The Student Room Group

Rejection and apply to other college

I got rejected from the University of Cambridge. So I have a queston about new application to other college of the University of Cambridge.

Q1. Is it possible to apply to other college of the University of Cambridge after I already got rejected from the University of Cambridge? If it is possible, do I need to make new UCAS application and supplements for Cambridge undergraduate applicaion?

Thanks for reading this thread and let me know, if you have proper solution.
Reply 1
Original post by kalseari
I got rejected from the University of Cambridge. So I have a queston about new application to other college of the University of Cambridge.

Q1. Is it possible to apply to other college of the University of Cambridge after I already got rejected from the University of Cambridge? If it is possible, do I need to make new UCAS application and supplements for Cambridge undergraduate applicaion?

First, get your feedback from this year's application.

Then, if you really want to, apply again in October. And yes it's usual to apply to a different college if you are a reapplicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what was ur interview score ?
Reply 3

You cannot apply again in this round. You can apply again next autumn for admission in October 2017. You need to identify why you didn't get an offer and whether you can improve on that aspect. For this you need to ask for, and receive your feedback,
So for example if you didn't get in because of poor exam results it will depend on this summer's exam results. If you didn't get in because of lack of fluency in English you could spend the summer working on that.
If your interview was poor it may be hard to improve sufficiently.
Whilst it is a good idea to change college it is worth being aware that the standards required to gain entry do not vary and it is only nuances in decision making priorities that change.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm considering reapplying as well, but the college to which I originally applied was by far my favourite. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell my why it's ill-advised to reapply to the same college, and if there will any problems if I do choose the same college again?
Reply 5
Original post by Shnufulduful
I'm considering reapplying as well, but the college to which I originally applied was by far my favourite. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell my why it's ill-advised to reapply to the same college, and if there will any problems if I do choose the same college again?

What was the feedback from your college?

If you failed to convince them the first time, how can you be confident you can convince them if you re-apply to the same college? A different college gives you the chance of a fresh start.

But some people do re-apply to their original college and are successful...
Reply 6

If you significantly strengthen your application or if remains weak it will make no difference. The theory is that most people can only improve by a small margin and so the discretionary elements such as interview and differing strengths of your application can be what makes the difference. A different college admissions tutor may see something in your potential that the first missed.
The correct question is: do you prefer your second choice college to your second choice university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What was the feedback from your college?

If you failed to convince them the first time, how can you be confident you can convince them if you re-apply to the same college? A different college gives you the chance of a fresh start.

But some people do re-apply to their original college and are successful...

I haven't yet received my feedback, so I'm currently working on the assumption that it will be (at least in part) to do with the fact that my grades weren't the most convincing (89% average, predicted A*AA). I intend to reapply only if my grades are above the entry requirements (i.e. A*A*A). While it wasn't perfect, I don't believe my rejection was based on a poor interview performance - none of them went badly, although as soon as I left I thought of hundreds of better things I could have said instead.

If it transpires that I was rejected because the interviews just weren't able to make up for the potential shortcomings in my A levels, would it be advisable to reapply, or would you still advise that I apply to a different college anyway?

I guess it is all speculation until the feedback comes through.
I'm thinking of reapplying too and the college I applied to last time was by far my favourite... I'm also torn between History and ASNaC. I applied to History last time but I'm still not sure which I'd prefer to study. Has anyone had feedback yet? It feels like a long time since I requested it. I'm assuming it was mostly down to having pretty unimpressive AS (all As, but 91% average) and not doing enough at interview to make up for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by empressbethie
I'm thinking of reapplying too and the college I applied to last time was by far my favourite... I'm also torn between History and ASNaC. I applied to History last time but I'm still not sure which I'd prefer to study. Has anyone had feedback yet? It feels like a long time since I requested it. I'm assuming it was mostly down to having pretty unimpressive AS (all As, but 91% average) and not doing enough at interview to make up for it.

That's absurd. You put too much emphasis on the grades. They aren't what gets you in - everyone applying pretty much doesn't have anything below 80%. The interview is what's most important.

Sincerely,
UofCambridge student
Original post by foreignbloke
That's absurd. You put too much emphasis on the grades. They aren't what gets you in - everyone applying pretty much doesn't have anything below 80%. The interview is what's most important.

Sincerely,
UofCambridge student

The statistics would suggest otherwise. While the interview is no doubt an important part of the process, grades would appear to be the priority in an application. I'm sure one could find a distinct correlation between academic performance and interview performance, yet considering that Cambridge requests so much information about an applicant's grades, it's evident that they're extremely important. Of the applicants given offers that I know, all of their predicted grades were higher than those requested by Cambridge. I'm not suggesting that it's a necessary prerequisite, but you can't dispute the importance of high UMS at AS level.
Reply 11

Sincerely,
UofCambridge student

No. The admissions tutors have said many times that the interview is no more or less important than other parts of the application. They take everything into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't yet received my feedback, so I'm currently working on the assumption that it will be (at least in part) to do with the fact that my grades weren't the most convincing (89% average, predicted A*AA). I intend to reapply only if my grades are above the entry requirements (i.e. A*A*A). While it wasn't perfect, I don't believe my rejection was based on a poor interview performance - none of them went badly, although as soon as I left I thought of hundreds of better things I could have said instead.

If it transpires that I was rejected because the interviews just weren't able to make up for the potential shortcomings in my A levels, would it be advisable to reapply, or would you still advise that I apply to a different college anyway?

I guess it is all speculation until the feedback comes through.

How you thought the interviews went can be very different from how the interviewers assessed how you performed at the interviews.

The fact that you were invited to interview in spite of lower than typical grades of applicants suggest they suspect your schooling background disadvantaged you and they wanted to see how much potential you have and whether Cambridge is a right environment for you. (= if you can benefit from their teaching style and if you can survive)
If that's the case, they sometimes try not to push you too much and try to get the best out of you in a more encouraging atmosphere. So some applicants may get a wrong impression the interviews went very well.
A lot of successful applicants thought their interviews were disastrous.

It's possible your assumption that your interview performance wasn't enough to compensate for your grades, but there might've been other reasons, too, as they do look at all aspects of application individually and take a holistic approach in assessing each candidate. We just won't know how they assessed you until you get the feed back.
And when you get it, please think very carefully and rationally if you really want to reapply or not.
Getting an offer from Cambridge should never be the goal, because the real journey begins after you start there and it's extremely intensive and demanding environment.
Cambridge is not for everyone. And there're many excellent universities out there where you can be happier, too.

Have read this article?
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

Edit:
And don't worry about your first choice college was by far your favourite.
I know many Cambridge students over decades but have yet met any who doesn't think their college is not the best, even if they were pooled to the college from a college they had thought was their favourite when choosing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No. The admissions tutors have said many times that the interview is no more or less important than other parts of the application. They take everything into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, they do turn a blind eye on somethings.
Trust me, they do turn a blind eye on somethings.

im a perfect example. my interviews went well but i didnt get an offer
Does anyone know the post-A-level autopool criteria please?
Reply 16
Does anyone know the post-A-level autopool criteria please?

It was A*A*A* - but there's no guarantee it won't change in future cycles though.
Original post by jneill
It was A*A*A* - but there's no guarantee it won't change in future cycles though.

Thank you! (You are brilliant)
Reply 18
Thank you! (You are brilliant)

I know

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending