with work. I got a C in my chemistry mock in February / March and got an A I the exam ! The thing with a lot of parts of A level I found was that I did lots of past papers and went to revision sessions and my grades slowly went up and then I had a moment of clarity for some reason and then t all made sense. Just remember to priories your time and make a record of what you have covered done etc so when you look back you can feel like you done a lot or not. Understanding how much you have done previously really helps you plan what to do next. It's the reason I started this thread ! Good Luck and keep working hard the last three months it should all slot into place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Notions
go girl

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
So had a friend over today to do maths revision but as usual not much got done. Finished an M2 paper (first two questions had been done) and marked it making model answers for the errors. I got a C (June 2014) which was two marks off a B. So an improvement on the last M2 paper!
Didn't do anything else bur confident I will get a lot done tomorrow!
Tomorrow's goals :
Write up physics experiments (planning)
M2 paper (If I have time!)
Complete chapter 4 in FP1 for the mock on Wednesday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSLady
I am sure it's possible with work. I got a C in my chemistry mock in February / March and got an A I the exam ! The thing with a lot of parts of A level I found was that I did lots of past papers and went to revision sessions and my grades slowly went up and then I had a moment of clarity for some reason and then t all made sense. Just remember to priories your time and make a record of what you have covered done etc so when you look back you can feel like you done a lot or not. Understanding how much you have done previously really helps you plan what to do next. It's the reason I started this thread ! Good Luck and keep working hard the last three months it should all slot into place!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for the advice :smile: I should hopefully cover the entire syllabus for maths, computing and physics and have all my notes/flashcards written by mid March at the very latest, then do past papers on everything from then on. Obviously as I've already covered C1 and S1 I'll be doing 2 past papers of each per week from this point onwards to exams.

Once again, good luck on achieving your target grades, hopefully I will too !
Reply 38
Original post by AmarRPM
Thanks a lot for the advice :smile: I should hopefully cover the entire syllabus for maths, computing and physics and have all my notes/flashcards written by mid March at the very latest, then do past papers on everything from then on. Obviously as I've already covered C1 and S1 I'll be doing 2 past papers of each per week from this point onwards to exams.

Once again, good luck on achieving your target grades, hopefully I will too !

That's ok ! Good luck with the revision and exams hope you get what you want !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
As the M2 mock is on Tuesday and so far I have only done three papers (ECC) I have decided not to do Bronze paper 2 but I am going to do Gold paper 2 with the textbook and my notes. Hopefully this will make the paper seem easier on Tuesday and if not get a better grade make sure I don't get too stressed during the exam as that makes me very tired and I need to do some work on Tuesday night for FP1 mock the next day. I am going to do an hour and see how far I get through the paper.
Method of going through it:
Do the question without text book
If needed use textbook but answer in a different colour
Mark the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending