The Student Room Group

4 A levels or 3 A levels and an EPQ

So I'm going to start a levels after my GCSE's and I plan on doing Maths, chemistry and psychology. I can't decide on my 4th a level (considering biology) which I will drop. So should I do the EPQ instead? Or should I do 4 A levels?
If I do 4 A levels I will not do the EPQ btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is an EPQ?
I'd probably do 3 and the EPQ - that's what my school is making us do anyway haha and they think that it's the best option for all of us :smile:
Reply 3
EPQ is equivalent to an AS level, so it's basically personal preference.

Had a bad EPQ experience myself, so I'd recommend doing the 4, but other people will say otherwise :cute:
Original post by surina16
I'd probably do 3 and the EPQ - that's what my school is making us do anyway haha and they think that it's the best option for all of us :smile:

Oh okay thanks! what a levels are you planning to do?
Original post by Alexion

Had a bad EPQ experience myself, so I'd recommend doing the 4, but other people will say otherwise :cute:
do you mind saying why it was a bad experience?
Reply 6
Original post by ameenatariq
do you mind saying why it was a bad experience?

Started about three months late, supervisor didn't really tell us what we were doing, didn't really give much advice once we'd started... by the time I got around to switching groups, everyone else was so far through it that I just said "**** it" and dropped out of it
Original post by Alexion
Started about three months late, supervisor didn't really tell us what we were doing, didn't really give much advice once we'd started... by the time I got around to switching groups, everyone else was so far through it that I just said "**** it" and dropped out of it

What groups? I thought it was individual
Reply 8
What groups? I thought it was individual

It is, but we had EPQ classes with a teacher as the supervisor. It was quite well structured at my school, but my supervisor was useless :facepalm2:
Original post by Alexion
It is, but we had EPQ classes with a teacher as the supervisor. It was quite well structured at my school, but my supervisor was useless :facepalm2:

oh okay sorry to hear!
Original post by Alexion

Under the new tariff for entrants from 2017 onwards an EPQ is actually worth more than an AS level. AS levels are worth 40% of an A level while EPQ will remain at 50% of an A level.
oh okay sorry to hear!

If you're likely to end up working on your EPQ without a lot of support then it's worth going through https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project before it comes to the time to start work. It's something you can work through at your own pace but the first phase is about choosing the right subject for your EPQ.
Original post by PQ
If you're likely to end up working on your EPQ without a lot of support then it's worth going through https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project before it comes to the time to start work. It's something you can work through at your own pace but the first phase is about choosing the right subject for your EPQ.

thanks that was really useful! the duration is only 8 weeks?
Reply 13
you only need 3 a levels.
thanks that was really useful! the duration is only 8 weeks?

Because it's a free online thing it officially lasts 8 weeks but you can take as long as you like - you could do the first week exercises now and then come back to it in 3 months time no problem:smile: [there's a course on there I started in 2014 and still haven't got round to finishing :o: but the information is all still there]
3 with an EPQ. 4 A levels will be more stressful and really unless you are applying for the top universities you do not need 4 A levels (really don't even need EPQ). EPQ gives you more skills at uni which will be important in a dissertation etc like research skills and also helps with organisation and time management skill. As an added plus if the EPQ is related to your uni course then it shows your interest, mine is completely different but I wrote about skills I gained in my personal statement.
What is an EPQ?
Original post by Vikingninja
3 with an EPQ. 4 A levels will be more stressful and really unless you are applying for the top universities you do not need 4 A levels (really don't even need EPQ). EPQ gives you more skills at uni which will be important in a dissertation etc like research skills and also helps with organisation and time management skill. As an added plus if the EPQ is related to your uni course then it shows your interest, mine is completely different but I wrote about skills I gained in my personal statement.

my head of year said to do it on something not related to your a levels to show your different abilities.
my head of year said to do it on something not related to your a levels to show your different abilities.

Uni course not A level. For me it was more explained as: try not to perform a project related to what you learn in your A level subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest