The Student Room Group

Writing notes doesn't help.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to start revision for my final exams in June however, I can't get started. In the past recording notes and listening to them has helped me, this year I was trying a new approach and write notes. Writing notes just doesn't work for me AT ALL, I just seem to get distracted and not remember anything. Any advice on note writing?
Original post by ayemayfriday
Hey guys,

I'm trying to start revision for my final exams in June however, I can't get started. In the past recording notes and listening to them has helped me, this year I was trying a new approach and write notes. Writing notes just doesn't work for me AT ALL, I just seem to get distracted and not remember anything. Any advice on note writing?

How about flashcards? Ooo and using colours/highlighters and drawing diagrams works for me :smile:
Hey guys,

Whats your technique for writing notes? writing notes is great as it forces you to be more creative and expand on ideas! Loads of studies show that making notes helps with information retention. What I do is read a whole paragraph and write my notes without looking at the textbook and repeat for each paragraph.
Reply 3
if it doesnt work for you stop trying and move on
theres a guy in my comp class that just reads the textbook, does exam questions and listens in class

no notes, no writing anything nothing
he's the one who got 5 As at AS and an interview (or offer idk) from Cambridge...
try something else :smile:

also if you're gonna do notes
make sure you do detailed notes only on topics you completely dont understand
semi detailed for ones you do understand but are unsure off
and just bullet points for ones you are mostly confident on

and do them on the computer bc writing takes forever :smile:
Hey guys,

I'm in the same position I never write out notes as it takes so much time and I don't feel it works.
Past papers & reading typed up notes work for me.
I also read the mark schemes as a revison technique
Original post by cookiemonster15
How about flashcards? Ooo and using colours/highlighters and drawing diagrams works for me :smile:

I'll try drawing diagrams and spiderwebs. Thanks for the advice
Original post by Shiv is Light
Whats your technique for writing notes? writing notes is great as it forces you to be more creative and expand on ideas! Loads of studies show that making notes helps with information retention. What I do is read a whole paragraph and write my notes without looking at the textbook and repeat for each paragraph.

I usually just read a section and write it down, I try to reword it but find myself writing down the exam same thing as in the textbook. I also feel like it takes me ridiculously long to write a set of notes, a section in a textbook could take me about a week.
Original post by z33
if it doesnt work for you stop trying and move on
theres a guy in my comp class that just reads the textbook, does exam questions and listens in class

no notes, no writing anything nothing
he's the one who got 5 As at AS and an interview (or offer idk) from Cambridge...
try something else :smile:

also if you're gonna do notes
make sure you do detailed notes only on topics you completely dont understand
semi detailed for ones you do understand but are unsure off
and just bullet points for ones you are mostly confident on

and do them on the computer bc writing takes forever :smile:

Great advice! I'll try out doing varying detail notes.
Reply 8
Hey guys,

I get notes online for my subject, and if I am bothered to write notes I do so in terms of bullet points. Make sure its straight forward, gets to the point and ensure that its short.

I also get a bunch of mini questions at the bottom of my notes, which helps me summarise what I learned :tongue:

Edit: try to look at more than one source to obtain notes from.
I usually just read a section and write it down, I try to reword it but find myself writing down the exam same thing as in the textbook. I also feel like it takes me ridiculously long to write a set of notes, a section in a textbook could take me about a week.

you really shouldn't write word for word as it becomes very passive. Maybe making notes isn't your style of learning. You should try other things like making mind maps or posters :tongue:
Reply 10
The best form of revision is simply repeated testing (flashcards, where you put information at the front of the card and a question at the back of the card, and you do the questions without looking at the card), spread out over a long period of time.

I would take your notes and break them into bite-sized chunks/paragraphs. Then you can write a question that checks your knowledge for each paragraph and do those. I know this technique sounds dull, and for some it can take a while, but you WILL get the information hammered into your head.
Reply 11
Hey guys,

1) Don't write notes on a computer unless you have a computer in an exam; you're much more likely to remember things you wrote by hand.

2) If you're a visual learner, colour-coding is a lifesaver. I have a system that goes something like: main colour for subtopic (which I use to write the important words in my bullet points in), a green for quotes, a dark purple to bubble off extra info.

3) If you're someone that likes to draw and is a more kinaesthetic learner, make diagrams. Don't just copy them out a textbook, though - give them a bit of an arty twist, or colour them in, or whatever works for you.

4) Use boxes, circles, clouds, different fonts, capital letters, dotted lines, arrows. If you have variety, you're more likely to retain info than if it's just a page of black notes.

5) Make mindmaps!! Use them to link ideas.

6) When making revision notes, use all your resources, your textbook is only one of them . You're writing it out (which, btw, is a HUGE no) because you're relying on it too much. Use your class notes, your sheets, the internet (tsr has a lot of resources!).

7) Make detailed notes, then condense -> semi-detailed notes -> to one/two word summary notes that trigger the information from set of notes 1.

8) Adapt written notes into flashcards/foldables (which is where you fold paper or flashcards in half and write the prompt word on one half and the definition on the other half, so you can test yourself!). This works especially well for quotes, definitions, causes and outcomes.

9) Mix it up. Don't just make notes; try recording them as you used to, try creating songs, watching youtube videos, documentaries.

10) Use a pomodoro timer (google it!) to time your work. Do not make notes for 3 hours at a time; you'll be tired and become a passive learner that doesn't retain anything.

I hope any of that helps?? Remember that, if this kind of note taking doesn't work for you, do not just read your stuff! Even if you will never look at it again, when you read scribble something down, it doesn't have to be neat. You will retain so much more by writing and getting actively involved in your revision.

Quick Reply

Latest