The Student Room Group

Thoughts on death

So according to Science, when you die, and your brain stops working, that's it. Your consciousness is gone. No more feelings. No more memories. No more you.
I get that it is incomprehensible to the human mind, as everything I stated above is how we know the world and ourselves. In Christianity, Islam and Judaism (I believe) there is a heaven, which an ideal place, and hell, a bad place. I'm not sure exactly how good or bad you need to be to go to either, but if that were what happened after death, I'd be fine.
In my religion, Hinduism, it states that your soul may move into another body (reincarnation), or join with God. But either way, your consciousness and identity is gone, so it does not console me.

My main fear, is knowing that after I've done everything I can do in life, I'll just be gone. Extinguished.
My biggest hope is that I get to keep my mind somehow, because I'll go mad knowing that I won't.
Please don't advise me to enjoy life, as I already am, but rather give your thoughts on what happens after death, and how you console yourself/ cope with the thought of Eternal Oblivion.
:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
OK, but I'm not really sure what the purpose of your OP is and what it's trying to achieve?

His post was more useful than yours
Reply 2
Well as a Muslim I believe in heaven and hell.
The thought of dying doesn't really scare me, but I'm more scared about where I'll end up, so I try to do my best to be a good Muslim so I can achieve paradise (that's not the only reason why I try to be a good person though).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

how you console yourself/ cope with the thought of Eternal Oblivion.

Console yourself with the thought that you coped with oblivion for many billions of years before you were born and this experience will enable you to do so again. Then concentrate on doing something while you are here that means you won't be forgotten when you die.
Reply 4
Original post by HAnwar
Well as a Muslim I believe in heaven and hell.
The thought of dying doesn't really scare me, but I'm more scared about where I'll end up, so I try and to do my best to be a good Muslim so I can achieve paradise (that's not the only reason why I try to be a good person though).

i agree, the concept of death being so unexpected scares me though i am not scared of death. i just hope i die a good muslim :smile:
Am I the only one befuddled by the date this was posted?
Original post by HAnwar
so I can achieve paradise

Will it be that good for a Moslem woman? You'll have to watch your husband and his mates enjoy themselves with all the eternal virgins they are looking forward to. In Islam, the misogyny doesn't stop at death, you know.
Reply 7
I'm more scared of religion than death.
So according to Science, when you die, and your brain stops working, that's it. Your consciousness is gone. No more feelings. No more memories. No more you.
I get that it is incomprehensible to the human mind, as everything I stated above is how we know the world and ourselves. In Christianity, Islam and Judaism (I believe) there is a heaven, which an ideal place, and hell, a bad place. I'm not sure exactly how good or bad you need to be to go to either, but if that were what happened after death, I'd be fine.
In my religion, Hinduism, it states that your soul may move into another body (reincarnation), or join with God. But either way, your consciousness and identity is gone, so it does not console me.

My main fear, is knowing that after I've done everything I can do in life, I'll just be gone. Extinguished.
My biggest hope is that I get to keep my mind somehow, because I'll go mad knowing that I won't.
Please don't advise me to enjoy life, as I already am, but rather give your thoughts on what happens after death, and how you console yourself/ cope with the thought of Eternal Oblivion.

There's not much point in spending life worrying about eternal oblivion because you literally won't experience it. Do you worry before going to sleep each night knowing that you're basically unconscious the whole time?
Death is just a stage in life, and it's inevitable. There's nothing to fear.
I believe that when you die, you just stop existing. The thought of death doesn't really worry me, because I believe that I will stop being conscious. Therefore, I will not be aware that I am dead, so being in 'eternal oblivion' won't bother me

If you believe in science, then yeah that's it, you're dead. It's inevtible, nothing can change that.

In the Abrahamic faiths, then you will be sent to where you truly belong, hell or heaven.

But either way, unless you plan on living on your own in some secluded/isolated/uninhabitable place without coming into contact with society or the world then I'm pretty sure someone will remember who you were, and what you did, and in that way, you're not physically living but you're still attached to them in some way, and maybe therefore still living. So its not eternal oblivion, a couple of hundred years into the future, some teenager will be sitting by themselves in a room and will realise that some time ago someone like you existed and functioned and thought stuff just like they did, and through that thought you are brought back to life.. Or so I believe.
this thread was created in 1970 s/o to the og of tsr
Fearing death is one of the most futile things imaginable. When I'm dead I'll just be... dead. I won't know I'm dead or worry that I'm dead I'll just be dead.
Reply 14
Original post by mkap
i agree, the concept of death being so unexpected scares me though i am not scared of death. i just hope i die a good muslim :smile:

Insha Allah. Even just dying a Muslim will be a blessing.
Original post by Good bloke
Will it be that good for a Moslem woman? You'll have to watch your husband and his mates enjoy themselves with all the eternal virgins they are looking forward to. In Islam, the misogyny doesn't stop at death, you know.

There are no negative feelings in paradise including jealousy, so I wouldn't care :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope the OP hadn't died since posting up this thread in 1970 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Sociopath
this thread was created in 1970 s/o to the og of tsr

It wasnt, this website didn't exist in 1970, it's a glitch that occasionally arises.
I believe that when you die, the timestamp on all your posts goes back to Unix 3600.
Even if I die tomorrow, my consciousness won't be there so I'm not really scared about death, you know? I just want to not die slowly, that would be pretty lame.
Original post by Good bloke
Console yourself with the thought that you coped with oblivion for many billions of years before you were born and this experience will enable you to do so again. Then concentrate on doing something while you are here that means you won't be forgotten when you die.

The 77 virgins (or however many) thing is made up. Won't get into a debate but thought you should know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending