The Student Room Group

Should i pick philosophy at A levels even though i am a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
This reminds me of

"Is applying to Jesus College haram?" :toofunny:

looooool dead :rofl: that was a thing?

Original post by Student403
No but you have to say Jesus Alayhi as salaam College each time

LMAOOO ffs :rofl::rofl: ty for the lols m8
Original post by Fiduciam
LMAOOO ffs :rofl::rofl: ty for the lols m8

OMG I remember that now :rofl:

What a top thread.. 10/10 bants
Reply 44
Islam is scared of an A level subject ?
Original post by champ_mc99
Doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Do a REAL subject.

it is, it makes you form an opinion on something then find evidence to back up your claim then tell someone else they're wrong and you're right
Reply 46
Original post by Absent Agent
Philosophy is not just all about thinking about God, which you might find boring, it also about thinking consistently about nature and the things we come to know. Whatever your field of study, philosophy builds the foundation of its knowledge.

Meh. Still not my type.
Original post by TeeEm
Islam is scared of an A level subject ?

Islam doesn't actually have problems with thinking rationally and critically. It is of our nature that avoids change, especially change in our thoughts.

As Albert Einstein said;

"The measure of intelligence is the ability to change."

Spoiler

"The mark of an intelligent man is the ability to entertain an idea without accepting it."
Lol since like 98% of the kids in my school are muslim, the Philosophy and Ethics class is all Muslim. My friend does it and i asked her if It ever caused her to challenge her faith. She basically said that the arguments go over her head. She learns it for the exam, but doesn't seriously try to contemplate or understand them
Original post by High Stakes

Spoiler

"The mark of an intelligent man is the ability to entertain an idea without accepting it."

Lol that quote actually came to my mind when reading this thread :lol:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Lol since like 98% of the kids in my school are muslim , the Philosophy and Ethics class is all Muslim. My friend does it and i asked her if It ever caused her to challenge her faith. She basically said that the arguments go over her head. She learns it for the exam, but doesn't seriously try to contemplate or understand them

You go to school in Saudi lmao?
Original post by childofthesun
Lol that quote actually came to my mind when reading this thread :lol:

Marry me? :colondollar:

But the problem is not in entertaining a thought, but of knowing it to be true without accepting it.
Reply 54
Marry me? :colondollar:

I see.. :sigh:
Original post by Absent Agent
But you cannot really decide to have no interest in a subject when you have never engaged in it, no?

But you can't just take risks when it's a subject you're going to be studying in depth for the next two years... why are you trying to turn this into "muslims don't do philosophy because it could challenge their faith" when several muslims in the thread have already said that they chose philosophy and it didnt affect them
Original post by ivy.98
I see.. :sigh:

Baby it was just an expression of admiration! You don't have to worry. You're the only one for me. xx
Reply 58

I studied philosophy in college and I hated it, principally because I found it was just a memorising quote competition.

Can you explain your quote in your own words?
Pick if you want, why be afraid to have your beliefs challenged? I know there are at least 3 religious people in our philosophy class (1 muslim) who still seem to stand by their faith in spite of the philosophical arguments used.

Quick Reply

Latest