The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

What is Mill Hall (Lancaster) like?

The few photos I've seen of it make it look like a prison inside. Are the windows in rooms really as frosted as they look? I'd find it so depressing not being able to see outside!:frown: Plus the internet thing with the ethernet cable sounds lousy. And the desks look tiny.

Can anyone who's lived there comment on what they thought of it please?:redface:

Scroll to see replies

I'm a first year at Cumbria and live in Mill Hall right now! To be honest I don't find it as bad as people say but lots of people don't like it! You can see outside but the windows are only single glazed so condensation builds up and you have to open your window for a few hours each day. The desks are smaller than those in William Thompson and Wadell definitely but they're still big enough to work on with a printer on the desk too.

I like living there as I love having so many people on one floor (15 rooms with 2 kitchens and 3 bathrooms) and the other flats are smaller, plus living next to town is so helpful and I didn't want to spend at least £600 on a catering plan so wanted the self-catered option. One of my flatmates is a second year living in Mill Hall again like he did in freshers, plus he's planning on living there in 3rd year so it can't be that bad!

Any more questions just ask :smile:
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Original post by alice_c_97
I'm a first year at Cumbria and live in Mill Hall right now! To be honest I don't find it as bad as people say but lots of people don't like it! You can see outside but the windows are only single glazed so condensation builds up and you have to open your window for a few hours each day. The desks are smaller than those in William Thompson and Wadell definitely but they're still big enough to work on with a printer on the desk too.

I like living there as I love having so many people on one floor (15 rooms with 2 kitchens and 3 bathrooms) and the other flats are smaller, plus living next to town is so helpful and I didn't want to spend at least £600 on a catering plan so wanted the self-catered option. One of my flatmates is a second year living in Mill Hall again like he did in freshers, plus he's planning on living there in 3rd year so it can't be that bad!

Any more questions just ask :smile:

Oh wow thank you!! I thought no one was gonna reply to this!

Please tell me everythinggg there is to know! Is the internet connection bad? Are the rooms cold? How big are the bathrooms and are they minging?:colondollar: Was Mill Hall your first choice of accommodation? Did you get any say on what side of the building you're on or what floor? How do you find the walk to campus?
I actually visited Lancaster on Wednesday and went to Mill Hall... I love how close it is to town but it's such a long walk to the uni!!

Finally, what are you studying? And would you recommend the uni of cumbria?

Sorry for all the questions!:biggrin:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Oh wow thank you!! I thought no one was gonna reply to this!

Please tell me everythinggg there is to know! Is the internet connection bad? Are the rooms cold? How big are the bathrooms and are they minging?:colondollar: Was Mill Hall your first choice of accommodation? Did you get any say on what side of the building you're on or what floor? How do you find the walk to campus?
I actually visited Lancaster on Wednesday and went to Mill Hall... I love how close it is to town but it's such a long walk to the uni!!

Finally, what are you studying? And would you recommend the uni of cumbria?

Sorry for all the questions!:biggrin:

No worries!

We had no wifi for the first day but it tends to be ok now, sometimes just a little slow! The rooms do get very cold as the heating is only on for certain hours each day, it stopped working for 2 days a few weeks ago which was not nice!
The bathrooms are ok, there's 2 with a bath and shower and one just shower, they get cleaned once a week so they aren't that great by the day before they're cleaned but not as gross as I was expecting!
Mill Hall was my first choice accommodation yes, you'll almost definitely get your first choice I would't worry, I got in through clearing and got mine.
You don't get a choice in which floor you're on I don't think, they're all basically the same though.
I get a lift to uni! But it only takes 15/20 minutes and it's not that bad, just the hill is a pain! Living so close to town is way better than living on campus in my opinion, we can walk to Aldi/Asda which would not be possible from campus and for nights out it's so much better!
No worries!

We had no wifi for the first day but it tends to be ok now, sometimes just a little slow! The rooms do get very cold as the heating is only on for certain hours each day, it stopped working for 2 days a few weeks ago which was not nice!
The bathrooms are ok, there's 2 with a bath and shower and one just shower, they get cleaned once a week so they aren't that great by the day before they're cleaned but not as gross as I was expecting!
Mill Hall was my first choice accommodation yes, you'll almost definitely get your first choice I would't worry, I got in through clearing and got mine.
You don't get a choice in which floor you're on I don't think, they're all basically the same though.
I get a lift to uni! But it only takes 15/20 minutes and it's not that bad, just the hill is a pain! Living so close to town is way better than living on campus in my opinion, we can walk to Aldi/Asda which would not be possible from campus and for nights out it's so much better!

You have wifi? I thought it was an ethernet cable that Mill Hall has:beard: Damn, slow internet makes me angry:angry: :lol:
Oooh they have baths! Are the toilets in cubicles or are the bathroom like bathrooms you'd have at home, with a toilet and a shower in a room with a lock on the door?

Asda, do you mean the one near Morecambe? :s-smilie:

Is the weather in Lancaster really as bad as people say? It sounds like living in a permanent hurricane!

Also, are people living there nice? I'm not into clubbing and I'm scared people will ostracise me for it:frown:

Thank you soooo much, I really think I'm gonna firm Cumbria now:biggrin: :hugs:
(edited 8 years ago)
You have wifi? I thought it was an ethernet cable that Mill Hall has:beard: Damn, slow internet makes me angry:angry: :lol:
Oooh they have baths! Are the toilets in cubicles or are the bathroom like bathrooms you'd have at home, with a toilet and a shower in a room with a lock on the door?

Asda, do you mean the one near Morecambe? :s-smilie:

Is the weather in Lancaster really as bad as people say? It sounds like living in a permanent hurricane!

Also, are people living there nice? I'm not into clubbing and I'm scared people will ostracise me for it:frown:

Thank you soooo much, I really think I'm gonna firm Cumbria now:biggrin: :hugs:

We are the first year to have wifi! Before that it was the ethernet cable. We have 2 toilets in cubicles and the shower room has a toilet in. The 2 rooms with baths and showers don't have toilets in.

Yeah we walk to that one! It takes a while but the only other large supermarket nearby is Sainsbury's which is more expensive.

The weather is pretty horrible, to be honest it rains a lot but it could be worse!

Everyone I live with and who's on my course is absolutely lovely, we have a really social flat who sit and talk lots rather than everyone just hiding in their rooms, I wouldn't worry about not being into clubbing, some of my flatmates are the same and they're not left out because of it at all! Before I came to uni I'd only been clubbing twice (I had only recently turned 18) and I thought I'd hate it but I'd recommend giving it a go, particularly during freshers but if it's not really your thing I wouldn't worry, there's others in the same boat so you will be fine!

No worries, I'm glad! I'm so sad to be leaving after a year here (going on to do a new course at a new uni), it really is a lovely place and I've met amazing people, I hope you'll love it as much as I do!
We are the first year to have wifi! Before that it was the ethernet cable. We have 2 toilets in cubicles and the shower room has a toilet in. The 2 rooms with baths and showers don't have toilets in.

Yeah we walk to that one! It takes a while but the only other large supermarket nearby is Sainsbury's which is more expensive.

The weather is pretty horrible, to be honest it rains a lot but it could be worse!

Everyone I live with and who's on my course is absolutely lovely, we have a really social flat who sit and talk lots rather than everyone just hiding in their rooms, I wouldn't worry about not being into clubbing, some of my flatmates are the same and they're not left out because of it at all! Before I came to uni I'd only been clubbing twice (I had only recently turned 18) and I thought I'd hate it but I'd recommend giving it a go, particularly during freshers but if it's not really your thing I wouldn't worry, there's others in the same boat so you will be fine!

No worries, I'm glad! I'm so sad to be leaving after a year here (going on to do a new course at a new uni), it really is a lovely place and I've met amazing people, I hope you'll love it as much as I do!

Oooooh. Thank you so much! Just one last thing(promise)! What's the male:female ratio like in mill hall?

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!:hugs:
Oooooh. Thank you so much! Just one last thing(promise)! What's the male:female ratio like in mill hall?

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!:hugs:

No problem! Well on my floor there's 9 girls and 5 guys I think (lots of people have moved out and in so I think that's right!) I'm pretty sure there's more girls than boys on most floors but I can't say for definite.
No problem! Well on my floor there's 9 girls and 5 guys I think (lots of people have moved out and in so I think that's right!) I'm pretty sure there's more girls than boys on most floors but I can't say for definite.

Awesome, I was worried it would be like all girls:nooo:

Thank you so much, you're an angel! That's it now, I promise:biggrin:
Reply 9
Here's photos of what the room looks like. It does look like a bit of a prison when you first move in but once you decorate it yourself it'll look far better.
Original post by jade668
Here's photos of what the room looks like. It does look like a bit of a prison when you first move in but once you decorate it yourself it'll look far better.

Oooh that's quite nice, thanks for sharing!:teeth:
Original post by jade668

Also, I LOVE your duvet - where is it from?!
Reply 12
Also, I LOVE your duvet - where is it from?!

Thank you haha it's actually from poundstretchers lol
Reply 13
Do you get to know everyone on your floor or not? Thanks for the photos, been trying to find photos of Mill Hall for ages!
Reply 14
Original post by katyh664
Do you get to know everyone on your floor or not? Thanks for the photos, been trying to find photos of Mill Hall for ages!

Not all floors will have 15 people living on them and on my floor we had people moving out and new people moving in. But we're all friends and you'll also get to know people on other floors too. In my experience you're not gonna get on with everyone 100 percent all the time like you'll have your arguments and you'll probably be closer with certain people on your floor depending on your interests and your course but you'll get to know everyone for definite
I'm starting in Mill Hall in September. One huge question I have is what's it like for spiders??!! Like do you get a lot with it being an old building and woth the brick roofs???
Original post by Stephie22
I'm starting in Mill Hall in September. One huge question I have is what's it like for spiders??!! Like do you get a lot with it being an old building and woth the brick roofs???

Spiders oh my god:hide:
Reply 17
Nope I think I came across two spiders the entire time I lived there
Original post by jade668
Nope I think I came across two spiders the entire time I lived there

What are the baths like there? Are they really dirty?
Reply 19
What are the baths like there? Are they really dirty?

Actually no the cleaners come once a week and clean the baths and toilets and hoover the hallway. I thought it was completely gross the idea of sharing three bath/showers between 14 other people but honestly there's very little difference to using your shower at home with your family. Like if someone makes a mess they clean it generally. For example I wear a lot of fake tan so when I shower I make sure I don't leave behind any orange streaks. It takes two seconds to rinse down the bath and most people will do that. I didn't live with anyone gross either, they were all pretty hygienic so like I knew the bathroom wasn't going to be gross after they used the shower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending