The Student Room Group

Work experience/volunteering abroad?

While I'm there, is there anything else that I should do that may enhance my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ii220
For the past few months, I've been trying to sort out work experience abroad, and I've finally sorted some out for the Summer Holidays - in India!

I'm going to be shadowing a doctor over there for 1 week, and then I'll be shadowing another doctor in another hospital for 5 days.

While I'm there, is there anything else that I should do that may enhance my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm currently volunteering at a care home. Apparently as important as a hospital placement. Can I ask how much you had to pay and if any was paid for you?
Have you tried volunteering? maybe during the weekends?
Original post by champ_mc99
Congrats! I'm currently volunteering at a care home. Apparently as important as a hospital placement. Can I ask how much you had to pay and if any was paid for you?

btw, just wondering, have you guys seek help from organizations or companies when you volunteer? or just went to the country and find the institution and applied as a volunterr?
Reply 4
Original post by ii220
For the past few months, I've been trying to sort out work experience abroad, and I've finally sorted some out for the Summer Holidays - in India!

I'm going to be shadowing a doctor over there for 1 week, and then I'll be shadowing another doctor in another hospital for 5 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's great, how did you arrange that?
Original post by yourJeremyL
btw, just wondering, have you guys seek help from organizations or companies when you volunteer? or just went to the country and find the institution and applied as a volunterr?

People from my school volunteered at this care home already before. So because there was already a link between them and my school, I just emailed them and got a place.
If you are going to talk about it on your PS, make sure that you get some kind of proof / letter with hospital or clinic stamp etc. Even if it's in another language. It can be extremely hard to get this in retrospect if you get back to the UK and a uni wants proof and you have to then try and organise that from the UK (depending on how rural you'll be in india, of course).
Have fun!
Well that is a good news! I bet very fulfilling!
Original post by champ_mc99
People from my school volunteered at this care home already before. So because there was already a link between them and my school, I just emailed them and got a place.
Original post by junior.doctor
If you are going to talk about it on your PS, make sure that you get some kind of proof / letter with hospital or clinic stamp etc. Even if it's in another language. It can be extremely hard to get this in retrospect if you get back to the UK and a uni wants proof and you have to then try and organise that from the UK (depending on how rural you'll be in india, of course).
Have fun!

Replying to underline this. This is can be a very frustrating roadblock that a lot of people miss.
Original post by ProudParent75
Replying to underline this. This is can be a very frustrating roadblock that a lot of people miss.

I'm pretty sure all of he hospital gives out certificates or any proof that you participated in a volunteer works or the likes. You just have to be vigilant about it just in case hey forgot to give it out.
I'm pretty sure all of he hospital gives out certificates or any proof that you participated in a volunteer works or the likes. You just have to be vigilant about it just in case hey forgot to give it out.

pretty much. it's just very common to overlook this sort of thing, and it's funny how a slip of paper can invalidate a lot of time and money spent on your time abroad.
pretty much. it's just very common to overlook this sort of thing, and it's funny how a slip of paper can invalidate a lot of time and money spent on your time abroad.

Can't you just give out contact details of the organisation? I was only asked for the phone number/ email.
Original post by RainandFlowers
Can't you just give out contact details of the organisation? I was only asked for the phone number/ email.

you can certainly do that, but there are some cases where they just lose track. better safe than sorry, is all i'm saying. :smile:
you can certainly do that, but there are some cases where they just lose track. better safe than sorry, is all i'm saying. :smile:

I agree with @ProudParent75, @RainandFlowers. You never know when they will forget you as a volunteer or If they even remembered you. So just ask for a proof that you really did volunteer for them with their signatures on it.
I agree with @ProudParent75, @RainandFlowers. You never know when they will forget you as a volunteer or If they even remembered you. So just ask for a proof that you really did volunteer for them with their signatures on it.

You can even be extra sure by taking a picture with the coordinator. It's not a big deal.
You can even be extra sure by taking a picture with the coordinator. It's not a big deal.

If you did, and they said they can't remember you, you shove that photo up their arse LOL. But to be formal, I guess I would really stick with certification

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending