The Student Room Group

Should i pick philosophy at A levels even though i am a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alldayniqqa
No its not a philosophy thread. Its an advise thread for A level subjects???

... about philosophy.
Reply 21
It depends how strong your faith is.
I know two people who lost their faith after studying it (one of them wasn't even religious in the first place), but at the same time I had friends that studied it and it had no effect on them.
Original post by Josb
... about philosophy.

Right. But the central theme of this thread is the choice of taking it.

If someone was asking about whether or not they should take A level Mathematics it wouldn't be appropriate for to come in and ask to integrate by substitution or apply a binomial expansion.
Reply 23
I'm taking RS A Level with one of the two A2 modules being philosophy and I think it's strengthened my faith rather than weakening it as you leave about faith and it actually makes you think about it rather than blindly following it
In my class last year there were two Muslims and both said that it didn't really affect their faith. When I went on a Philosophy trip to a university with my class, the majority of people from other schools were actually Muslim as well.

I'm doing A2 philosophy, and a lot of the course is geared towards forming your own arguments, so even though you do learn about criticisms of God and religion, you can always use counter-arguments that support your personal beliefs. Even if you do want to argue from an atheistic viewpoint, you don't necessarily have to support it. I generally always argue from an atheistic viewpoint as I find it easier to critique things rather than support things, regardless of the actually argument.
it depends on what modules you take. if your school picks the political and tolerance ones you won't be touching religion in A-Level Philosophy.
Whether it strengthens your faith or breaks it, at least you would have the opportunity to actually think about it in depth?
God said always seek knowledge, the fact that Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) said that God said this and the fact that Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) supported education just means that its okay for you to learn what you want to learn. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, if you're having doubt about it then maybe philosophy isn't for you.
Reply 28
Original post by Zed1_.
I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.

pls don't do both business studies and economics :/
its philosophy... not atheism studies.
Lots of religious theologians and apologists have philosophy degrees (albeit they can be the most annoying people in planet sometimes) - but I guess religion apologetics isn't your career aspiration
Original post by Zed1_.
I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.

Urm not really, I'm a Muslim and I'm studying philosophy at a level, its my most interesting subject atm
Original post by HAnwar
It depends how strong your faith is.
I know two people who lost their faith after studying it (one of them wasn't even religious in the first place), but at the same time I had friends that studied it and it had no effect on them.

Is this why many Muslims refuse to expose themselves to the subject because they think they would lose faith? :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Absent Agent
Is this why many Muslims refuse to expose themselves to the subject because they think they would lose faith? :tongue:

Idk. Maybe, but then there are others who genuinely have no interest in the subject.
Original post by HAnwar
Idk. Maybe, but then there are others who genuinely have no interest in the subject.

But you cannot really decide to have no interest in a subject when you have never engaged in it, no?
Reply 34
Original post by Absent Agent
But you cannot really decide to have no interest in a subject when you have never engaged in it, no?

People have told me about the subject and it sounds boring and not my thing.
Original post by Zed1_.

Thanks.

Mate I do A2 philosophy and I am a Muslim. We are individuals. God gave us free will. It does not mean we get scared all the time and not explore other theories that oppose Islam. It's your choice if you want to accept these theories or not. Ignore what scholars tell you. Whatever is right or wrong, is up to God.
If you think you'll enjoy it,you should definitely pick it. Don't ever be afraid of being exposed to new ideas-even if they may contradict what you believe in. It might weaken your faith, but it could also strengthen it. Philosophy is a very interesting subject;It isn't all about arguing whether god exists or not!
I know many Muslims who studied it as it's compulsory in the French baccalaureate(French equivalent of A levels/IB) and still maintained their faith.
This reminds me of

"Is applying to Jesus College haram?" :toofunny:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi. I'm currently doing Philosophy at AS, despite not being a Muslim, I do have Muslim friends doing it; because they have an interest in it. From what I know their beliefs have not changed; but if you choose to do philosophy at a-level, you should be ready for a lot of debate about God and arguments based on the existence of God.
Original post by HAnwar
People have told me about the subject and it sounds boring and not my thing.

Philosophy is not just all about thinking about God, which you might find boring, it also about thinking consistently about nature and the things we come to know. Whatever your field of study, philosophy builds the foundation of its knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest