The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else struggling with the personal statement part of job applications? The content is coming easily, but it isn't flowing right. I just can't seem to form it appropriately to sound good... or is that just because I'm tired and trying too hard?
Both!!! Take a look at examples from various subjects. It helped me a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a learning support assistant whom currently works regularly with many fantastic but stressed teachers i would like to take off my imaginary hat and say a big good luck and well done to all of you.

Teaching is probably one of the more difficult and more kinetic jobs out there, especially with political interference, (sometimes) apathetic parents and pupils that gave up on themselves a long time ago. Obviously this does not reflect education as a whole, but going up against those factors take some guts, so good on all of you for doing so and i would like to wish you all the best of luck through your PGCEs.

I would love to teach. The students i can deal with, but i doubt i'd have enough thick skin to survive constant inspections and micromanagement. The PGCE proves that you folks are professionals, it's about time the folks at the top of the ladder started treating you like professionals!

PS: This is a personal opinion from me F.Huskinson, not representative of the GreatApesLearn team!
Best regards and best wishes and here's to the next generation of teachers!
FH
I have a job interview next week :biggrin:

I was so worried I wouldn't get one, even though the school I applied to is the one I'm doing my main placements in! Now I'm completely overthinking the clothes I should wear, and which class they will give me children from for my lesson demo...
I am dreading going back on Monday :frown: I really, really don't want to; It is too hard to do this course with a family. I feel like crying right now.
Original post by redmel1621
I am dreading going back on Monday :frown: I really, really don't want to; It is too hard to do this course with a family. I feel like crying right now.

You've made it this far! You can do it! Don't give up now. Apparently it all gets easier after Easter anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hug

I know that feeling of dread. Keep reminding yourself that once you're there and doing it that feeling will be gone. And make sure you're taking time with your family and for yourself right now, it's the best thing for you and the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will suck it up and get through it. Hopefully I will be fine once I'm back in the classroom. It is the early mornings and late nights I am dreading, more than any other aspect of going back. I have heard that my 2nd placement school is very nice though. In a bit of a poverty stricken area and the kids can be challenging, but the staff are amazing - is what I've been told :smile:
I will suck it up and get through it. Hopefully I will be fine once I'm back in the classroom. It is the early mornings and late nights I am dreading, more than any other aspect of going back. I have heard that my 2nd placement school is very nice though. In a bit of a poverty stricken area and the kids can be challenging, but the staff are amazing - is what I've been told :smile:

Just wanted to offer words of solidarity. Nothing else I can offer, I'm afraid.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Just wanted to offer words of solidarity. Nothing else I can offer, I'm afraid.

Thank you.

My husband wasn't very helpful with his retorts of 'this is your life from now on' and 'at least you're doing what you want' etc...

He is currently stressed out with 3 assignments due in the next couple of weeks, so I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I am trying not to moan or say too much about my worries as he needs to get on with his own studies.

I think I'm just worried this is a sign that I don't want to teach, rather than just a sign that it is hard and stressful. I am also enjoying being off with my kids far too much and never want it to end... roll on summer holidays :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you.

My husband wasn't very helpful with his retorts of 'this is your life from now on' and 'at least you're doing what you want' etc...

He is currently stressed out with 3 assignments due in the next couple of weeks, so I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I am trying not to moan or say too much about my worries as he needs to get on with his own studies.

I am just worried this is a sign that I don't want to teach, rather than just a sign that it is hard and stressful. I am also enjoying being off with my kids far too much and never want it to end... roll on summer holidays :wink:

It is hard to convey to non-teachers what the particular stress patterns are. I'm sure that's true of all jobs, but I can only comment on the one I know. My husband is also a teacher, so that helped a huge amount.

I don't know if it means you don't want to do it or not. I do know that doing my PGCE was one of the hardest years of my life, as was my NQT year. Things got easier after that, but the basic pattern is the same from year to year, and there's no real change in that. Teaching is a good job to combine with a family, though, and you need to take a long view of the pros and cons of always being off with your children in the holidays, which would not be the case with another kind of job. Only you can know how it works for you.
Question for teachers: when did you get your first pay? The LAs I want to work in pay on the 22nd or the last day of the month: is that likely to be September or October?

I'm trying to work out how much I need to save for rent and deposits.
Original post by JoannaMilano
Question for teachers: when did you get your first pay? The LAs I want to work in pay on the 22nd or the last day of the month: is that likely to be September or October?

I'm trying to work out how much I need to save for rent and deposits.

You'll be employed from the first of September, so I would assume 22nd/30th of September.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You'll be employed from the first of September, so I would assume 22nd/30th of September.

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

But I'm not an employer!
Hi, just wondering if I am starting in July as an unqualified teacher then move to M1 scale when I am qualified (this is what the letter of offer said) - do I get paid for summer holiday as well?
Thanks
Original post by kipikachuko88
Hi, just wondering if I am starting in July as an unqualified teacher then move to M1 scale when I am qualified (this is what the letter of offer said) - do I get paid for summer holiday as well?
Thanks

If you start in July then generally you do get paid for the summer holidays. But check for sure with your employer (it's not rude to ask - you need to know so you can plan ahead).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for my first job today. It's a really good school in a popular area and the job was open to 'real' teachers as well as NQTs, so I doubt I'll even be shortlisted for interview, but it feels good to have finally tried!
I applied for my first job today. It's a really good school in a popular area and the job was open to 'real' teachers as well as NQTs, so I doubt I'll even be shortlisted for interview, but it feels good to have finally tried!

Don't assume that - the job is always open to "real teachers" (they can't say NQTs only), and a lot of schools may have a quiet (or rather obvious on some job ads) preference for an NQT in reality.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate to say this, but the cheapness of NQTs puts them at an advantage! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending