The Student Room Group

GCSE German help?!?

Hey!
So, back in year 10 I did a mock listening and reading paper in German (foundation) and I got two D's. I thought I'd improved, but when my teacher entered me into the higher papers this year for our mocks, I got a B and a U?!

The B was in reading, and I was really happy with that. I got the U in listening! My teacher told me I was just 'having a bad day' but even when I do listening exercises in class I really struggle to focus and pick out key words.

Do you have any advice/tips for doing a listening paper? Luckily, my coursework is at a high A/A* (I think) and I'm relatively okay with the reading, so I have a little room for error. I just don't want it to be the cause of my grade dropping.

Also, if worst comes to worst, is it possible to do one paper on foundation and the other on higher?

Thanks in advance!:smile:
Grace
Original post by graciousgannon
Hey!
So, back in year 10 I did a mock listening and reading paper in German (foundation) and I got two D's. I thought I'd improved, but when my teacher entered me into the higher papers this year for our mocks, I got a B and a U?!

The B was in reading, and I was really happy with that. I got the U in listening! My teacher told me I was just 'having a bad day' but even when I do listening exercises in class I really struggle to focus and pick out key words.

Do you have any advice/tips for doing a listening paper? Luckily, my coursework is at a high A/A* (I think) and I'm relatively okay with the reading, so I have a little room for error. I just don't want it to be the cause of my grade dropping.

Also, if worst comes to worst, is it possible to do one paper on foundation and the other on higher?

Thanks in advance!:smile:
Grace

Think it is but might not be worth it. If you just revise all the vocabulary and make sure you understand the proper pronunciation then you will be fine.

I sort of have the same problem, A* in my reading and like a C in my listening. Although it honestly depends on the paper as I got an A in another year.

Hopefully the exam content is in our favour :wink:
Thanks for the help! Fingers crossed everything goes well. Good luck for your exam too:smile:
Reply 3
I am a current year 11 in the exact same position and can say for a fact the higher papers are damn hard.My writing and speaking is A/A* level as I have a good memory. When it comes to those papers I manage to get E's and U's. I got all E's last and one D last year and all E's and U's this year. You can do one higher and foundation paper and still get a B my teacher said. i think I will just go for the foundation papers as the higher papers can be a bitch and my teacher said I could potentially drop to a D grade if those papers go wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest