The Student Room Group

One in ten UK workers are not British

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
You do realise that there are many foreign professionals in the UK such as Doctors, bankers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We need Doctors in the NHS right now so I dont see the problem
Original post by Josb
It's not a good thing if they're working on the minimum wage with five dependents.

Only people on good wages should be admitted.

Who is going to do the minimum wage jobs? There are certain jobs that those born here/white British people just won't do, therefore it is vital to have these immigrants here to do them. Immigrants have built the skyscrapers in London and immigrants clean those skyscrapers. Many but not all immigrants have a work ethic 1000X better than some white people.
Original post by Josb
No, they are doing doing jobs that British people don't want to do at this rate. Importing migrants to work for nothing decreases low-skilled salaries and thus penalises the already poor.

I just saw that you have actually already replied to a similar comment. Trust me when I say that there are groups of white people who will never work or do the jobs that immigrants do. Nothing to do with the wage but the manual/dangerous nature of them...
Reply 23
Original post by lahorizon
Who is going to do the minimum wage jobs? There are certain jobs that those born here/white British people just won't do, therefore it is vital to have these immigrants here to do them. Immigrants have built the skyscrapers in London and immigrants clean those skyscrapers. Many but not all immigrants have a work ethic 1000X better than some white people.

British people. If nobody applies, then employers will have to rise their wages until they find someone.

Original post by LovepreetDhillon
They are doing jobs that British people dont want to do so what is the problem in it? Would you like it if Brits in other countries were treated like how we treat migrants in the UK?

Migrants are extremely well treated in the UK.
Reply 24
I just saw that you have actually already replied to a similar comment. Trust me when I say that there are groups of white people who will never work or do the jobs that immigrants do. Nothing to do with the wage but the manual/dangerous nature of them...

Native British won't do manual/dangerous jobs for the minimum wage, I agree. But if you stop importing cheap labour, then employers will have to increase their salaries to find someone.
Original post by Josb

No they are not. Newspapers like The Sun, Mail and express always ty to create stigma in communities. There is still racial abuse in our streets and nothing is being done about it. Moreover the rise of EDL and Britain First who go into towns and cities to victimise people (Especially of the faith of Islamic) is disgusting.
Can we not ignore the fact that actually there are also Americans, French and other white groups who would also fall under this category of 1/10. Yet, this thread is focusing on the Asian immigrants and how they are a burden? Why are we showing more respect to the often well off and affluent Americans and French who work here and demonising the minimum wage worker. Especially since we everyday rely much much more on the work of the minimum wage worker than the American banker who could easily be replaced by any of the currently unemployed university graduate?
Reply 27
They are doing jobs that British people dont want to do........

Is that actually true though? I think what you mean is that Brits don't want to do it for the same pay that a migrant will.
No they are not. Newspapers like The Sun, Mail and express always ty to create stigma in communities. There is still racial abuse in our streets and nothing is being done about it. Moreover the rise of EDL and Britain First who go into towns and cities to victimise people (Especially of the faith of Islamic) is disgusting.

Not all migrant come from the middle east. Many of them will be European.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29

They are not treated any worse in the UK than anywhere else. Life for the average migrant isn't a big bed of roses in France or Germany (who treated their Turkish migrant works about the same as you'd treat a dog)

I don't the EDL and Britain First worry too many. They're not exactly Moseley's Blackshirts.
Original post by Josb
British people. If nobody applies, then employers will have to rise their wages until they find someone.

Urm, lol. Have you ever spoken to a South Asian migrant?

And if employers increase the wages over all these industries, you do realise that the prices of your everyday products will also increase? How much do you think should be the appropriate wage for the jobs that British currently don't do?

Wrong.
Work ethic isn't something that's inherent to any race.
Like another poster rightly said, British people can do those jobs, just not for the low rates immigrant workers are paid.

And the fact you're saying the UK desperately needs migrants just so they can perform menial tasks is a bit odd. They aren't slaves.
Original post by Howard
Is that actually true though? I think what you mean is that Brits don't want to do it for the same pay that a migrant will.

Ok but we can't increase the price of delivering food or the wage of a cleaner to £15 an hour so that a white national comes and does it?

And if employers increase the wages over all these industries, you do realise that the prices of your everyday products will also increase? How much do you think should be the appropriate wage for the jobs that British currently don't do?

Compared to other EU countries they are.
Why do you think the Calais migrants will stop at nothing to get to the UK ?
The old Brits are lazy argument.. lmfao complete and disgusting fallacy

I wouldnt care that 1 in 10 are foreign but for the fact that we do not have a surplus of jobs.

That means people unemployed costing £'s -
Wages driven down
Employers being able to shaft employees (0 hour contracts, dispensing of staff when they like)

Its bad for everyone but big business
(edited 8 years ago)
So 90% are British.
They are doing jobs that British people dont want to do so what is the problem in it? Would you like it if Brits in other countries were treated like how we treat migrants in the UK?

Who was doing the jobs before the migrants then?
Of course not except that is how a lot of them are treated here.
I never said all white British people are lazy and every migrant is hard working. But there is an attitude amongst many migrants to work hard to prove themselves and also because they value it. If they come from a country in Asia, they know how much harder it could be to earn the same amount as they do here. Some white people expect everything to be handed to them and to be easy. I have seen it myself that certain migrants work very hard and very long hours for a low wage. Something that not many white British people do.

Original post by StrawbAri
Wrong.
Work ethic isn't something that's inherent to any race.
Like another poster rightly said, British people can do those jobs, just not for the low rates immigrant workers are paid.

And the fact you're saying the UK desperately needs migrants just so they can perform menial tasks is a bit odd. They aren't slaves.
Reply 38

With less immigration, housing prices would decrease, that would compensate the inflation in everyday products.

Ok but we can't increase the price of delivering food or the wage of a cleaner to £15 an hour so that a white national comes and does it?

Why do you need to keep mentioning the colour of their skin? You have white immigrants paid the minimum wage and black ones paid £50K. I would prefer to only admit the latter.
Original post by StrawbAri
Compared to other EU countries they are.
Why do you think the Calais migrants will stop at nothing to get to the UK ?

Because the wages here are much higher than back home.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Who was doing the jobs before the migrants then?
Not many people which is why Britain heavily encouraged immigration from Asia for the post War effort to rebuild Britain...

Also have you heard of the Atlantic slave trade?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending