The Student Room Group

Don't know whether to do biomed!!

I've had an offer this year to study biomed at Bath University. I love the idea of going to Bath university but the course really isn't appealing to me. I wanted to do medicine but my BMAT scores were miles too low + I had little work experience as I only decided I loved medicine when I started applying to unis which was miles too late:frown:

I dont know what to do at all... I could take a gap year and apply to medicine next year but what if I don't get into any of them?? I would have wasted a whole year of my life. Plus, I I am already a year behind because redid a year of college (I have a mitigating circumstances for the first year I did). So I am going to be really old by the time I get to uni, 21, an age when everyone else has finished.

Furthermore, I love maths just as much as science so I was wondering whether there was a possibility I could transfer over to an accounting course at Bath Uni? Though I have already applied to biomed

Any opinions would be hugely appreciated!!!!!
I have been doing Biomed at an RG uni and have really enjoyed my course and learnt lots though i always new i wanted to do biomed. Perhaps give it a go as it could give you an insight into medicine (( many of my lecturers are medical doctors!) and you could apply for PG Med with experience?
Original post by 32908
I've had an offer this year to study biomed at Bath University. I love the idea of going to Bath university but the course really isn't appealing to me. I wanted to do medicine but my BMAT scores were miles too low + I had little work experience as I only decided I loved medicine when I started applying to unis which was miles too late:frown:

I dont know what to do at all... I could take a gap year and apply to medicine next year but what if I don't get into any of them?? I would have wasted a whole year of my life. Plus, I I am already a year behind because redid a year of college (I have a mitigating circumstances for the first year I did). So I am going to be really old by the time I get to uni, 21, an age when everyone else has finished.

Furthermore, I love maths just as much as science so I was wondering whether there was a possibility I could transfer over to an accounting course at Bath Uni? Though I have already applied to biomed

Any opinions would be hugely appreciated!!!!!

Just to point out, age isn't really a huge factor. Especially in medicine when the age range of people studying it is huge!

A gap year can be a great thing. Get experience, earn some money, gain some independence. Going straight to uni at 18 isn't the be all and end all. It can be nice to have a bit of a break from education.

If you want to do medicine, don't do biomed straight away. Try and get in to medicine. Going the graduate route is much harder.
Original post by 32908
x

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51483781

You might be interested in this thread linked above and the participants in discussion. (The thread has been revived recently) It seems some have quite a regret in studying 'biomedical science'. You may want to discuss why? with them. Personally, I dropped out of biomedical and changed courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Do you mind me asking why you changed courses?
Original post by 32908
Do you mind me asking why you changed courses?

After much thought and research in to the job opportunities available and questioning the usefulness of the degree, the nature of the course, that thread linked, talks with friends who all changed their biomed courses...I eventually decided to leave the course. But I would recommend you do what you enjoy and seek to do and a degree that has much much job opportunities available.
Reply 6
Was it difficult to change courses? I was considering attempting the course and if I don't enjoy it, transfer to another course. Is it possible to transfer to medicine?
Original post by 32908
Was it difficult to change courses?

Somewhat yes. There were few alternative courses available and the decision had to be made quickly, so one may still have time to catch up.

I was considering attempting the course and if I don't enjoy it, transfer to another course. Is it possible to transfer to medicine?

You could try out the course for a weeks, to ascertain if it's for you. As for the transfer to medicine, I'm not sure. You'll have to refer to someone on medicine or experience in changing to that course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 32908
Was it difficult to change courses? I was considering attempting the course and if I don't enjoy it, transfer to another course. Is it possible to transfer to medicine?

A few courses offer transfers to medicine, but they only ever have a few places for those at the top of the year. If you want to do medicine get the grades and reapply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending