The Student Room Group

Should i pick philosophy at A levels even though i am a muslim?

I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zed1_.
I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.

Well, I did R.S. at GCSE and I believe in God. We studied arguments for and against the existence of God, and I found it really interesting. However, to this day (I'm doing my A2s) now, I still believe in God :smile:
Reply 2
I've got Muslim friends who told me that they never expected how mind blowing arguments against God were when they picked philosophy lol
Im muslim and did A level philosophy i was literally 2 raw marks off an A (regret not getting a remark). Its such an easy subject which allows you to put more effort into your potentially harder alevels. Its super interesting and will really "open your mind" for the better or worse lol. Also, do you believe in islam or are you sort of just tagging along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zed1_.

Thanks.

Dude/gal just do what you want. Currently as one of my AS levels are philosophy and in the religious side of the course there are both arguments for and against Gods existence but it's shouldn't destroy your faith(depending on how strong it is).
Never fear education.
Reply 7
Original post by Fernando sucre
Im muslim and did A level philosophy i was literally 2 raw marks off an A (regret not getting a remark). Its such an easy subject which allows you to put more effort into your potentially harder alevels. Its super interesting and will really "open your mind" for the better or worse lol. Also, do you believe in islam or are you sort of just tagging along?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do believe in islam. I don't follow the religion because i was raised into or something. I truly believe in it.
Reply 8
Muslims are not allowed to think by themselves?
Reply 9
Original post by thefatone
Dude/gal just do what you want. Currently as one of my AS levels are philosophy and in the religious side of the course there are both arguments for and against Gods existence but it's shouldn't destroy your faith(depending on how strong it is).

Please list the arguments for God existence.
How do you define "faith"?
Original post by Josb

(please not i'm not religious or atheist)
So far the ones i have learnt of are
Teleological arguments
Cosmological arguments
Ontological argument

Currently doing Miracles

(i may have missed 1 or 2 topics)
Reply 12
wtf kinda ******** is this?

you're scared to think bc it might break your faith?
what are you? a chicken?

we humans are made to think - we're made to question and explore and study and find logical reason behind everything
we can't just live like sheep
this is coming from a Muslim

honestly it acc depresses me that people think like this... that you feel like you should just live under a rock bc you're scared it might break your faith
makes it sound like it's not strong in the first place anyway
I would only not recommend it as it was hard and not as engaging as other subjects that I did at a-level. Ended up with a 'c' in it. Why not politics, which will make you more aware of the country you live in and your rights as a citizen (I presume)?
EDIT: Also it will not make u question your faith as the philosophy taught was from a Christian perspective and therefore not anti-belief in God or the argument of creation (that God created the universe).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb

Why do you have to try to turn this into a religion vs non religion argument?
Honestly its a good subject to do which will open up your mind and give you a different perspective on things.
Reply 16
Original post by Zed1_.

Thanks.

I did philosophy as an A Level and I find it impossible to see how after looking at the arguments against God in such detail, how anyone can believe in God. it should be a good thing to challenge your beliefs in an evidence based way.
Doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Do a REAL subject.
Reply 18
Original post by alldayniqqa
Why do you have to try to turn this into a religion vs non religion argument?

It's a philosophy thread, I ask the questions I want. :h:
Original post by Josb
It's a philosophy thread, I ask the questions I want. :h:

No its not a philosophy thread. Its an advise thread for A level subjects???

Quick Reply

Latest