The Student Room Group

Non-Muslim wearing a hijab

Scroll to see replies

I wonder why they were organising the 'challenge'. There's nothing wrong with wearing a headscarf, but it does seem a very peculiar thing to have someone put on an item of clothing linked to a particular religion and then take pictures. I've never heard of any other religions doing this. Would you have done it if it were a niqab or a burka? I'm curious - did you get invited to a mosque at some point?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Y'all don't think twice before dressing e.g. a 'sexy nun'/Satan yet feel they have to ask permission before wearing a scarf!? :facepalm2:

#MoralInconsistency

#PanderingToIslamism

#OneRuleForUsAnotherRuleForThem

I don't dress a as a sexy nun/Satan or anything like that. I actually do cosplay, but I've only ever cosplayed males! And believe me, I don't dress up as a sexy Ben 10 :P
Original post by Anonbabes
Hey girl! Do what you want to do. As a hijabi (Muslim) girl I don't find it offensive, just find it surprising that it's the first time I heard something like this.

What hijab styles have u tried, and will you be influenced to change the way you dress?

Just to point out, if I saw a hijabi I'll automatically assume she's Muslim.

😊😊😆😆😆

Thanks, glad to hear it! The first time I tried it was actually today, so I've only ever tried the version in the picture I attached. I probably won't change the way I dress (generally I wear jeans and t-shirts or dresses)
Original post by Duncan2012
I wonder why they were organising the 'challenge'. There's nothing wrong with wearing a headscarf, but it does seem a very peculiar thing to have someone put on an item of clothing linked to a particular religion and then take pictures. I've never heard of any other religions doing this. Would you have done it if it were a niqab or a burka? I'm curious - did you get invited to a mosque at some point?

It's essentially to raise awareness of what the hijab actually means, as there is a lot of stigma around the hijab at present. They tell us about the religion and then take pictures to show that anyone can wear a hijab and there's nothing wrong with it.

I would happily try on a niqab or a burka, which they did in fact have but they offered me a hijab to try, so I did. No, they never invited me to a mosque.
Original post by georgiaswift
Thanks, glad to hear it! The first time I tried it was actually today, so I've only ever tried the version in the picture I attached. I probably won't change the way I dress (generally I wear jeans and t-shirts or dresses)

What clothes would you expect a Hijabi to wear?
I do find this a bit offensive OK. Hijab is a religious piece of clothing meant to signify your connection to islam and allah, not as a fashion accessory to look pretty in. if you knew anything about it then you'd know that looking pretty goes against its purpose as hijab is supposed to lessen a girl's beauty. If you're getting more attention with it on then it hasn't served its function at all.
Reply 86
image.jpegWearing lots of layers so not looking my best but here's the pics to prove it did happen.

You look stunning!
Original post by Allah's Hijabi
I do find this a bit offensive OK. Hijab is a religious piece of clothing meant to signify your connection to islam and allah, not as a fashion accessory to look pretty in. if you knew anything about it then you'd know that looking pretty goes against its purpose as hijab is supposed to lessen a girl's beauty. If you're getting more attention with it on then it hasn't served its function at all.

shhh your just jelly that she looks pretty in it and that guys wouldn't find you hot even if you took your scarf off
I'm going to place this here as Maajid Nawaz argues against this behaviour better than I ever could.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/29/the-great-hypocritical-muslim-cover-up.html
Original post by miss.lopi
shhh your just jelly that she looks pretty in it and that guys wouldn't find you hot even if you took your scarf off

Thank you :smile: in Islam a hijab is worn for modesty, so that their hair is only seen by their partner. Some Muslims choose to cover their whole face as a symbol of modesty, again so that it is for their partner and their partner alone to see.

Oh whoops you seem to have misinterpreted my question, I know why the hijab is worn (i am muslim and i wear one haha)

I meant why are you doing it?
Original post by miss.lopi

omg that is so rude !
why do you even care if other people find it offensive? rofl

So my question is: would it be offensive if I wore one occasionally, as I'm not a Muslim? Or would it be seen as solidarity and acceptable?

At this point it's just a hat.
image.jpegWearing lots of layers so not looking my best but here's the pics to prove it did happen.

Aww you're so pretty, you look like the girl from American Beauty (Mena Suvari). I'm not religious but I don't see it as an issue at all! Wear what makes you feel good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Ignore some of the ignorant comments...as a Muslim I wouldn't find it offensive at all, nor do I think many others would. If you want to wear it more for the fashion side of things rather than modesty then that's upto you. It's just a piece of cloth. In Islam terms hijab doesn't just refer to clothes but also how someone acts etc.
Hi guys,
I'm an atheist but a group of Muslim girls have set up the hijabi challenge at my university, which involves non Muslims wearing a hijabi and writing down how they feel while wearing it. I did it and I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

So my question is: would it be offensive if I wore one occasionally, as I'm not a Muslim? Or would it be seen as solidarity and acceptable?

Why on eath would it be offensive? If it looks good den rock it
Hi guys,
I'm an atheist but a group of Muslim girls have set up the hijabi challenge at my university, which involves non Muslims wearing a hijabi and writing down how they feel while wearing it. I did it and I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

You tried the hijab for a day thing too? I never picture myself doing something like that, but somehow it found me.

It's not offensive for a non-Muslim to wear hijab. It isn't only a religious accesory, it's also cultural.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending