The Student Room Group

One in ten UK workers are not British

Scroll to see replies

So...what's the issue?
Reply 41
Original post by lahorizon
Ok but we can't increase the price of delivering food or the wage of a cleaner to £15 an hour so that a white national comes and does it?

True. But by the same token a British bricklayer earning 15 quid an hour can't compete with a Polish bricklayer and do it for 7 quid an hour.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
With less immigration, housing prices would decrease, that would compensate the inflation in everyday products.

Why do you need to keep mentioning the colour of their skin? You have white immigrants paid the minimum wage and black ones paid £50K. I would prefer to only admit the latter.

Isn't it better to have our perfectly well trained university graduates actually do the job of the black person earning 50K? We all know that graduate unemployment is very high so why only the one that earns 50K. I think you are confused into thinking that just because they earn loads that they can then spend a lot/fuel consumer demand.

Currently, the UK is benefitting much more from low skilled immigrants than from high skilled immigrants for most professions.
Original post by Howard
True. But by the same token a British bricklayer earning 15 quid an hour can't compete with a Polish bricklayer and do it for 7 quid an hour.

Why must they earn £15 though? It is not a particularly high skilled job so why do they need to? What about those who earn £15 now... what should they earn? By saying this you are suggesting we increase the wages of every profession just so a British person gets off their sofa and goes to work. How about just cutting down on benefits and encouraging people to apply for jobs and not just increasing their wages.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Who was doing the jobs before the migrants then?

No one.
There isn't one but OP enjoys inciting conflict and further divide. This is evident since OP did not even bother to post his/her opinion in their post.

Original post by ElephantMemory
So...what's the issue?
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

This is it. If they don't work, they're scrounging off benefits. If they do, it's cause they're taking our jobs.

0/10 thread.
Reply 47

Also have you heard of the Atlantic slave trade?

Didn't know there were slave plantations in Britain.

Isn't it better to have our perfectly well trained university graduates actually do the job of the black person earning 50K? We all know that graduate unemployment is very high so why only the one that earns 50K. I think you are confused into thinking that just because they earn loads that they can then spend a lot/fuel consumer demand.

Currently, the UK is benefitting much more from low skilled immigrants than from high skilled immigrants for most professions.

Graduate unemployement exists because too many people go in higher education, because many technical jobs are taken by migrants.

If there were plenty of low-skilled jobs paid £15 per hour, you can bet that you would have much less people going to uni. Alas, these jobs are taken by Poles for £7 per hour...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Why must they earn £15 though? It is not a particularly high skilled job so why do they need to? What about those who earn £15 now... what should they earn? By saying this you are suggesting we increase the wages of every profession just so a British person gets off their sofa and goes to work. How about just cutting down on benefits and encouraging people to apply for jobs and not just increasing their wages.

Well, actually it is quite a skilled job. But that's beside the point.

Wages are driven by supply and demand. When supply suddenly increases (especially if caused by temporary migrant workers that can afford to work for less) that drives down rates. Suddenly, our British bricklayer who has a house and car he bought based on earning $15/hr can't pay his mortgage or his car loan because the rate he's forced to work at is now $7/hr

No. I'm absolutely NOT suggesting that the government somehow intervenes to ensure the wages of every profession are attractive enough to get people off the sofa. And yes, I agree with you that benefits could be trimmed to encourage some to get off their backsides. But there's no arguing the ill effects of migration on some workers resulting from the simple effects of market forces.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Didn't know there were slave plantations in Britain.

Graduate unemployement exists because too many people go in higher education, because many technical jobs are taken by migrants.

If there were plenty of low-skilled jobs paid £15 per hour, you can bet that you would have much less people going to uni. Alas, these jobs are taken by Poles for £7 per hour...

Under the British empire there was slavery.

Please tell me why low skilled jobs need to be £15 per hour in the first place? Many people go to university and spend 3 years at uni so that they can earn 15£ per hour. Why does a low skilled job need to earn £15? Those who invest in education and training should be rewarded with a high wage. Not someone who leaves after their GCSEs.
Reply 50
don't work:

'omg they're sponging welfare'

work:

'omg they're taking jobs'

create jobs

'omg everything is foreign owned'

I'm not racist but....
Original post by Howard
Well, actually it is quite a skilled job. But that's beside the point.

Wages are driven by supply and demand. When supply suddenly increases (especially if caused by temporary migrant workers that can afford to work for less) that drives down rates. Suddenly, our British bricklayer who has a house and car he bought based on earning $15/hr can't pay his mortgage or his car loan because the rate he's forced to work at is now $7/hr

No. I'm absolutely NOT suggesting that the government somehow intervenes to ensure the wages of every profession are attractive enough to get people off the sofa. And yes, I agree with you that benefits could be trimmed to encourage some to get off their backsides. But there's no arguing the ill effects of migration on some workers resulting from the simple effects of market forces.

I agree with you now but what I was saying was if you pay a bricklayer £15 then someone who currently earns £15 will ask for a pay rise too since they probably went through a decent amount of training to earn a relatively high wage of £15 per hour. Therefore, if they ask for a high wage then this will continue and everyone will demand a greater wage.

My main issue above all this is that OP was clearly inciting such argument by even posting this in the first place. There are countless threads about this topic and a new one appears everyday and its just unnecessary.
Did someone say immigrants? * Cocks shotgun *

Joking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53

Until 1833 with the passing of the Abolition Act. Arguably the whole empire was based on the subjection of majority peoples by a minority but that's a simplistic nationalist view perpetuated by the very people who claim to reject such notions, the idea of tribal unity in most countries is very nonsensical, and tribes often had higher levels of violence than so called civilised countries (and still do, see Steven Pinker).
Reply 54

Yes, but slaves didn't take the job of British workers, did they?

Please tell me why low skilled jobs need to be £15 per hour in the first place? Many people go to university and spend 3 years at uni so that they can earn 15£ per hour. Why does a low skilled job need to earn £15? Those who invest in education and training should be rewarded with a high wage. Not someone who leaves after their GCSEs.

People should be paid at the market price, according to the supply and demand rule. They shouldn't be paid more because they have a degree, how sick is that?
Above all, you cannot go and colonise half the world and expect their not to be consequences. Most of these immigrants had their nations robbed of anything and everything and its still happening now. British companies are exploiting Africa for even more diamonds, gold and cocoa. India's development was also stalled due to the actions of the British Empire. You can't expect the nationals of these countries to just live on nothing whilst the British live off what originally belonged to their nation.
Reply 56
I agree with you now but what I was saying was if you pay a bricklayer £15 then someone who currently earns £15 will ask for a pay rise too since they probably went through a decent amount of training to earn a relatively high wage of £15 per hour. Therefore, if they ask for a high wage then this will continue and everyone will demand a greater wage.

You seem to lack some basic knowledge of economics to understand the subject.

People may ask for better wages, but they won't be given more automatically.
Original post by z33
why is that a problem :/ isn't it a good thing that they're actually working?

It's a problem because we have roughly 1.7 million people unemployed. That means we've taken in about 1.7 million too many immigrants.
Reply 58
Above all, you cannot go and colonise half the world and expect their not to be consequences. Most of these immigrants had their nations robbed of anything and everything and its still happening now. British companies are exploiting Africa for even more diamonds, gold and cocoa. India's development was also stalled due to the actions of the British Empire. You can't expect the nationals of these countries to just live on nothing whilst the British live off what originally belonged to their nation.

Didn't know Britain colonised Poland.
Original post by Josb
Yes, but slaves didn't take the job of British workers, did they?

People should be paid at the market price, according to the supply and demand rule. They shouldn't be paid more because they have a degree, how sick is that?

I never said they did and that wasn't your question. You asked me who did the jobs before the immigrants and I replied with slaves. That is all.

Urm, supply for workers will be based on how skilled the worker is for the job? Sorry is this surprising to you?? wow.
If they have a degree they will be better skilled and more efficient for the job. That is what supply is based off?? What else would supply for labour be based off, how many hairs you have on your head?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending